Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2016, 06:45 AM   #41
Crusin81

number one cause of sway is not enough tongue weight (10-12% of trailer weight must be on the tongue. or excessive tongue weight could also be the cause (sagging rear truck bumper) weight distribution is key. gusts of wind or being passed by a semi truck can be a intermittent cause.

there are a number of safety articles, pamplets, guide lines, and books you can read.

"Just GOGGLE it" good luck.
2014 sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:28 AM   #42

i would need to see some pics of your set-up b4 making any comments....
MeSeaHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #43

Question Truck tires matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Joan View Post
When you say you have tow package do, you mean max tow. I would suggest putting E rated tires on the truck and installing Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS.)
This and at least one more post pointed to the tires on the tow vehicle. I agree. Stiff tires on the truck will help a lot!
champ837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #44

I agree with others....your camper is not heavy and has a short wheel base to your truck. It is important that you have at least 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue as stated. Max recommended air pressure all around may help as well. You can weigh the tongue using a basic home bathroom scale with a piece of wood to offset the load and a little math. Google topic for directions.

Not sure if this link will post:
Measuring trailer tongue weight with a bathroom scale
Code13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:57 AM   #45

If all else fails, buy Hensley hitch. Watch the YouTube demo of a Hensley. It is no exaggeration. I used to drive white knuckle on the interstate. Nothing worked. Bit the bullet. Bought a Hensley. Now you never know there is a trailer back there. Drives way better than my motorhome ever did.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #46
Crusin81

tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ837 View Post
This and at least one more post pointed to the tires on the tow vehicle. I agree. Stiff tires on the truck will help a lot!
I picked up some tires on line thru sears, saved about $90.00 per tire, great bang for the buck. I ended up saving big time, been driving on them for about a month, feel great. have not towed with them yet but I am sure they will be fine.

Good Year Wrangler HT
115 / 112Q LT225 / 75R16 LOAD RANGE "E"
MAX LAD SINGLE 2680 LBS @ 80 PSI
MAX LOAD DUAL 2470 LBS @ 80 PSI

Attachment 124600

Attachment 124601

Attachment 124602

Attachment 124603
Old 11-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #47

When all else fails....I bought a Duelly
Tows my 38 ft tow behind (Not fifth wheel) with ease. For local trips I don't even use a sway bar or weight distribution. I know that's not the answer for everyone but Its nice knowing I am at only about 1/2 my towing capacity. I have no drift either when passing or being passed by semi trucks. Plus when I go trailer shopping there pretty much isnt anything on a lot I cant put behind my truck.....just something to think about for those upgrading to a new TV.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #48
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code13 View Post
When all else fails....I bought a Duelly
Tows my 38 ft tow behind (Not fifth wheel) with ease. For local trips I don't even use a sway bar or weight distribution. I know that's not the answer for everyone but Its nice knowing I am at only about 1/2 my towing capacity. I have no drift either when passing or being passed by semi trucks. Plus when I go trailer shopping there pretty much isnt anything on a lot I cant put behind my truck.....just something to think about for those upgrading to a new TV.
haha, yeah you and thes dudes prob never give it a second thought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	124604   Click image for larger version

Name:	a2.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	124605   Click image for larger version

Name:	a3.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	124606   Click image for larger version

Name:	a4.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	124607  
Old 11-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #49

Wow....thought I was getting a bit extreme. Now I know I'm no where near reaching the top
Old 11-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #50

Too much sway

Very good answers to your question, including being too light on the tongue of the trailer
Check the height of the tongue of the trailer when on the hitch. It should be level with the rear of the trailer or slightly lower. If it is higher, that would cause the sway.
You can use a drop hitch on your truck to lower the tongue of the trailer. I learned about this from U-haul years ago in one of their towing videos.
tedpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:34 PM   #51

Hensley fan

I have a Hensley Cub hitch towing a nearly 5000 pound trailer. I have towed over 12,000 miles with it. It does not sway, ever! I believe it saved my life once. I hate to sound like a commercial but there it is.
rodthebooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #52

Too much sway when towing

I first started towing a heavy trailer with an E250 Ford van. I had terribly dangerous trailer sway and almost had a bad accident. It turned out that I just didn't have near enough load on the weight distribution bars. If you don't see them really bending, they probably aren't doing much good. I recommend trying increased bar load before spending on other things.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #53
Crusin81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
One thing that no one seems to take into account is their valve stems when over inflating their tires to compensate for sidewall flex. Valve stems have specific maximum inflation ratings and that is something you need to take into account, especially when you over inflate and driving in hot weather even increases tire pressure more.....

Shall I say a word to the wise...
VERY IMPRTANT POINT.
On any vehicle you should be sure when you get your tires worked on or replaced make sure they install valve stems that are rated to match the tires you install.

this hits home with me, when I had the shop put new inner tires on my rear axle I "assumed" by common practice they would install matched rated valve stems with the tires. I couldn't have been more wrong. just happened to be the time that convinced me to install air pressure sensors. I got home and decided to check my tires due to the drive not feeling just right, as I kicked my inner tire I found it flat, I removed it and found the valve stem split right up the side. it turned out it was NOT a high pressure valve stem. sense that time I always mention high pressure rated valve stems when I get tire work done. it was a good thing I was not on a long trip or towing anything.

