Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2016, 10:39 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
KJcachers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 247
Tow Dolly with Ford Fiesta?

Anybody towing a Fiesta with a tow dolly? If so, which dolly and do you like it. Thinking of going with this combo as it's probably going to save me about $1500 compared to towing 4 flat. wasn't expecting an installed quote with braking to be almost $4000!
__________________

__________________
Jason and Karen
2015 Forester 3051S

http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:26 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 141
I would check out dolly's on Craig's list. I found a nice one for $700.
__________________

__________________
2015 Sunseeker 3170ds
TakeItEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:34 AM   #3
DW's Retirement Plan
 
DaGrinch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Western MD
Posts: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
Anybody towing a Fiesta with a tow dolly? If so, which dolly and do you like it. Thinking of going with this combo as it's probably going to save me about $1500 compared to towing 4 flat. wasn't expecting an installed quote with braking to be almost $4000!
Even if you are semi-mechanically inclined, you could cut that $4K in half. Doing the work yourself could save a mint. Also, the big reason I didn't go with a dolly - where do you put it once you get to your destination?

Just my $0.02

__________________

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:36 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
KJcachers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Even if you are semi-mechanically inclined, you could cut that $4K in half. Doing the work yourself could save a mint. Also, the big reason I didn't go with a dolly - where do you put it once you get to your destination?

Just my $0.02

did you do your own Liberty baseplate? I have one of those too but the RV place wants a fortune to install it.
__________________
Jason and Karen
2015 Forester 3051S

http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:01 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ridgefield, CT
Posts: 60
You can find a nice master 2 on eBay for about twelve hundred including brakes. Personally I would not invest in modifying my car 44 down Towing. Don't forget you also need a transmission that is able to be towed. If not you will have to modify that as well.
__________________
Strigflag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 141
I picked up a tow dolly on Craigs list. I used it once and decided 4 down was the way for me. I sold the dolly for a little more than I paid. I set the car up for 4 down and am very happy with the decision so far.
__________________
2015 Sunseeker 3170ds
TakeItEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
KJcachers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strigflag View Post
You can find a nice master 2 on eBay for about twelve hundred including brakes. Personally I would not invest in modifying my car 44 down Towing. Don't forget you also need a transmission that is able to be towed. If not you will have to modify that as well.

The Fiesta can go either way, even with an automatic. I'm going tow dolly at first. If we don't like it I can always sell the dolly and convert to 4 down.


2015 Forester 3051s
__________________
Jason and Karen
2015 Forester 3051S

http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
DW's Retirement Plan
 
DaGrinch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Western MD
Posts: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
did you do your own Liberty baseplate? I have one of those too but the RV place wants a fortune to install it.
Well, I didn't do it.... ..... My 28 year old son did. But he said it was a breeze. He did it on a weekend where the DW and I had the Sunseeker and our other Jeep (Renegade) out camping. Said it took him a couple hours because he took some breaks - it was hot and humid. I looked at it afterwards and was impressed with his work. He said the YouTube videos were a great help.
__________________

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
KJcachers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Well, I didn't do it.... ..... My 28 year old son did. But he said it was a breeze. He did it on a weekend where the DW and I had the Sunseeker and our other Jeep (Renegade) out camping. Said it took him a couple hours because he took some breaks - it was hot and humid. I looked at it afterwards and was impressed with his work. He said the YouTube videos were a great help.

Thanks! (Buying the Fiesta as we speak) 😂


2015 Forester 3051s
__________________
Jason and Karen
2015 Forester 3051S

http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:53 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,936
I venture to say, you will not be able to install a base plate on a Fiesta in a couple hours. You can google and watch the videos.
__________________

__________________
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ford

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 AM.