Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
Site Team

Toad brake pedal mod

Here's an odd one but surely someone out there has seen this before
My toad is a 2006 Jeep liberty and the brake system is Invisibrake. The invisibrake works by attaching a small cable to the brake pedal that is pulled toward the floor when activated.
The issue I found, and did not anticipate is that the cable attachment had a bolt that sticks up higher than the brake pad. It pokes your shoe when you press the pedal.
I'm looking to add a brake pedal cover that will raise the pad even with the bolt. The covers I've seen at auto parts store are too thin.
Any thoughts?Click image for larger version

Name:	1555540688868.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	202007

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Wow.

I’ve driven more different kinds of vehicle types in my lifetime than I’d like to remember.

That said, and I’m not sure how they do it, there’s usually a fairly close difference in the height of the accelerator and the foot brake. If the difference becomes too significant, you may find your foot getting hung up on the back side of the brake pedal in a panic situation. A panic situation.....when it really matters.

Your photo does show that bolt sticking up higher than the brake pad, and I know there are lots of others out there with the Invisibrake brand, but I’ve never heard anyone else mentioning this attachment issue. Any possibility it’s mounted incorrectly?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:13 PM   #3
Site Team

Ok. Roadmaster tech says it's installed backwards. It should be protruding forward. I'll try and turn it and adjust cable accordingly.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Wow.

I’ve driven more different kinds of vehicle types in my lifetime than I’d like to remember.

That said, and I’m not sure how they do it, there’s usually a fairly close difference in the height of the accelerator and the foot brake. If the difference becomes too significant, you may find your foot getting hung up on the back side of the brake pedal in a panic situation. A panic situation.....when it really matters.

Your photo does show that bolt sticking up higher than the brake pad, and I know there are lots of others out there with the Invisibrake brand, but I’ve never heard anyone else mentioning this attachment issue. Any possibility it’s mounted incorrectly?
You nailed it! Thanks.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:54 PM   #5

Camping World installed mine exactly the same way. Unfortunately, for me, when I pressed the brake pedal, the bolt would cause my foot to slip off the brake onto the gas. The brake attachment can be installed on either side of the pedal, facing the firewall or the driver.

As already recommended, you need to remount it so it faces the firewall.

If the actuator cylinder was installed under the dash and the actuator cable was coiled up, the system will shortly fail. Coiling the actuator cable creates enough friction in it that the actuator can't pull the cable to apply the brakes. The actuator cylinder needs to be under the driver or passenger seat. If the cable is still too long, ask the dealer to contact Roadmaster to request a custom actuator cable, cut to the exact length your vehicle needs. When Roadmaster redid my installation, they replaced the long cable with a shorter one because the cable supplied with the kit was too long for a Yaris. Dealers cannot shorten the cable because it requires a special machine to attach the terminator to the end of the cable.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:06 PM   #6

It's not installed wrong. It can be installed in either direction per the installation instructions. If when installed the other way (preferred) and it bottoms out at the pully (firewall) it is supposed to be installed as is done on the OP's vehicle. This may have been why it was installed the way it is.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:14 AM   #7
Site Team

I got a copy of installation instructions from Roadmaster and it does show this way as an optional way if mounting the pedal bracket. I'm going to see if it can be turned the other way without being too close to the pulley. And, I'll check the cable routing also. Thanks guys.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I got a copy of installation instructions from Roadmaster and it does show this way as an optional way if mounting the pedal bracket. I'm going to see if it can be turned the other way without being too close to the pulley. And, I'll check the cable routing also. Thanks guys.
If you’re applying the brakes really hard, and you’re coming into contact with the pulley.....

RELEASE THE ANCHOR!!!!

