Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery
...The ACME tow dolly is nice, but when I asked about turn signals etc. they said extra lights are not required...that the ones on the tow dolly are all you need.
I have the Acme disc brake model
dolly for our C-Max. Acme is correct in that no additional lights are required other than the dolly lights. FWIW U-Haul rents their car dolly without any additional lights. I did buy a set of cheap magnetic lights at U-Haul I could stick on if some jurisdiction wants to insist I need them.
I went with a dolly versus a trailer because:
1. The weight. I don't have extra capacity to tow a trailer. I'm limited to about 4,000 before I hit the GCWR. A decent car trailer would eat about half that weight.
2. The cost. The Acme dolly is a lot cheaper.
3. Storage. My Acme easily "stand's up" on it's "tail" in my garage.
4. Brakes. Adding a electronic brake controller to a M-B Sprinter can be a real PITA. The surge disc brakes on my dolly mean I don't have to add a brake controller. Most
car hauler trailers would require a brake controller.
5. Fitment. The dolly will fit about any FWD vehicle I want. My wife just purchased a new Ford Fusion and it can be dolly towed just fine. It can't be flat towed since it is the EcoBoost 2.0. Since it weighs about 400 pounds less than my C-Max it may be our new TOAD...
Hope this helps...