Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #1

Tow Dolly and Toad with low front end

I have not yet purchased a dolly for our new Berkshire to pull our Toyota Carolla. I am wondering about the clearance of the front end from the ramp before the tires actually get to the ramp. I used to always change the oil in our vehicles using drive up ramps, but lately anymore, it seems the front ends of cars are too close to the ground to even get the tires there.

Is this a common problem with dollies ? Any fixes ? Anyone here towing a 2014 Toyota Carolla with a dolly ?
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #2

I don't have a Toyota but I do tow a Fiat 500 Abarth. Let me tell you that thing has a low front end. Prior to this I had a Mazda 3 which is pretty similar to your Corolla. I have a Master Tow dolly (or is it Tow Master?) and the ends on the ramps are pretty thick, blunt. I found that keeping a couple of 2x6s handy and put them in front of the ramps to help get over that hump then to put a couple more on the ramps to help get up on the deck makes life easier. I also found it best to have a way to keep the boards from slipping out from under you as you drive up them. I use long screws, just be sure the boards are right side down, if you know what I mean.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:13 PM   #3

The instructions for our Kar Kaddy have specific instructions for measuring the front of the car to assure clearance. I assume that other brands would provide that info as well.

We tow a Pt Cruiser. The previous owner towed a Primus
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad