Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #1

tow a smart car

buying a 2016 coachman sportscoach crosscountry and would like to tow my 2008 smart car. Going to buy all the right pieces of the blue ox. I have talked to smart-they say no problem! put key on the on postion, put in neutral and disconnect the positive on battery and everything is a go and no miles will show up. I am getting mixed signals on posts on the smart car. Does anyone in the group tow a smart car and could give me some advice. thanks
msbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:59 PM   #2

Why tow it when you can pick it up and put it inside.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #3

Did not want to get any mud in the interior of the coach��
Old 02-11-2016, 05:54 PM   #4
Senior Member - Retired

msbaker. We have had a Smart Car as our Toad for a little less than one year. Has worked perfectly so far and my wife is happy we were able to purchase a used Smart Car with remaining warranty for $7,000.. I elected to set it up with a supplemental braking system. Attached is a photo of our MH and Toad along with the procedures I use to connect and disconnect the Smart Car. My signature lines detail the components used in the set-up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toad.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	99401  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Smart Car2.pdf (85.5 KB, 131 views)
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:17 PM   #5

Thank u that really helps. Did u use a blue ox for all your parts including breaking system. Did u also use a protect a tow under tow bar to collect rocks. Also u mentioned a battery cut off switch , does smart have one or did u get one installed.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:18 PM   #6
Senior Member - Retired

So far I have not added a protect-a-tow or similar product. I did add a Georgetown full width mud flap. I used Blue Ox for everything except the supplemental braking system which is the SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo. It is a true proportional braking system. I added my own battery cutoff switch under the dash on the left side of the passenger area. It is critical to ensure that no stray voltage of any amount gets to the transmission while the Smart Car is being towed. Battery cutoff switch is wired to positive side as opposed to negative. I included a picture of the set up of the front of the Smart Car. Hope it helps.
Attached Images

Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #7

Thank u for your time. I plan on doing cut off also. I saw some pictures of the tow hooks going thru the bumper just above grill where u c those round circles so when u r not towing unscrew hooks put cap on circle and no one is the wiser. Looking into that rather than cutting into grill
Old 02-12-2016, 06:42 PM   #8

Towing Smart Car

I have used a Texas Trailer built especially for the Smartcar. Drive on/off and loaded/unloaded in 5 minutes. Plus it is easy to back up with the trailer which is not so easy towing four wheels down or two up for that matter. If anyone interested, am selling my Smartcar trailer which will hold up to 3000 lbs, trailer weighs 600 lbs, so easy to tow. Has new radial tires, Roadguard protector on front of trailer and LED lights. If interested let me know.
bburns7385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #9

A few years ago, I used to tow a Smart car behind a 21 feet and 8 inches long motorhome, a Rialta. I had some problem with it when I made some sharp turns on both sides one after the other, like when at a gas station or in a parking lot. The car started to move from one side to the other, bumping when it reaches the farthest point it can go on each side. It didn't do that in the beginning when the Blue Ox was new but after some time when it became a little loose the problem started.

A Blue Ox representative told me that the problem was due to the light weight of the car combined with the fact that most of the weight was on its rear wheels. He suggested to use bungee cords attached to the steering to restrain the front wheels movement while turning. I used 36 inches bungee cords and it just worked fine. The two pictures attached shows how I fixed the bungee cords to the seat and to the steering wheel. Later on I tried not crosssing the two bungees at the steering wheel and it did work well also.

You may not have the problem if your motorhome is longer than the Rialta was, but if you ever have a problem this is the solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Attaches+au+volant.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	99581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attache+au+siège.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	99582  
RFLLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #10

I forgot to mention that before using the bungee cords, the solution, when the problem occurs, was to completely stop the motorhome then start moving slowly such that the car can stabilize and follow in line. This was not very safe, specially when you are getting back on the road and there is a semi coming towards you.
RFLLambert is offline   Reply With Quote