Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStick View Post
Very exciting. My wife and I spent our coffee sippin time this morning researching some immediate equipment (various hoses, levelers, chocks) and fun items (awning lights, camping games, etc. ).

11 days!
I swore we would NEVER do the tacky awning lights. After a trip to Orlando, we're now proud owners of Mickey lights. Have fun shopping!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Very exciting. My wife and I spent our coffee sippin time this morning researching some immediate equipment (various hoses, levelers, chocks) and fun items (awning lights, camping games, etc. ).

11 days!
Yep! It will no doubt approach $1,000! My wife kept teasing me about all of the packages showing up at our door. We've used EVERYTHING! Have fun with it.

(And your truck will be fine. Next truck you might want to look at Max Tow or Heavy Duty Payload. Both give you more payload capacity.)
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

I swore we would NEVER do the tacky awning lights. After a trip to Orlando, we're now proud owners of Mickey lights. Have fun shopping!
I'm an LSU Tiger fan, and to my surprise my wife found some purple and gold lights. I asked if they have maroon and white since she is an Aggie. She quickly responded that she's been wearing purple and gold since we've been married, so this will be fine too. Mission Complete!

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post

Yep! It will no doubt approach $1,000! My wife kept teasing me about all of the packages showing up at our door. We've used EVERYTHING! Have fun with it.

(And your truck will be fine. Next truck you might want to look at Max Tow or Heavy Duty Payload. Both give you more payload capacity.)
That $1000 is going to be spent quickly I'm afraid! The master plan, although my 8 year old son disagrees, is to pass my current F150 down to him when he turns 16 .

He insists on a nice rig to pull his NASCAR that he hopes to drive one day.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #25
Incheon, S. Korea

My buddy in Tenn has a similar (I think) trailer-truck combo and he loves it!

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #26

OK guys - We hit the CAT scales this weekend, but I was only able to weigh everything together as we were pressed for time.

I also weighed on our way home from a very quick camping trip - a one nighter. Given the results below, I'll be returning to the scales fully loaded, on our way to the campground. I'll be sure to utilize the best procedure - everything with wdh established, everything with wdh disconnected, and then the truck by itself.

At any rate, here are my numbers:
Steer Axle: 3280
Drive Axle: 3680
Trailer Axle: 4760
Gross Weight: 11,720

I find these numbers to be very interesting. The sticker on my Roo 23ss indicate the dry weight is 4576 lbs with a cargo capacity of an additional 1,739 lbs.

According to the Cat scale, I had a trailer axle weight of 4,760, with only 184 lbs of stuff in it? Wow....I assume I'm transferring a lot of weight to my truck....maybe too much weight.

Mind you, all of my tanks were empty, short of a small amount of water in the black tank for treatment.

We had our usual clothes, sleeping bags, food, cooking supplies, three bikes, some basic tools, etc. as well. I'm still not sure how that could be correct, thus I'm going to hit the scales again next time out.

As a reminder, my trucks details are:

2012 F150 Lariat Ecoboost 2x4, 3.55 Rear End - Regular Tow Package. The truck has the 145" wb rated for pulling 9800 lbs with a GCWR of 15,300.

Stickers on the driver door indicate:
GVWR 7100 lb
Front GAWR 3600 lb
Rear GAWR 3850

Obviously, I do not know what my tongue weight was, but I certainly want to find out. Secondly, I do not know what my cargo capacity was, but I'll find that out too. I didn't put very many items in the back of the truck - a light weight table, maybe 30#'s, my drill, ratchet set, tote carrying my rhinoflex and related gear, and another tote carrying my city water/clean water supplies. I also had a third tote carrying my coleman lamp, a couple of small bottles of propane, rain gear, head lamps, etc...nothing heavy. Ah, I did store my 3 chairs, but again, not heavy. I did not bring an ice chest nor firewood. Very quick trip - one night only.

I realize the weight in the small items adds up quickly. I'll begin to put most of this in the travel trailer next time, but I'm not sure exactly where to put the stuff (looking for tips here too).

The good news thus far is it seems I did not violate what my truck is to properly handle, but I'm still concerned that A - the tongue/cargo capacity is more than it should be, and B - that my equilizer is not properly set up.

I'll need to watch that Steer Axle and Drive Axle weight as that is getting too close for comfort.

At any rate, I thought I would share....I do welcome feedback .

Old 02-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

RedSstick, the total weigh of your trailer is the axle weight plus the tongue weight. That is why you are showing only a 184 lb. addition. With a ~600 lb. (guestimate) tongue weight, you are have actually added 784 lbs. to the trailer. The tongue weight is reflected in your truck axles.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

RedStick, my thoughts (as if they really matter )

I think you have a pretty good setup. You have 91% of your FAWR, and 96% of your RAWR....the rear axle in a truck is meant to carry some weight. Depending on the WDH you are using, that might be your optimum setup. Tilting the head assembly back 1 more notch might put too much weight on the front axle.

Doing the CAT scale weights you mentioned traveling to/from a big camping trip will really show you if you are getting enough weight back on the front truck axle, and also give you a true tongue weight (total truck weight with trailer hooked up without WDH spring bars, minus truck solo).

Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #29

Thanks for the comments mtnguy. I'm actual considering taking a spacer/washer out as I'm hoping to have an easier go at getting the ball to release from the coupler.

How much do you think my axle weights will change if I load a good portion of the gear I currently load in to the Roo instead of the back of the truck?

By the way, I have the equilizer 4 point wdh.

At times it seemed like I was being blown around but we did have a strong wind yesterday. Also, it feels like I have a bit of a boat over small waves feel to the ride.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks for the comments mtnguy. I'm actual considering taking a spacer/washer out as I'm hoping to have an easier go at getting the ball to release from the coupler.
Not that familiar with Equalizer, but doesn't taking a spacer away from the hitch tilt the head assembly forward more ?? If that is the case, that would put more weight on the rear axle, which would put it closer/over the RAWR.

I have my head assembly tilted pretty far back, and the coupler comes off the ball fairly easy......I might have to tweak the truck position a little.

Quote:
How much do you think my axle weights will change if I load a good portion of the gear I currently load in to the Roo instead of the back of the truck? By the way, I have the equilizer 4 point wdh.
That would get a little weight off of your rear axle, and in turn give you a little more leeway in the GVWR. I might increase your tongue weight some, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

At times it seemed like I was being blown around but we did have a strong wind yesterday. Also, it feels like I have a bit of a boat over small waves feel to the ride.[/QUOTE]

Strong winds will blow you around some, but as long as the truck and trailer gets shoved as a unit, then the sway control is performing as it should. The small wave feeling is normal....that is the spring bars doing what they should. Wait until you hit a concrete road with expansion joints spaced just right.....you will really get a ride outta that.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #31

So that boat feeling is normal? Same with the being pushed around a bit? Yes, both the truck and trailer move a bit as one unit but it is easily corrected. I'm always checking the mirrors to see who's about to pass. Heading out for the first trip, 18 wheelers didn't move me an inch. Yesterday, they did but the wind was really blowing.

First time hauling something so heavy. I just want to make sure that I'm under the weights needed and that the truck is hauling the way it should.

Thanks for the info - this is a great help!

Old 02-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #32

As to the ball and coupler, it is quite easy to lower in position but it is a bear to take off every time. Maybe I'm doing something wrong ;(.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

The ball is getting caught by either the pawl (moveable part), or the by the cupped out part at the front of the coupler (most likely). If the ball looks like it is to the extreme front part of the coupler, then back the truck up ever so slightly and easy. If the ball looks like it is positioned to the rear of the coupler, then pull the truck forward slightly.

Usually, if the there is pressure against the pawl, it won't release easily, so I think most times the ball being too far forward in the cupped out part of the coupler causes the problem.

Sometimes if I am too lazy to crawl back in the cab, I can just take my foot and shove the hitch sideways with my foot causing the ball to release.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #34
Site Team

pull the truck forward so the ball pushes against the front inside of the coupler and clears the pawl.
many new owners don't do this and have a tough time getting the tongue off the hitch.
electric tongue jack also helps.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #35

Hi, Bikendan. I did pull the truck up ever so slightly the last time. While the ball did release from the coupler with that and a bit of a wiggle, I thought it would just release.

Thanks for the reassurance. So much to learn. Keep the tips coming.

Tags
233, 233s, f150