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #9
DW's 401(k) Plan

Boy, have I got the mod for you! I'll have to do some digging for the pic. But, I will find it.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #10
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Boy, have I got the mod for you! I'll have to do some digging for the pic. But, I will find it.
Here you go....
2 cables... one cable is my Ready Brute brake the other is my toad breakaway cable.
Drill the brake pedal arm, secure cables around individual plastic wheels, insert clevis pin through washer/wheel/washer/brake arm/washer/plastic wheel/washer then insert cotter pin. When not in use, pull clevis pin and hide cables under floor mat. This keeps the brake cable from constantly moving in the sheathing.Click image for larger version

Name:	20160904_163037.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	202199

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 04-19-2019, 09:29 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Here you go....
2 cables... one cable is my Ready Brute brake the other is my toad breakaway cable.
Drill the brake pedal arm, secure cables around individual plastic wheels, insert clevis pin through washer/wheel/washer/brake arm/washer/plastic wheel/washer then insert cotter pin. When not in use, pull clevis pin and hide cables under floor mat. This keeps the brake cable from constantly moving in the sheathing.Attachment 202199
Certainly looks doable. Is this the Stay n Play system?
I have a pulley on the firewall and my cable is all inside the passenger compartment with invisibrake.
I will have a look at it after Easter. This does give me some new ideas. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:32 AM   #12
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Certainly looks doable. Is this the Stay n Play system?
I have a pulley on the firewall and my cable is all inside the passenger compartment with invisibrake.
I will have a look at it after Easter. This does give me some new ideas. Thanks.
No, it is not the Stay 'n Play - this is the NSA Ready Brake cable (on the left of brake arm) and the NSA Break Away cable system on the other side. In the picture on the left of the brake arm at the firewall, you can see the one cable coming out of the firewall.
I have used this system exclusively for 3 years now and have had no issues. I don't claim to be the "inventor" of the modification using the plastic wheels and the clevis pin - as with most mods, I too, was looking for a solution to the cumbersome way the cable was mounted between brake arm and brackets.
I hope this helps you in some way.
Larry

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 04-20-2019, 06:33 AM   #13

Help me out here. I don't toe a toad...never have. I understand how the brake systems work, but what I haven't quite figured out is how does it know how much force to apply to the pedal ? With the engine off, you no longer have the assist of the power brakes and each time you step on the pedal it gets stiffer. Is there a setup that you do to overcome this ?
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #14
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Help me out here. I don't toe a toad...never have. I understand how the brake systems work, but what I haven't quite figured out is how does it know how much force to apply to the pedal ? With the engine off, you no longer have the assist of the power brakes and each time you step on the pedal it gets stiffer. Is there a setup that you do to overcome this ?
Nope, nothing other than what I have shown or what the instructions call for, which is just secure the cable to the brake pedal arm.
To quote one of my friends... "How do it know?" "I gots no idea.... it just do". And it works just fine. Guess the Ready Brake knows to tug extra hard on the cable. [emoji6]

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 04-22-2019, 10:20 PM   #15

Quote:

The Roadmaster Invisibrake installation includes a tap into the toad's vacuum system. When the brakes are applied, a pump in the control box pulls vacuum for the toad's vacuum assisted brakes and uses the air pulled to actuate the control cylinder that pulls the brake pedal towards the floor.

There's an adjustment on the control unit that adjusts the maximum amount of force that is applied to the brake pedal. The way this system works, the brakes are initially gently applied and with continued application, the pedal gets more and more pull on it, increasing the braking force.

The Invisibrake system also has a "too much braking" detector and will release the brakes of the toad after this interval, around 30 seconds. There's an audible alarm and visual indicator in the rig when this happens. If you still need the brakes applied, just release the brake pedal in the rig then reapply and you get another 30 seconds.

The Invisibrake system also provides a trickle charge to the toad's battery by stealing a little bit of power from the power line for the taillights. As long as you drive with the rig's parking lights on, (which turns on the taillights - a good safety precaution when towing) the toad's battery will never run down.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:01 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
I can't answer for other brands, and still learning mine, but the invisibrake has an onboard compressor and is tapped into the vacuum system of the jeep brakes so the jeep always has "power" brakes. You adjust how much braking assist you get from the toad by turning up or down the psi supplied by the compressor.
Very interesting videos on YouTube about these toad brakes.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #17
Site Team

I finally got time to turn the brake pedal bracket around today. Much better. No longer feel cable end pushing into you foot.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190501_150837614.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	203388

Tags
toad