Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #1

Tow Haul Question

We have a 2014 Georgetown XL378, and tow a Jeep Wrangler, the question is do you push the tow haul button? When we push the button the engine doesn't want to change gears right, when it goes into (I believe) third gear it won't change gear until it reaches 5000 rmp. If we don't use the tow haul it changes gears just fine. Does anyone else have this problem?

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
Incheon, S. Korea

When I was driving a class C with tow/haul, I found it better to use it only on downhills. It would make the engine scream on the climbs, so I would just control the throttle myself. If it has a triton V-10, the engine will de-power if the tranny gets too hot.
The tow/haul mode did that to me... I thought I was going to be stranded on a long climb.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #3

I pull a 30 ft. Flagstaff V Lite with my 06 Ram Hemi, and I never use the tow/haul switch- I get better gas mileage using the standard overdrive setting- however it does downshift on overpasses usually. If your terrain is hilly however, tow/haul would be beneficial to use for that.
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #4

Thank you both very much for you input. The way it sounds it that the engine is going to blow, I guess we won't be pushing the button any more.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:12 PM   #5

As was said earlier use it on hills to keep the tranny cooler, when you use it it pushes the tranny fluid through the transmission cooler to cool it down faster under load. On long flats you shouldn't need it unless you are in extreme heat.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #6

This is for a class a mh chassis:

TOW/HAUL MODE
The tough, durable TorqShift® transmission features an efficient 0.71 overdrive ratio, a high-mileage internal transmission filter and 36 months/60,000 miles service intervals.
The selectable Tow/Haul Mode helps reduce gear hunting, improves power delivery and uses engine braking to help control vehicle speed when descending hills.
The vehicle does not have to be towing for the driver to use and appreciate the capabilities of Tow/Haul Mode! Select Tow/ Haul Mode by pressing the round switch at the end of the shift lever whenever the terrain causes the transmission to frequently shift. Select Tow/Haul Mode when descending a hill. To decrease vehicle speed, firmly press on the brake pedal and release. The TorqShift® transmission will downshift one gear, which produces engine braking. Repeated pushing and releasing the brake pedal again will cause the transmission to downshift one gear each time until the vehicle is in first gear. Brake heating and wear are greatly reduced.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #7
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
Thank you both very much for you input. The way it sounds it that the engine is going to blow, I guess we won't be pushing the button any more.
That's what I thought, too. I know those V-10s can "sing", but I'm not in a race to get up the hill.
I felt a lot more comfortable going slower at lower revs, especially after the engine automatically de-powered when the tranny got too hot. It was on that hill coming out of Flagstaff going towards Vegas. I can't remember the number, but it was a monster of a climb.
Push the button going downhill though. It works wonders!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #8

That's what tow/haul is supposed to do. Changes the shift points so you don't bog down with a large load. Many modern vehicles are tuned so far to get good gas mileage, that they shift earlier than you would like. But if the load isn't too big, or if your tow vehicle has so much torque it just doesn't care....then don't bother with tow/haul.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote