Old 03-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #1

tongue weight

Hey guys a newbie here. I plan on purchasing a 19rr and am trying to figure out tongue weight. I am purchasing a propride hitch(195#s). The trailer will be about 6000# with a tongue weight of 13%-780#s. Do I add the hitch weight and tank weight to the total weight or the 780 weight?

Old 03-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #2

I bought one last fall - towed it home and now I'm getting ready for some camping! This is a tricky area and Im sure one of our fine gurus will chim in. The way I was told by dealer was to just measure the difference with WDH bar off then with them on and use this a s a starting point. Im just learning this also. At least two inch drop good start with bars on.
My set up:
Reese pro series 800# round bar hitch it includes:
1- Adjustable hitch head
1- 2 5/16 ball
2- 800# lift bars
2- lift brackets
2- chains
1- Reese friction sway control

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #3

When I did my calculation I added total weight of battery, propane tanks and ProPride hitch assembly......

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #4

The best way to determine tongue weight is with a scale. But you knew that. I bought one from etrailer and I weigh the tongue every time I hook up. You have the "published" tongue weight from the manufacturer. Take that with a grain of salt. Now you add 2 20 lb. gas tanks. battery and mounting hardware and that's about 120 lbs. A conventional hitch weighs about 100 lbs. Now add your gear at the front of the trailer and anything behind the rear axel of your truck. That will give you a ball park figure of you tongue weight.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:55 AM   #5
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwryd66 View Post
... with a tongue weight of 13%-780#s. Do I add the hitch weight and tank weight to the total weight or the 780 weight?
You won't know that until you weigh it. Aim for 11 to 15 percent of TT gross weight. Ensure that the RV is loaded to go and that the P-tanks are full when you weigh the hitch. That will give you a baseline tongue weight that requires no further math to get you going.
)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwryd66 View Post
Hey guys a newbie here. I plan on purchasing a 19rr and am trying to figure out tongue weight. I am purchasing a propride hitch(195#s). The trailer will be about 6000# with a tongue weight of 13%-780#s. Do I add the hitch weight and tank weight to the total weight or the 780 weight?

Just buy a sureline tongue weight scale then you'll know each and every time you hook up . it can be a great asset to loading correctly also . about 118 shipped and well worth it . no guessing involved . A scale to weigh everything you load will also give you a good idea how much you pack in your unit
Old 03-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #7

Quick question about the whole 11-15% target. That 11-15% is a percentage of what your trailer weighs for that specific trip and not the TT's GVWR correct? So that 11-15% will never be the same, unless you load up your trailer exactly the same every time right? Or is static? Example my TT gross is 6402 lbs so at 15% my TW should be 960 lbs every time because my GVWR is never going to change.

I've been wondering about this. It seems to me that the only way to use the TW scale accurately would be to take the TT to the scales to weigh first, then use the TW scale to determine if you're on target. But couldn't this be done just as well while you're at the scale weighing the TT? If so, why even bother with the TW scale? If the number was static, then I could see purchasing the TW scale for home. Or am over/under thinking this?

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s GVWR
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
Quick question about the whole 11-15% target. That 11-15% is a percentage of what your trailer weighs for that specific trip and not the TT's GVWR correct? So that 11-15% will never be the same, unless you load up your trailer exactly the same every time right? Or is static? Example my TT gross is 6402 lbs so at 15% my TW should be 960 lbs every time because my GVWR is never going to change.

I've been wondering about this. It seems to me that the only way to use the TW scale accurately would be to take the TT to the scales to weigh first, then use the TW scale to determine if you're on target. But couldn't this be done just as well while you're at the scale weighing the TT? If so, why even bother with the TW scale? If the number was static, then I could see purchasing the TW scale for home. Or am over/under thinking this?

Why would the only way to use it accurately be to take it to scales ?
you are limited to so much cargo and if going to a scale to see how much you loaded then maybe you're right .
however if you know your dry weight which you should and being a smart loader you know the weight of everything you pack so you don't go over your GVWR in the first place . the TW scale allows you to load your unit accurately with out the need to run to the scales every time you go some where
Old 03-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post

The tongue weight you are looking for is loaded and ready to camping. Keep in mind that anything in the bed of your truck behind the rear axel is also considered tongue weight. I have the scale and weigh each time I hook up. Even though all my gear is in boxes and has been weighed and lives in exactly the same place on the trailer the weight does fluctuate some. On my truck I have to be careful in order to stay under payload so that's why I weigh each time out. The scale has come in handy for other things as well and I feel like it was a good investment.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:12 PM   #10

Thanks for the responses. They make sense once you get initial weights so I can see how it'd be a good investment. Maybe I'll pick one up.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s GVWR
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight