Old 11-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
...so I never was able to close the loop on P and sway but from what other have experienced that is a major component contributing to it...Brian
I can give you my experience with P tires and a 5er, I did not notice any sway, but the tire wear on the front and rear was atrocious. I put a new set of Goodyear Fortera HL on and @ 25,000 miles, all 4 were down to 4/32" tread left even tho' I rotated them every 5,000 and always ran 44# when towing. Put GY Wrangler LR E on and have over 25,000 on them and they still have 10/32" left of the original12/32" running 60#front/65#rear.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #12

I did a little shopping for LT's (feeling a little violated right now) but Tire rack looks about the best. It'll have to wait until Uncle Sam pony's up (if he does). But I'll be putting LT's on my truck for sure.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #13
Site Team

If you are tongue high, that is definitely a problem. That is sway inducing right there. Tackling that issue is the first thing you need to do. A common culprit there is if the ball on your truck is positioned too high. Get your trailer on the level (not hooked up) and measure the height from the ground to the inside of the coupler. The height of the ball on your truck (unloaded) should be approximately 1" higher that your trailer measurement.

etrailer.com has some excellent information posted on their web site on adjusting hitches.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #14

You might try lowering your hitch height to make the trailer level before doing anything else. I towed an 8000 pound trailer almost 17000 miles to Alaska and back this summer using a 1500 Silverado with P rated tires that came on the truck and a 4 point Equalizer hitch. No sway at all even when semis passed me on the interstates. My hitch weight is about 12% of the loaded trailer weight. I think if you are nose high it might have a detrimental effect on your stability.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
If you are tongue high, that is definitely a problem. That is sway inducing right there. Tackling that issue is the first thing you need to do. A common culprit there is if the ball on your truck is positioned too high. Get your trailer on the level (not hooked up) and measure the height from the ground to the inside of the coupler. The height of the ball on your truck (unloaded) should be approximately 1" higher that your trailer measurement.

etrailer.com has some excellent information posted on their web site on adjusting hitches.
I'll bet I've watched their video 15 times and have memorized the instructions that came with the hitch. It is obviously hitch high so I'm going to do it myself and make sure it's right. Dealers don't seem to put a lot of effort into setting hitch's right. Sometimes I think they figure they do it so much they take short cuts they shouldn't. This kid was new to the dealer and "Learning". My luck.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:33 AM   #16

Let me get this straight. You're looking at spending big dollars to change six tenths of one percent, loaded and ready to go? At 10.5lbs per 1% of tongue weight you're looking at trying to relieve six pounds?

If you're worried about it toss all the clothing into baskets and set them at the rear of the camper when traveling. Canned food too. No way I'd spend money on smaller lp tanks or lithium batteries over six pounds.

Figure out what tools you need to reset the hitch, find a nice flat level parking lot, make it right and tow happy.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
My understanding is tongue weight should be within 10% to 15% of loaded trailer weight.
Is "normally" between 10-15%....doesn't "have" to be, although general consensus is that you want at least 10% pushing down on the ball. Some trailers are designed nose heavy. The main thing is to have more weight in front of the trailer axles than behind them and enough weight to keep it from bouncing loose.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Let me get this straight. You're looking at spending big dollars to change six tenths of one percent, loaded and ready to go? At 10.5lbs per 1% of tongue weight you're looking at trying to relieve six pounds?

If you're worried about it toss all the clothing into baskets and set them at the rear of the camper when traveling. Canned food too. No way I'd spend money on smaller lp tanks or lithium batteries over six pounds.

Figure out what tools you need to reset the hitch, find a nice flat level parking lot, make it right and tow happy.
Actually I was hoping to reduce the weight down 2.6%. I really need to reduce the payload on the truck. I'm over by about 150# and thought I had room on the tongue. There's nothing in the truck except a few tools and the two of us. But I have added a bed cover, running boards and a grill guard which takes away from my load capacity. The battery I was just curious about. The rest I already have.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Actually I was hoping to reduce the weight down 2.6%. I really need to reduce the payload on the truck. I'm over by about 150# and thought I had room on the tongue. There's nothing in the truck except a few tools and the two of us. But I have added a bed cover, running boards and a grill guard which takes away from my load capacity. The battery I was just curious about. The rest I already have.
For 150#, I wouldn't waste the effort. The scales could be off that much. The world won't come to an end and it sure isn't going to cause your truck any problems.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #20

Quote:
...and maybe I should just bite the bullet and go ahead and do it.
Yes, you should. Keep the P tires for another vehicle if you have one and they fit, or sell them to a local used tire place, but get them off your rig if you're towing something that big. There's no set of tires in the world that's worth risking your safety, plus that of your family, your truck, your camper, and everyone else around you on the road.

I would also not drop the propane tanks to 20 pounders--the weight savings will be negligible and you'll regret not having that extra capacity. Move things around if you must, but I think the prior advice on the WDH set up and hitch height is going to solve half your problem, with the other half being good LT tires...

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight