Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #1

tongue weight scale?

Hi all!

Does anyone know of an accurate tongue weight scale available? I have read reviews of the sherline units and some mention being off by 40-50 lbs + or-. That's not very accurate...lol. I need to be very aware of this I am going to be within that range for the max weight of 350 lbs with a class 2 hitch.

I am about 8 miles from a truck stop but hauling the pup there every time we go out and then moving stuff around to compensate is sure a pain compared to doing it in the driveway.
61cubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Save your money!

This is nearly as accurate and as long as you borrow the bathroom scale when the DW is not home it should go pretty smoothly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tonguescale.gif
Views:	150
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	73816  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:03 PM   #3

I have checked my tongue weight with two different scales; one a Sherline and it was within 5 lbs. Many don't realize that when checking the tongue weight with a scale, you need to have the same angle as when being towed. Or some check it when the trailer is level. I prefer the actual towed angle of the tongue.

Just remembered. If the Sherline is not handled correctly; basically lifted by the piston, air can enter the scale. You need to check to make sure there is no air bubble in the Sherline's fluid. It is easy to purge the air.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
I have checked my tongue weight with two different scales; one a Sherline and it was within 5 lbs. Many don't realize that when checking the tongue weight with a scale, you need to have the same angle as when being towed. Or some check it when the trailer is level. I prefer the actual towed angle of the tongue.
As long as the center of gravity falls between the 4 tires of a dual axle trailer, changing the towing angle a few degrees should not change the tongue weight more than a few pounds. On a single axle trailer you are certainly correct.

Your technique is certainly not "wrong" by any means but on a 2 or more axle trailer just not as significant.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #5

Good point...
But need to ask, would that change depending on where the dual axles are located? I have noticed that it appears that trailers like Airstreams, the axle (at least to me) appear to be further back than on some other trailers I have seen.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Good point...
But need to ask, would that change depending on where the dual axles are located? I have noticed that it appears that trailers like Airstreams, the axle (at least to me) appear to be further back than on some other trailers I have seen.
Not to totally hijack the thread, but where the axles are located do effect the tongue weight. However, since the manufacturer places the axles so as to have the center of gravity fall between the axles to optimize the tongue to total trailer weight ratio (when empty and when loaded to its GVWR using provided storage).

Optimum towing ratio is when the tongue weight to total camper weight falls in the 10 -14% range with 12% optimum. Trailers with heavy "butts" (rear kitchen models or dual slide rear living rooms) have the axles located farther to the rear. Properly designed campers have near equal weight located fore and aft of the axle group with the proper "to truck" overhang in the 11.5 to 12.5% range.

Airstreams as you note, typically, don't have slides. Therefore the kitchen/bathroom location usually determines axle placement.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #7

Great, thanks for the info. I have also read about putting the tongue scale onto a floor jack to lift it up to the proper angle to get a more accurate weight?

I am pulling a rockwood 2514g. Loaded and with options weight should come about 3 to 3100 lbs. TV can handle this ok but max tongue weight is 350. Dry hitch weight says 303 and I know that doesn't include battery (1x group 24) and 40 lbs for propane so where I load will be very important.

TV is a Terrain Denali with factory tow pkg, 300hp V6, and AWD. GVWR is 5300 and GCWR is 8157 so not really worried about much other than tongue weight. We don't carry much with us now and that shouldn't change. Just 2 of us so 400lbs for us and 100lbs of dogs...lol.
61cubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight