Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2016, 10:52 PM   #1

Tonneau Cover & Bedrug in 5th Wheel Tow Vehicle

If you like to use you tow vehicle bed with a tonneau cover without having to remove it when towing your rig, I have an Undercover Flex on my GMC Denali HD standard bed truck and I can tow with just 2 of the 3 sections folded back. This setup enables me to keep my cover in place....keep things dry under the forward section while towing...and close it up when I use my vehicle after un-hitching at the camp spot.

I also trimmed out small sections of my Bedrug....just enough for the hitch rail pins. So, when the hitch is out of the truck, I can easily slide a sheet of plywood into the bed without catching on the rails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150131_113100_resized.jpg
Views:	6546
Size:	514.1 KB
ID:	127281   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140719_090602_resized.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	127282   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150131_103410_resized.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	598.5 KB
ID:	127283  

2014 Spartan 1032
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD/Duramax
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:01 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Nice setup...thanks for sharing.

I went with a Retrax Pro aluminum rollback cover. I chose this one as at the time security was my primary concern. I feel it's as secure as any cars trunk would be.

While I do like the rollback a lot, I will probably go with a BakFlip or similar cover like yours if there's ever a "next time around". The storage box for the rollback gets in the way more often than I thought it would and it's just too much trouble to R&R the whole thing.

Being able to leave the hitch in the truck at all times and have it completely protected from the elements is awesome.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #3

Looks good. I have the factory tri fold tonneau and bed rug on my 2015 2500HD. Wife and I have been staring at fifth wheel trailers.

My fantasy is to put in a B&W turnover ball in my truck, then use a reese goosebox type of pin box so I can save some weight.
Then I don't have to take the big fifth wheel contraption out when I'm not towing, and have room for my golf stuff and other things.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #4

It does look good but, just my humble opinion I would never put in a bed rug in any pick-up truck. Why?

How do they repel grease/oil and water? I am consistently carrying used oil to a waste disposal site after changing my engine/transmission and axle oils. I always have lubricant from the hitch dropping on the bed of the truck, I have a slider hitch. When the truck is washed, the bed gets washed at the same time so how do I keep the bed rug dry? I do have a trifold tonneau cover but this is removed when towing my 5ER. So, the bed is subject to the elementals when towing.

I have had the bed sprayed with LINE-X bed liner when I purchased the truck new in Nov 07 and this has held up well for my needs.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
It does look good but, just my humble opinion I would never put in a bed rug in any pick-up truck. Why?

How do they repel grease/oil and water? I am consistently carrying used oil to a waste disposal site after changing my engine/transmission and axle oils. I always have lubricant from the hitch dropping on the bed of the truck, I have a slider hitch. When the truck is washed, the bed gets washed at the same time so how do I keep the bed rug dry? I do have a trifold tonneau cover but this is removed when towing my 5ER. So, the bed is subject to the elementals when towing.

I have had the bed sprayed with LINE-X bed liner when I purchased the truck new in Nov 07 and this has held up well for my needs.
Because it's a lot easier on my knees when I have to crawl into the bed for something, and a lot easier on my golf clubs and stuff that I haul around.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #6
WFD

I agree with Jim34RL...there must be moisture that gets trapped between the truck bed and the bed rug. I would be curious to see the shape of the truck bed after a few years...ie: rust?
Old 12-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post

I agree........

I currently have no bed liner as it died, but a rug for me would not be practical. I use my truck for a truck. The chain saw leaks bar oil, the fire wood and motor oil would probably ruin a rug. The trash barrels leak on the way to the dumpster. (No trash pick up here.)

I have been using a tri fold cover for several years when I am pulling one of the fifth wheels at least I can keep a third of the bed covered.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #8

We all use our trucks for different purposes....I am not here selling bedrugs or tonneau covers. The purpose was to show those who do use their truck with these accessories that they can be used while towing with a 5th wheel. That's it.

2014 Spartan 1032
Old 12-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #9
WFD

And we are just cautioning people to the possible downside...
Old 12-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #10

Looks great. My truck was that clean the day I bought it, well for about an hour anyway. The bed is NEVER empty, firewood, tools and god knows what lives back there. I never understood the bed rug thing. Good for grocery getters I guess. Spray in all the way, takes the abuse and you can hit it with a hose if you wash your truck (I do about every 4 years)...

Just bustin' b___s a bit. It does look clean and neat.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:41 PM   #11

As an FYI...the Bedrug is highly durable...resistant to solvents, water does not permeate it and you can shovel dirt off it. It fits like a glove and it is held in place by Velcro strips...easy to remove in a few minutes and hose it down if necessary. My bed underneath is clean as a whistle....and no water gets trapped causing rust. I have had it for 2 1/2 years and am very pleased. But again, we all use our trucks for different purposes....hence why there are so many different products and solutions out there.