There are a variety of valve stems out there, google them and you'll see what I'm talking about. I have always been pro chrome, but lately I decided that as long as they perform what they were designed for, I'm ok with that.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #54
Crusin81

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG View Post
haha, yeah you and thes dudes prob never give it a second thought.
no need to worry about not having enough engine or braking power, just a headache maintaining a class "a" DL, and they might as well not bother coming to California due to the law limiting total length to 65'.

I guess if those trucks are just being used in a "commercial" capacity and the operator has all the right paperwork and "DL" then the 65' law may not apply. (not sure, would need to research that). to much hassle and expense to maintain a commercial license if it is not making you money.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #55

You have to be careful with tires. Your load range vs. psi. The higher the letter the stiffer the sidewall. If you put LT tires with a load range E on a pickup truck, which is fine, watch your psi. The sidewall may say 80psi cold, that doesn't mean you put 80 in it. It all depends on weight applied on the tires. Tire surface vs. road contact. Inflate a balloon and place it on a table, notice the surface contact between balloon and table. Now apply slight pressure on top of the balloon with your hand and notice the change in contact surface. Same principle applies to tires. If you need 80psi in the tires pulling a trailer that's fine. But when not towing air those tires down so you get more road contact especially when it's raining.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5'7" Bed
4 X 4 Engine 5.7L Hemi Gear 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W Windjammer (Diamond Package)
Husky Centerline WDH
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #56

Too Much Sway When Towing

I have the same trailer, Mini Lite 2109S, tow it behind a GMC Sierra 1500 with Reese weight distribution assembly. I have the chains set at the third link for tension but the torsion bars have a memory and you have to increase the tension over time. I run Michelin truck tires and have added an additional leaf spring in the rear. I check the tire pressure on the truck and the trailer, every trip. Low tire pressure could induce unwanted sway. I've never had a sway problem and since the trailer has tandem wheels, it's somewhat perplexing. My guess would be soft tires, non-truck tires and not enough tension on the torsion bars.

I bought the complete Reese system, brand new in the box at a garage sale,
$25, deal of the century.
virago500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:23 PM   #57

Next time buy an Equalizer brand Hitch after you do all the stuff mentioned so far
in this amazing, helpful topic.
Mort
mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #58
Crusin81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ov845 View Post
You have to be careful with tires. Your load range vs. psi. The higher the letter the stiffer the sidewall. If you put LT tires with a load range E on a pickup truck, which is fine, watch your psi. The sidewall may say 80psi cold, that doesn't mean you put 80 in it. It all depends on weight applied on the tires. Tire surface vs. road contact. Inflate a balloon and place it on a table, notice the surface contact between balloon and table. Now apply slight pressure on top of the balloon with your hand and notice the change in contact surface. Same principle applies to tires. If you need 80psi in the tires pulling a trailer that's fine. But when not towing air those tires down so you get more road contact especially when it's raining.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5'7" Bed
4 X 4 Engine 5.7L Hemi Gear 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W Windjammer (Diamond Package)
Husky Centerline WDH
This is so true, that is why you should always follow your door jam sticker or vehicle owners manual and inflate your tires accordingly. My Goodyear tires max rating is 80 psi, my door jam sticker says 45 - front, 55 rear. be careful at the tire shop also with that, be sure they don't over inflate your tires. many shops just fill to the max rating on the tire. I always tell the guy the proper inflation and I always get funny looks but at least I get it done right. sometimes when I get home or a couple days later after rolling on them I double check, just to be sure all is ok and correct.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #59

Unless you have a lot of cargo in the trailer that F150 should have no issues. If it has the max trailer tow package it's rated @ 11,900 tow cap and you are no where near that. I would look at hitch adjustment first. Not familar with Blue Ox as I have always used Equalizer. Contact manufacturer of hitch and get their input. Not sure if I'd do the stuff tires. That truck is a sweet ride and the stuff tires will have an effect on the ride. On my 2015 F150 I added Timbrens. Also have them on my F250. Might look into them. They have a money back guarantee. Good Luck!

2016 F250 PS Screw
2017 Crusader 27RK
Mypedlcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #60
Crusin81

If you have dual tires on the back of your truck, you must take extreme measures to insure those tires are properly inflated. run those tires low while you are towing or simply have a load in the back and you are asking for trouble. Running dual tires to low will cause the tires to rub each other and the friction can cause your tires to burst into flames. don't forget to inspect between your tires for debris stuck between the tires, this has 2 bad effects, 1) it could cause friction and literally catch tires on fire, 2) it could fly out while going down and damage anything or anyone it hits.

Safety Matters

Tags
sway, towing