Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff270ssf View Post
I want a smarter Cruise Control!! For the life of me I cannot see the difference Tow/Haul makes on our 2015 Georgetown Ford V10. With or without Tow/Haul it downshifts on uphills too soon and stays in the lower gear too long. <<SNIP>>
Interesting concept. I like it.

Some of what you describe has to do with transmission shift mapping, not cruise control (see my comment on my RAM). Some of the new generation 9 and 10 speed transmissions are criticized for being reluctant to downshift, and some of that reluctance is dictated by a desire to improve fuel economy. Large throttle openings and lower RPM are more fuel-efficient than higher RPM and smaller throttle openings. That logic is applied to pickup truck transmissions. It's hard to know the logic behind a medium-duty truck's automatic, but some of that thinking may bleed over in design.

I also have a hunch that cruise control isn't as adaptable as you wish due to safety regulations. Why? Guessing, but I think varying speed by, say, a 10 MPH range might instigate a lot of unsafe behaviors by other drivers. It's one thing to overtake a motorhome or towable that slows on climbs and picks up speed again once over the top. Other drivers expect a bit of speed variation. But this behavior in a sedan would just piss off other drivers...especially if the once-slow-poke mindlessly speeds up on the downhill when others have an opportunity to pass. This kind of behavior frequently instigates road-rage incidents.

Take it out of a light-duty truck or medium-duty truck (TV or motorhome) and put it in a car or SUV, and these speed changes might be unwelcome and, perhaps, a bit unsafe. A "one-size-fits-all" approach to DOT regs may be the culprit here. So your motor vehicle "auto-pilot" is designed to meet the needs of the largest segment of the driving population.

I live in the mountains, and I drive regularly with "commuters" over terrain with 5% to 7% grades. They do not slow on the uphills. Some do "run free" on the downhills, but that's unwise since all are running 5 MPH or more over the posted limit already, and our roads are heavily "revenued." So maintaining a constant speed is the rule rather than the exception.

My RAV 4 is a 5-speed, so it's behavior is under my control somewhat. If I leave it in 5th, it will slow on climbs and run free (with no upper limit) on descents. In this terrain, I usually put it in 4th and leave it there so my speed DOESN'T vary all over the place.

My RAM 1500 is older (a 4-speed auto), and depending on my electronic OD choice - normal, tow/haul, OD off - the shift mapping will adjust the shift points on climbs and descents. It's sluggish to downshift in normal, so speeds on some climbs will drop by as much as 7 MPH before a downshift, but once it downshifts, it immediately seeks the cruise set speed. On the downhills, it will run free to any speed, but in tow/haul or OD off, it does a better job of holding speed--but it does NOT perform as you'd wish it to.

Between market forces and DOT regs, I suspect your wished-for cruise control might be a great after-market product to modify a light or medium duty truck cruise, but I doubt it would be a good investment for a daily-driver. It's certainly an achievable goal technically.

Perhaps, like Banks performance enhancement products for diesels, a manufacturer could be coaxed to make a plug-and-play add on to a standard cruise control to give it these adjustable parameters.

P.S. Given the number of drivers of import cars who can't figure out to turn off recirculated air when they need to defrost their windows, American cars dumbed-down the HVAC to refuse to engage recirc when defrost is selected. But Japanese cars enable this choice at all times....with the result being that many drivers are fogged up on the inside because they are clueless. Believe it or not, the skill level required to operate your more sophisticated cruise control may be well beyond the capacity of many drivers on the road today...as is an aftermarket electronic tuning device. That could be another reason DOT might limit the design parameters of a factory cruise control

But I love the idea.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #22

Thanks for your post. Where/how can I obtain/install this "Five Star?" What is it - a software patch?
geoff270ssf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff270ssf View Post
Thanks for your post. Where/how can I obtain/install this "Five Star?" What is it - a software patch?
https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Ford...-Custom-Tuning

Or

https://5startuning.com/product/7015fs/
Old 10-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #24

On my 2018 F-150 I have adaptive cruise control. It was such an important option for me to get, I had to order a Ford to get it. I worked on adaptive cruise while at GM and since you can't get it on GM trucks(maybe now in 2018) I bought the Ford. It makes driving so less stressful. Set a speed and it slows you down when a truck in front of you slows down and brings you back up to speed when you change lanes or the truck speeds up. It will also bring you to a complete stop if traffic stops.

I also love the 10 speed transmission. Hard to tell when it shifts most of the time.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
On my 2018 F-150 I have adaptive cruise control. It was such an important option for me to get, I had to order a Ford to get it. I worked on adaptive cruise while at GM and since you can't get it on GM trucks(maybe now in 2018) I bought the Ford. It makes driving so less stressful. Set a speed and it slows you down when a truck in front of you slows down and brings you back up to speed when you change lanes or the truck speeds up. It will also bring you to a complete stop if traffic stops.

I also love the 10 speed transmission. Hard to tell when it shifts most of the time.

Those four extra gears make a world of difference I'm sure. My 2010 6 speed, only lets me manually select from 1st thru 3rd. The blind man in the box, controls the rest.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkt View Post
Those four extra gears make a world of difference I'm sure. My 2010 6 speed, only lets me manually select from 1st thru 3rd. The blind man in the box, controls the rest.
Yep. I get to manually control all of them.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:31 PM   #27

I seldom ever use the cruise control on my FR3 (V10 Ford) in any mode... the engine just doesn't have enough torque or power to operate it efficiently even if gas was free...
The motor will go from 2200 rpm to 4500 rpm as soon as I go over anything bigger than an overpass... I believe the transmission is junk. The motor will pull fine but the transmission is the worst I've ever owned, driven, or ever heard of...
I did use CC on a long trip over to Yellowstone a couple years ago... on the straight flat roads... I would never use it in any mode going to the coast over here in Oregon... it flat won't work.
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #28

2006 E-450 forester tow/ haul . On or off while driving ??not towing .
Detroitdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:57 PM   #29

I only turn mine off when I am going through mountains and it is up and down so my overdrive doesn't kick in, don't know if that's right or wrong but that's what's works for me.
Rick Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:59 AM   #30
Tinkerer and Putterer

I believe the "don't use cruise while towing" rule came about when 4 speed automatics and clutched torque converters first came on the scene. Those transmissions couldn't hold up to the strain and would often lunch the clutch in the converter which would send material through the trans or the overdrive clutches would burn up. Both bad and both expensive to repair. Today durability has greatly improved. When I had a toad I would often use tow haul and cruise to no ill effect. I still use it when fully loaded without a second thought. I always use tow/haul though. Unless I'm empty and winterized so I have never used cruise outside of tow/haul.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #31

Cruise control without tow/haul active can cause some seemingly violent downshifts in hilly country. Tow/haul smooths them out as it's commonly running in a lower gear on this terrain.

Tow/haul on my Ford Expedition is helpful in hilly country neither towing nor hauling as engine braking is activated by seamlessly downshifting on down grades.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #32

So leave tow haul on all the time ?
Old 10-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #33
ENE

Some of these tranny's are smart, when they are in tow mode they recognized and adjust shifting patterns for towing. I use my tow mode and cruise mode all the time.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #34

What if I’m not towing .? Just need to know should I leave it on all the time for better gas mileage .or only when towing ? Confused when to and when not to .
Old 10-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #35

Tow/haul is primarily there to prevent the transmission from hunting -- constantly shifting up and down due to minor variances in the road or wind. Automatic transmissions slip during the shift cycle and that causes heat and wear. As I noted I find it useful in the Blue Ridge area of Virginia when just driving due to enhanced engine braking on downgrades and the elimination of violent downshifts going up hill when in cruise control. Useful in a motorhome in the same hilly conditions but is rarely ever needed on flat interstates.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #36

What I do is I never push the tow/haul on unless I'm in the mountains or hills where you are going up and down where your transmission is constantly shifting, any other time I leave the tow/haul mode off that way it let's your overdrive kick in to get the maximum gas mileage. I tow a small car on a tow dolly behind my motorhome and I still never turn the tow/haul on unless I'm in mountains.
Rick Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #37

I used to work for GM. The shift points are higher so that there is less heat developed during the shift. I always use tow haul mode when towing. No good reason not to.