2014 Spartan 1032
Old 12-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #12
RetiredRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMarty View Post
As an FYI...the Bedrug is highly durable...resistant to solvents, water does not permeate it and you can shovel dirt off it. It fits like a glove and it is held in place by Velcro strips...easy to remove in a few minutes and hose it down if necessary. My bed underneath is clean as a whistle....and no water gets trapped causing rust. I have had it for 2 1/2 years and am very pleased. But again, we all use our trucks for different purposes....hence why there are so many different products and solutions out there.
X2.....I have a bedrug in my 2016 Chevy 2500HD. It's not a "rug" as one would imagine, but a polypropylene material that is the most durable and easily cleaned material I have ever seen. I have had mine for two years, and there is no sign of rust anywhere in the bed. Much better then the liner I had in my Ram, which abraided the bed, and left rust spots everywhere. Besides, this bedrug is soft and easy on the knees. So, for all you nay-Sayers....don't knock it until you've tried it!
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:25 PM   #13

I have a 2009 Silverado 2500hd with a bed liner that has a thick rubber mat. I trimmed the mat to fit around the rails of my hitch .I also have a ton no - pro trip fold cover. I pulled my mat up to install a new pigtail bracket this past fall, after 8 years with the Matt no rust.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #14

I pull with a goose neck on my fiver. I just move the ball in and out as needed. I have the Ford fifth wheel hitch pkg and the ball / chain clamps came with the truck. I also have a tonneau cover that rolls up out of the way when towing. Additionally I have a 6x4 rubber backed rug that also rolls up out of the way when needed for towing or hauling but is really nice for my golf clubs, suit cases, and things that I do not want scratched up. The bed also came from the factory with a spray-in liner. I love options and flexibility.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #15

Security of PU bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
Nice setup...thanks for sharing.

I went with a Retrax Pro aluminum rollback cover. I chose this one as at the time security was my primary concern. I feel it's as secure as any cars trunk would be.

While I do like the rollback a lot, I will probably go with a BakFlip or similar cover like yours if there's ever a "next time around". The storage box for the rollback gets in the way more often than I thought it would and it's just too much trouble to R&R the whole thing.

Being able to leave the hitch in the truck at all times and have it completely protected from the elements is awesome.
I have a 2011 F150 with locking tailgate. I have a Tonneau Pro with the aluminum under the vinyl. This combo provides very good security- the cover can be opened only from below. It is easily removed (5 minutes max) and stored or carried in the bed (or back seat area if the full bed is needed). It is not completely water tight in a car wash or strong Tstorm, but I have cargo boxes for sensitive goods. I recommend Tonneau Pro highly- material quality, fast (next day) shipping, and not too pricey. Stands up well to our winter conditions here as well.

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I use a tri fold when towing too and like that I can keep my hitch away from the elements after I arrive at the campsite. The only down size is that I can't see the actual hook-up between the hitch and the king pin as the cover is in the way of my vision. Does anyone else have this issue? I wonder if I had a roll up if that would eliminate my issue.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMarty View Post

X2.... Another good thing about the bedrug is that mine is 6 years old it was originally in my 2010 Ram 1500, then my 2014 Ram 2500, now in my 2016 Ram 3500. That alone saves a lot, not having to buy a new one for each truck. My trifold cover is also off my 2014. The bedrug comes out real easy when I put the 5th wheel in.
2014 Shasta Phoenix 27RL Trade in
Rich H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:27 PM   #18

If you have a trip fold and can't see your hitch ,get a small mirror and mount it on to a piece of light steel with an angle bend in it and stick it on the king pin when backing up. I have installed a backup camera below my third brake light which works great but a cheap mirror and magnets work just as well
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:29 PM   #19

I don't tow a 5th wheeler but I do have an ARE cover and Bedrug on my Tundra and consider it the best thing since sliced bread. I have a secure, clean, HUGH trunk for all things wifey that need hauling and some of mine as well. I want my truck CLEAN and with the cover and rug it is easier, on me to keep it that way. As for hauling the dirty stuff, that is what the utility trailer is for. It is parked directly behind the truck in the garage so I can be hooked up and gone in less than a minute when needed.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:03 PM   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
The only problem I have encountered with folding two sections up is that I am down to about 3 inches clearance, so it is not bad when you are turning but you have to watch backing into uneven sights, you will tear the rubber seal. I have taken a piece of foam 4 inch pipe seal & put that split over the seal, it gives me a little protection & I can see when it starts to tear to stop & re-aline my exit. You can also re-glue the seal where it is ripped.

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, bed, cover, tow vehicle, wheel