Old 03-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #31
Originally Posted by BusyRetirees View Post
I cannot comment on dolly tow but can comment on Rvers who have dollies. Majority have asked about flat tow. We flat towed two vehicles and loved the convenience. Dolly towers complained about hook up and storage. Dolly advantage is that you can tow any vehicle and have limited back up ability. Disadvantage is hooking up and storage of dolly when on site. Flat tow advantage is ease of hook up and unhooking. Disadvantage is no backing up and selection of vehicles. Your choice. When we had a Class A, we chose flat towing for convenience. We did not regret our selection.
Busy retirees reminded me of a couple of other things about owning a tow dolly. First of all, the price. Owning a tow dolly is not as expensive. Initial price is lower for a new dolly. The other thing is storage. We rent a storage space and store our dolly behind and partially under our motor home. When we travel, I park in front of our campsite with our hazard lights on and unload our toad, then disconnect the dolly. I then push the dolly to the back of our pad so I can reconnect the dolly at my convenience. That way when it's time to leave the dolly is ready to go. You will have to be strong enough to push the dolly to your space or use a device to do it. I'm 63 and use braces on both of my legs, so you don't have to be too strong to accomplish this.

Bubbamace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:04 AM   #32
Thanks to everyone for your responses!!

We bought a 2016 Chevy Malibu. The one you can actually pull 4 down. We did a lot of research in making our decision. The vehicle weighs just about 3100 lbs. That's 2300 pounds less than the previous toad weighed. So I'm saving a lot of weight.

After considering everything we have decided to go with the blue ox base plate. We had that on our previous toad and really liked it.

Thanks for all of your feedback and input.

You guys are great!!!

retiredchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:07 PM   #33
Tow dolly for us. We've had 4 Class A motorhomes and four cars. One tow dolly. Tow dollies cost less than fitting a car for flat towing and, while flat towing may be more convenient, the dolly has saved us a bunch of money over the years. BTW, we've never had a problem finding a place to put it when parked.
helferdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:45 PM   #34
I had a tow dolly and didn't care for it much. Switched vehicles and went with the blue ox for four down towing.

Ken & Laurie
2015 Berkshire 400QL
2016 Chevy Colorado
Northern Ohio
KennyGolub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #35
Just mved from tow dolly to flat tow

I'm currently on my first trip flat towing and LOVE it. I have a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and complete Blue Ox setup with Patriot. MUCH easier and more comfortable towing than Stehl dolly with electric brakes and Mini Cooper because it's shorter, not as wide, and no crawling under dolly yoncnnect safety chains. Complete connect and disconnect (including Patriot) in less than 10 min.

If anyone wants to buy a tow dolly near aarlington, VA, please let me know!
Navy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:30 AM   #36
If your toad can be towed flat, do it that way. We've put lots of toad miles on a 2010 Honda Fit Sport and now tow a 2013 Honda CRV. Same Roadmaster rig on the MH for both - different base plate for the CRV though. Roadmaster was very helpful to our mechanic. Free advice - get a good proportional brake servo unit for the toad, with a break-away switch. Great for peace of mind and required in some states, plus reduces strain on the tow setup when braking.
Psomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:41 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Currently on our first trip with our Acme tow dolly and after 800 miles on day one, I really can't tell it's back there, really! I have to check camera to make sure. First time hookup took about 15 minutes once I had it hitched up. Pretty sure I can get it to under 10 easily. Never felt like it was pushing me or dragging behind, was very smooth in the braking, not like most surge units I've felt with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 64
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote