Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #1

Toad - Jeep Wrangler 4Dr w\manual tranny

I am getting ready to finally start towing our Jeep with the 3170 Sunseeker. My research has narrowed by parts selection to:

Blue Ox Alpha tow bar BX7365 rated for 6500lb, Patriot Brake system BX2012, Blue Ox Baseplate BX1126, and taillight wiring kit BX8869.

Couple questions:
1. Does anyone have the same Toad? can you share your thoughts?

2. Also, I read in the Blue Ox Dinghy Tow Guide for this vehicle: Transfer case in nuetral, put transmission in gear. Is this correct? If so, what gear? and do you leave the key on to prevent steering lock?

thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #2

we have a 2012 jeep wrangler 2 door with a manual transmission. we have the blue ox base plate installed, blue ox aladin tow bar. transfer case neutral, transmission 5th or 6th. our wrangler doesn't have a steering wheel lock. we've towed it over 10,000 miles no issues. but have just bought the blue ox brake brk2012 and haven't towed with it yet. for lights i bought the extra bulb in tail light kit but didn't install it because i didn't want to drill big holes in a new jeep so i built a light bar that goes into a receiver and ran separate wiring from the rv plugin to the rear so i didn't need to use diodes in the jeep wiring.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
we have a 2012 jeep wrangler 2 door with a manual transmission. we have the blue ox base plate installed, blue ox aladin tow bar. transfer case neutral, transmission 5th or 6th. our wrangler doesn't have a steering wheel lock. we've towed it over 10,000 miles no issues. but have just bought the blue ox brake brk2012 and haven't towed with it yet. for lights i bought the extra bulb in tail light kit but didn't install it because i didn't want to drill big holes in a new jeep so i built a light bar that goes into a receiver and ran separate wiring from the rv plugin to the rear so i didn't need to use diodes in the jeep wiring.
everything above poster says is spot on. but in my opinion drilling a hole in the tail light would be my choice have done it twice on my 1st 1(2010) i put it in reverse , on my current 1 i use park. my next venture out i am going to toad my wife.s explorer
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:51 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies, that's very helpful.

Do you leave the key on or off? I am considering using a battery jumper box in the passenger seat to use as the cigarette lighter for the Patriot, this won't draw on the Toad battery.

As far as the wiring, a little more research and I found the Blue Ox EZ light kit BX88285 which has a diode controller. This wiring assembly has mating connectors for the tailight assembly. No drilling, no bulbs, no splicing then just run the 4-wire cable to the front of the Wrangler.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #5

I have a1995 wrangler that I have towed behind my trucks for over ten years. I use a Reese Tow bar from CW. Transfer case in neutral, tranny in neutral and key turned slightly to the on position. Turned enough to free the steering yet not enough to run any electrical. Never any issues.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #6

no key required. i plan on plugging in the brake system into the outlet in the center console that is energized all the time.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #7

I just rigged my new rv and jeep wrangler unlimited (4door, auto trans) as well. Blue ox Aventa, clips that Blue Ox made to directly connect to my after-market bumper, and I am running their Patriot braking system. I used cool tech wiring which I ran myself--very simple and works perfectly.

No steering lock so no key needed..front wheels turn nicely under tow. I bought and installed a battery disconnect switch but it turns out that I don't need that, and since the brake box requires power from the jeep, the battery disconnect is not compatible.

I have Towed it for about 10 hours so far and I cannot say enough positives. Blue Ox rocks. That towbar is so easy to connect and it pulls so nicely that you couldn't ask for more. Their brake box works perfectly too. The cool tech light Barnes is shockingly easy to wire if you are at all handy and it works as described.

Oh --I also have a blue ox 8" riser bar. Read up on the importance of a level towbar between rv and jeep. The physics of that is important. You want the bar to be as level as possible to provide the most secure and safe connection.

Good luck!
statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt247 View Post

Do you leave the key on or off? I am considering using a battery jumper box in the passenger seat to use as the cigarette lighter for the Patriot, this won't draw on the Toad battery.

As far as the wiring, a little more research and I found the Blue Ox EZ light kit BX88285 which has a diode controller. This wiring assembly has mating connectors for the tailight assembly. No drilling, no bulbs, no splicing then just run the 4-wire cable to the front of the Wrangler.
i dont think your battery jumper wont have enough amperage to provide power to your brake buddy ,on my reserve battery jumper the out let is regulated to 5 amps my brake buddy draws more than that (i dont know how much more just know it wont pump up the air cylinder)but my jeep batt has never died,i have now toad my explorer (key left on) glad i had my batt jumper with me
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #9

Here are a few pix of my tow rig. Blue Ox made the clips that will attach directly to my Smitty Bilt bumper--and others with a 1" hole x 1" thick steel D-clips. Note that these are double welded onto solid steel, and the bumper itself bolts directly to the Jeep frame (where otherwise you'd bolt your tow bar clips, plus several smaller bolts to the frame bumper too). This is one awesome tow rig. Note the 8" riser too that provides a level connection between toad and RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2005226077.jpg
Views:	12096
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	24563   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2304306706.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	24564   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3946257977.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	24565   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-515950198.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	24566  
statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #10

This is exactly the information we were looking for, too, as we are about to trade in our Suburban/TT set up for a Sunseeker 3170/Dinghy set up. DH wants to get the Wrangler so this is very helpful.
A few questions: how much road noise do you get in the Wrangler? Our DS16 is hard of hearing and our DD13 also wears hearing aids.
Looks like the Jeep weighs about 4,100 lbs. isn't that cutting it close to the 5k tow rating?
Thanks!
tgtiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #11

We absolutely love our 2012 Sahara 4-dr Wrangler. We are close to 10,000 miles already and I haven't found 1 thing to complain about. The road noise is barely noticable whether we have the soft top or hard top on. Test drive one and you'll also love it. We average 21-22 MPG with the 6-speed.

With regards to the 5K hitch rating, yeah at 4100lbs I have roughly 20% margin against the rating. I assume you can pull right up to the 5000lb limit safely. I am an engineer and rule #1: you never design something without margin. I doubt the hitch breaks at 5001 lbs. I did buy the blue-ox tow bar rated for 6500lb though to provide extra margin on that part.

I am also adding my bike rack to the Jeep-hitch which will add another 200lbs when loaded with 4 bikes, but I still feel safe within my limits.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #12
Retired US Army CW4

I tow a 2011 JKU. I bought an adapter plug from the dealer that plugs into the existing wiring harness on the Jeep and has a round 7 blade plug that plugs into the motorhome. Works great and there is no additional wiring or parts to run the Jeep tail lights off of the motorhome.
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt247 View Post

We have a Patriot braking system and plug it into the toad's 12 volt socket. We have towed it for two days (8 to 10 hours total) and the battery still started it okay. I carry a booster battery anyway. Our toad is a 97 Pathfinder and we have to switch the key to an "accessories" postion to power the 12 volt socket. The ignition and almost everything else is off in this position. A few times we have accidentally switched the key to the "ignition on" position. After about 4 hours the Patriot remote gave a warning that the battery voltage is low. Unless you tow for several days without starting your toad you shouldn't have a problem.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #14

We test drove a 2008 Jeep Wrangler with our 6-foot-4 son. He fit. And the noise wasn't too bad, so he could hear OK from the back seat. Then again, I don't think he is all that interested in anything we have to say anyway!
We'll be selling the 2012 Suburban and getting a Jeep in the next week or so. Sunseeker, here we come!
tgtiburon is offline   Reply With Quote