Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #11
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
...so I never was able to close the loop on P and sway but from what other have experienced that is a major component contributing to it...Brian
I can give you my experience with P tires and a 5er, I did not notice any sway, but the tire wear on the front and rear was atrocious. I put a new set of Goodyear Fortera HL on and @ 25,000 miles, all 4 were down to 4/32" tread left even tho' I rotated them every 5,000 and always ran 44# when towing. Put GY Wrangler LR E on and have over 25,000 on them and they still have 10/32" left of the original12/32" running 60#front/65#rear.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Stormrider151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South East
Posts: 915
I did a little shopping for LT's (feeling a little violated right now) but Tire rack looks about the best. It'll have to wait until Uncle Sam pony's up (if he does). But I'll be putting LT's on my truck for sure.
__________________

__________________
Retired Fire Dept Battalion Chief
2016 Ever-Lite 232RBS
2012 F150 FX4 W/Max tow & Ecoboost

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #13
Site Team
 
acadianbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,915
If you are tongue high, that is definitely a problem. That is sway inducing right there. Tackling that issue is the first thing you need to do. A common culprit there is if the ball on your truck is positioned too high. Get your trailer on the level (not hooked up) and measure the height from the ground to the inside of the coupler. The height of the ball on your truck (unloaded) should be approximately 1" higher that your trailer measurement.

etrailer.com has some excellent information posted on their web site on adjusting hitches.
__________________
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/acadianbob/IMG_2757.jpg
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Florida East Coast
Posts: 195
You might try lowering your hitch height to make the trailer level before doing anything else. I towed an 8000 pound trailer almost 17000 miles to Alaska and back this summer using a 1500 Silverado with P rated tires that came on the truck and a 4 point Equalizer hitch. No sway at all even when semis passed me on the interstates. My hitch weight is about 12% of the loaded trailer weight. I think if you are nose high it might have a detrimental effect on your stability.
__________________
Windjammin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:36 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Stormrider151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South East
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
If you are tongue high, that is definitely a problem. That is sway inducing right there. Tackling that issue is the first thing you need to do. A common culprit there is if the ball on your truck is positioned too high. Get your trailer on the level (not hooked up) and measure the height from the ground to the inside of the coupler. The height of the ball on your truck (unloaded) should be approximately 1" higher that your trailer measurement.

etrailer.com has some excellent information posted on their web site on adjusting hitches.
I'll bet I've watched their video 15 times and have memorized the instructions that came with the hitch. It is obviously hitch high so I'm going to do it myself and make sure it's right. Dealers don't seem to put a lot of effort into setting hitch's right. Sometimes I think they figure they do it so much they take short cuts they shouldn't. This kid was new to the dealer and "Learning". My luck.
__________________
Retired Fire Dept Battalion Chief
2016 Ever-Lite 232RBS
2012 F150 FX4 W/Max tow & Ecoboost

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:33 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
SKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,428
Let me get this straight. You're looking at spending big dollars to change six tenths of one percent, loaded and ready to go? At 10.5lbs per 1% of tongue weight you're looking at trying to relieve six pounds?

If you're worried about it toss all the clothing into baskets and set them at the rear of the camper when traveling. Canned food too. No way I'd spend money on smaller lp tanks or lithium batteries over six pounds.

Figure out what tools you need to reset the hitch, find a nice flat level parking lot, make it right and tow happy.
__________________
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
raspivey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
My understanding is tongue weight should be within 10% to 15% of loaded trailer weight.
Is "normally" between 10-15%....doesn't "have" to be, although general consensus is that you want at least 10% pushing down on the ball. Some trailers are designed nose heavy. The main thing is to have more weight in front of the trailer axles than behind them and enough weight to keep it from bouncing loose.
__________________
2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ - HD tow package
2017 Rockwood 2703WS Emerald Edition
raspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:32 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Stormrider151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South East
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Let me get this straight. You're looking at spending big dollars to change six tenths of one percent, loaded and ready to go? At 10.5lbs per 1% of tongue weight you're looking at trying to relieve six pounds?

If you're worried about it toss all the clothing into baskets and set them at the rear of the camper when traveling. Canned food too. No way I'd spend money on smaller lp tanks or lithium batteries over six pounds.

Figure out what tools you need to reset the hitch, find a nice flat level parking lot, make it right and tow happy.
Actually I was hoping to reduce the weight down 2.6%. I really need to reduce the payload on the truck. I'm over by about 150# and thought I had room on the tongue. There's nothing in the truck except a few tools and the two of us. But I have added a bed cover, running boards and a grill guard which takes away from my load capacity. The battery I was just curious about. The rest I already have.
__________________
Retired Fire Dept Battalion Chief
2016 Ever-Lite 232RBS
2012 F150 FX4 W/Max tow & Ecoboost

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #19
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
Actually I was hoping to reduce the weight down 2.6%. I really need to reduce the payload on the truck. I'm over by about 150# and thought I had room on the tongue. There's nothing in the truck except a few tools and the two of us. But I have added a bed cover, running boards and a grill guard which takes away from my load capacity. The battery I was just curious about. The rest I already have.
For 150#, I wouldn't waste the effort. The scales could be off that much. The world won't come to an end and it sure isn't going to cause your truck any problems.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Taranwanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
...and maybe I should just bite the bullet and go ahead and do it.
Yes, you should. Keep the P tires for another vehicle if you have one and they fit, or sell them to a local used tire place, but get them off your rig if you're towing something that big. There's no set of tires in the world that's worth risking your safety, plus that of your family, your truck, your camper, and everyone else around you on the road.

I would also not drop the propane tanks to 20 pounders--the weight savings will be negligible and you'll regret not having that extra capacity. Move things around if you must, but I think the prior advice on the WDH set up and hitch height is going to solve half your problem, with the other half being good LT tires...
__________________

__________________
2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)27 ('17) 20
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weight

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 AM.