Old 12-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle

I know this topic has been used over and over again but I was curious if anyone on here has had any experience with NEW Chevy Trucks towing. I just bought a 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3l All Star Edition. After driving my old 4.8l Chevy, this one feels like it has a lot more get up and go. I'm excited to tow with it but was curious if anyone has had an opportunity to tow with the newer chevy. In particular in mountainous areas. I apologize again for the repeated and dreaded tow vehicle question. I'm just excited for the upgrade. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_Enigma32 View Post
I know this topic has been used over and over again but I was curious if anyone on here has had any experience with NEW Chevy Trucks towing. I just bought a 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3l All Star Edition. After driving my old 4.8l Chevy, this one feels like it has a lot more get up and go. I'm excited to tow with it but was curious if anyone has had an opportunity to tow with the newer chevy. In particular in mountainous areas. I apologize again for the repeated and dreaded tow vehicle question. I'm just excited for the upgrade. Thanks in advance!
I'll bite.
First congrats on a great truck!!

I haven't towed with a new gm gasser, just a new gm diesel.

You should feel a difference. The newer trucks were to have direct injection starting with the '14 model. You should have more power and better fuel economy with these new engines.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:18 PM   #3

First off, thank you!! I love the truck! I can already feel a difference in my every day driving. I was looking at diesel but couldn't justify it for my commuter vehicle. I'd love to eventually get one but for now I just need something that will tow my Cruise Lite 180BH. I think loaded its around 5000#. This truck I'm in now is rated to tow 9200#. I'm excited to haul it up a mountain.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #4

My 2014 Chevy 1500 pulls my 2819VS Windjammer just find. Just pulling in the flat lands of Texas. Weight loaded apx. 8,000 lb. The 5.3 with the new injection system gets great fuel MPG empty around town. Trans temp hasn't gone over 210 pulling.
Have fun.
MK Clark
2014 Silverado
2015 2819VS Windjammer
Old 12-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKClark View Post
My 2014 Chevy 1500 pulls my 2819VS Windjammer just find. Just pulling in the flat lands of Texas. Weight loaded apx. 8,000 lb. The 5.3 with the new injection system gets great fuel MPG empty around town. Trans temp hasn't gone over 210 pulling.
Have fun.
MK Clark
2014 Silverado
2015 2819VS Windjammer

That's what I was worried about the most in my old 4.8l. I ended up putting a aftermarket trans cooler on it because I'd see temps around 210-220 in the Utah summer not towing anything. I've stayed around 130-150 with city/highway driving with temps in the mid to upper 30's.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #6

Congrads on the new ride... I have been doing a lot of research along the Chevy line and there are forums that have long discussions about the Torque Management systems on the new trucks hurting the towing side for mileage. If you feel you might need alittle more umph, look into getting a custom tune that matches what you use your truck for. From what I have read, no one has regretted doing it.

yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle