Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #1

Topper or not...

I've been thinking about getting a cab high topper. I found one for a real good price..like 30% of normal price. But, I can't make up my mind to get it or not. I already have a flush folding rigid bed cover now but it leaks anytime it rains.

Pros....more storage out of the weather. Our bikes are $$$, Generator, tools, etc. When we go on side trips, don't have to worry about dogs trashing the truck interior. more secure. Looks good.

Cons....can't easily get mulch, gravel, etc. Fuel economy will drop a bit. Tough to get to items inside...especially in the front of the bed. Likely max out my payload when hauling the camper.

Anyone have comments or something else I haven't thought of? How about opinions?

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

I have a besttop supertopper on my Silverado. It is a soft canvass top that folds down when the bed is needed. I'll get a pic tomorrow when the sun comes up. -Pat

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Here is the Bestop supper topper..

I have had it for a few years without complaint. It is made just like a jeep top so it is fairy water proof. The only spot I sometimes get a bit of water is along the tailgate seal. If it is a heavy rain it will get damp. It either folds to the front of the bed(like a jeep roof) or with four cotter pins completely removes. I do it by myself so it is not hard.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #4

I put my topper on in the fall after I remove the hitch and remove it in the spring when the hitch goes in. I have a trailer if I need gravel or anything that will not fit in my bed. When we had the tt the bed had bunch of stuff in it and it could be locked . With the 5er I lock stuff in the basement if needed.. plus I saw a measurable mileage increases with the topper on.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Here is the Bestop supper topper..

I have had it for a few years without complaint. It is made just like a jeep top so it is fairy water proof. The only spot I sometimes get a bit of water is along the tailgate seal. If it is a heavy rain it will get damp. It either folds to the front of the bed(like a jeep roof) or with four cotter pins completely removes. I do it by myself so it is not hard.
I saw those, but they are more than this fiberglass one. Plus, I want something a bit more secure. I do like the flexibility of that though.

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #6

Get the topper, in the long run you will be glad that you have it. Most can be put on and taken off fairly easily in a manner of minutes. When we go on trips, I want my 'stuff' locked up in the back of the bed. Firewood, table, chairs, bikes, propane tank, oil, gas can (full), tools, fishing eq. etc... all stuff that can easily 'walk away' by reaching over the bed side when parked somewhere or it can 'blow out' with no cover. And keeping everything DRY in bad weather.

All of your 'cons' can be over ruled by taking it off when not needed.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #7

Was actually looking for one ourselves so we can put the dogs in back in kennels and bring more campers. Which one are you looking at?

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I had one (still have) for my 2500 and it went on when the 5er was winterized and parked for the winter and came off when it was time to pull again. Having a TT, it may help mpg when pulling, mine did when I had a TT, helped push the air up and over. Mine was raised at the rear though.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #9

If you can afford to give up the 200 lbs of payload, they are worth it. I had one on my last truck and really liked it. Going to the new truck and fiver, I am using a RollX cover for now. In Texas we camp year round, so I did not want to do the on/off thing every 3 weeks.

As far as fuel mileage, in the real world it will make very little difference vs your current cover. It will also have no real affect on towing MPGs either.

One thing I will mention is to check your bikes to see if they will fit. The kids bikes, and the wife's 24" wheel mountain bike all fit upright, but with mine I always had to lower the seat and handle bars, and even then it was going in at angles. It was a real pain to haul it in the back if I left the front tire on. Take the tire off, and no issues.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
I've been thinking about getting a cab high topper. I found one for a real good price..like 30% of normal price. But, I can't make up my mind to get it or not. I already have a flush folding rigid bed cover now but it leaks anytime it rains.

Pros....more storage out of the weather. Our bikes are $$$, Generator, tools, etc. When we go on side trips, don't have to worry about dogs trashing the truck interior. more secure. Looks good.

Cons....can't easily get mulch, gravel, etc. Fuel economy will drop a bit. Tough to get to items inside...especially in the front of the bed. Likely max out my payload when hauling the camper.

Anyone have comments or something else I haven't thought of? How about opinions?

Dad has had one for years and love them. The downside for me are; windows fog making it hard to see when backing up. As far as taking it off is easy. When we was still farming and had to remove it a few times a year this is what he did. Had 4 posts in yard about 4 inches about the bed of the truck( two on each side) planted in the ground. Then attached a board between two of them and the same on the other two. With this done back truck between the post ( post on ether side of back bumper then the other two beside rear of cab, board running along side of beds) Unbolt the cab lift a little in front, insert board under cab and let it reat on the board between the post. Repeat with rear of cab. Drive truck out from under cab. Place clamps on the cab to boards and another set to hold the boards to each other, or you could use tie down ratchet straps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Was actually looking for one ourselves so we can put the dogs in back in kennels and bring more campers. Which one are you looking at?
I found a year old Leer 100r. $500 installed. Another $200 to paint when I get my truck door fixed....long story there.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingwilliamsons View Post
If you can afford to give up the 200 lbs of payload, they are worth it. I had one on my last truck and really liked it. Going to the new truck and fiver, I am using a RollX cover for now. In Texas we camp year round, so I did not want to do the on/off thing every 3 weeks.

As far as fuel mileage, in the real world it will make very little difference vs your current cover. It will also have no real affect on towing MPGs either.

One thing I will mention is to check your bikes to see if they will fit. The kids bikes, and the wife's 24" wheel mountain bike all fit upright, but with mine I always had to lower the seat and handle bars, and even then it was going in at angles. It was a real pain to haul it in the back if I left the front tire on. Take the tire off, and no issues.
I have the BAK ROLL-X Cover too. Gives you more security with a Hard aluminum black covered rolled up top!
mb2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #13

Couple of replies here:

now that I think about it, I don't think the weight is going to increase as I have an aluminum diamond plate cover now, it weighs close to #200. So thats a wash.

We have three 26"full frame bikes and a tall 26" trail bike. All have quick tire releases on the front tires. The largest is 43" at the bars. It ain't gonna fit thru the door with tires on. Oh well, I want to make up a fork mount anyway.

I hope I can get the dog crate inside. I'm gonna measure that when i get home tonight. Didn't think about that one.

I'm going to have to make a lift to remove it while outside. Can't pull in my garage, as its a work shop full of tools (or as my wife puts it: machines and junk)

I found my fuel mileage increased when I hauled a large but light dresser on the bed cover when I was also towing the camper. Surprised me. I think I got 1-2 mpg better. I felt like Judd Clampets on that trip.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #14

If I lived in your area, I would have bought it already! I'm getting prices around 1700$ in my area. You have the long bed so the crate just might fit- or put the crate between two of the bikes. There's a YouTube video of a macguyver style bucket AC for the dogs that I will have to use along with a fan from the cab. Too hot for the pups back there.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #15

Look at the Jason brand. I have had mine since 2004 and it still looks like brand new only paid 400.00 it came with Side sliding Windows with screens

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
I put my topper on in the fall after I remove the hitch and remove it in the spring when the hitch goes in.
I do the same, my truck came with a Leer when I bought it. It's nice to have during ski season to keep gear out of the elements. I typically pack everything in totes that's going in the bed when the toppers off so it stays dry and I don't have to worry about anything taking flight. My biggest complaint with the topper on is when I pack something towards the cab of the truck and have to crawl in to fetch it...that gets old fast. A topper with the side windows that flip up for easy access would remedy that.
whitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #17

Well, I got it. No marks anywhere. Installed for free. Already did a test "load up" for a typical camping trip and added the large dog crate. Plenty of room! I'm definitely happy. Already got price to paint as an add on when getting my driver's side door fixed.

Only thing else is a bed mat as its a killer on my knees. I didn't think of that.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397248948597.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	49640   Click image for larger version

Name:	1397249208589.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	49641  
Old 04-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post

Only thing else is a bed mat as its a killer on my knees. I didn't think of that.

I know the feeling about tough in the knees. I bought a "bed rug" on eBay when I got my 03 Silverado. It's been a while so I forget what I paid for it, but much cheaper than from a dealer, that much I remember. It is year and brand specific so it contours and fits great. It Velcro's in so it is removable, it's marine grade carpet and if you get junk on it, you can just pressure wash it and it's as good as new. I've has mine since '04 and it still looks like new. Best investment I made in the old girl.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #19

Love my Leer cab high shell... Inside is finished, fold down front window which allows for easy cleaning of both truck rear window and the shell window itself. My main purpose of having it is for camping use. I Like the fact that I can lock things in the back of it while camping. If it rain while camping who care nothing in it gets wet. If I need to haul things I have a custom truck bed trailer, a 16ft car hauler trailer and a 6x10 horse trailer..You can never have enough trailers...
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #20

I had a Leer cap on my old truck. Didn't put one on the new truck yet, probably won't since we'll be towing a 5th wheel with this one, but I REALLY miss the cap. It was so much easier just throwing stuff in the back without having to worry if it was taller than a tonneau.
IllinoisCheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote