Old 04-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #11

We absolutely love our 2012 Sahara 4-dr Wrangler. We are close to 10,000 miles already and I haven't found 1 thing to complain about. The road noise is barely noticable whether we have the soft top or hard top on. Test drive one and you'll also love it. We average 21-22 MPG with the 6-speed.

With regards to the 5K hitch rating, yeah at 4100lbs I have roughly 20% margin against the rating. I assume you can pull right up to the 5000lb limit safely. I am an engineer and rule #1: you never design something without margin. I doubt the hitch breaks at 5001 lbs. I did buy the blue-ox tow bar rated for 6500lb though to provide extra margin on that part.

I am also adding my bike rack to the Jeep-hitch which will add another 200lbs when loaded with 4 bikes, but I still feel safe within my limits.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
Retired US Army CW4

I tow a 2011 JKU. I bought an adapter plug from the dealer that plugs into the existing wiring harness on the Jeep and has a round 7 blade plug that plugs into the motorhome. Works great and there is no additional wiring or parts to run the Jeep tail lights off of the motorhome.

Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt247 View Post
Thanks for the replies, that's very helpful.

Do you leave the key on or off? I am considering using a battery jumper box in the passenger seat to use as the cigarette lighter for the Patriot, this won't draw on the Toad battery.

As far as the wiring, a little more research and I found the Blue Ox EZ light kit BX88285 which has a diode controller. This wiring assembly has mating connectors for the tailight assembly. No drilling, no bulbs, no splicing then just run the 4-wire cable to the front of the Wrangler.
We have a Patriot braking system and plug it into the toad's 12 volt socket. We have towed it for two days (8 to 10 hours total) and the battery still started it okay. I carry a booster battery anyway. Our toad is a 97 Pathfinder and we have to switch the key to an "accessories" postion to power the 12 volt socket. The ignition and almost everything else is off in this position. A few times we have accidentally switched the key to the "ignition on" position. After about 4 hours the Patriot remote gave a warning that the battery voltage is low. Unless you tow for several days without starting your toad you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #14

We test drove a 2008 Jeep Wrangler with our 6-foot-4 son. He fit. And the noise wasn't too bad, so he could hear OK from the back seat. Then again, I don't think he is all that interested in anything we have to say anyway!
We'll be selling the 2012 Suburban and getting a Jeep in the next week or so. Sunseeker, here we come!