Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2019, 01:51 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwest View Post
I tow with a 2016 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 with the Max Tow Package, 6.2L V-8 (240 HP), 8 speed Trans pulling through a 3:42 rear end on 20 inch wheels.
I'd like to see a picture of the window sticker
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:07 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47driver View Post
I'll be the odd one here. For $30,000 to $35,000, you can get a top of the line 2015 VW Touareg TDI that will tow your TT with ease. While you are not towing, you can average 35-40MPG as well.

I towed my 24' TT from southern Alabama to Banff Canada and back with absolute ease. It's tow rating is 7,700# and truly handles this without any issue. Will you look absolutely unlike any other American (who MUST tow with a truck or its "wrong"), but you won't have to give up the utility of the SUV.

This is my $.02......however, I did go get a big truck in advance of the 5th wheel we are shopping for.

Not sure what "with absolute ease" is?

That said let's see what VW has to say:

"Trailering
Maximum Trailering Capacity (lbs)7716
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs)7716
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs)7716
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs)772
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs)772"

Let me first say it's your car, your rig, your money, you can do it any way you chose.

That said I personally feel very uncomfortable working at the max edge of parameters/safety envelope. If I were towing 7k and a MAX of 7.7k frame I would be hesitant to head out anywhere. Just me, no more, no less, others may see and choose differently...I see them going up and down I 10 all the time.

Don't take a knife to a gun fight.
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:09 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
Not sure what "with absolute ease" is?

That said I personally feel very uncomfortable working at the max edge of parameters/safety envelope. If I were towing 7k and a MAX of 7.7k frame I would be hesitant to head out anywhere. Just me, no more, no less, others may see and choose differently...I see them going up and down I 10 all the time.

Don't take a knife to a gun fight.

"With absolute ease" means exactly what is says. The VW engineering specs says absolutely that this load was within it's engineering limits, withing VW liability limits and within the American litigious limits. After touring the production facility, and seeing the engineering behind this vehicle (the Porsche Cayane and Audi Q7 on the same line), I am convinced of it's capability and safety margin despite any snarky comment. Besides, this is engineering, not a knife or gun fight we are discussing.

But, if you prefer to go by feeling rather than engineering, that is on you. However, one has better vision when not focussed down one's own nose.
47driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:05 PM   #64
Scoundrel

Quote:
But, if you prefer to go by feeling rather than engineering, that is on you. However, one has better vision when not focussed down one's own nose.
With all due respect, I've owned several Volks Wagons and after thousands of dollars in repairs for fuel injectors, broken engine mounts, and a zillion other miscellaneous problems I'll never pay another nickel for anything VW produces (although I do regret selling my 63 split window VW Bus).

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:01 AM   #65

Quote:
However, one has better vision when not focused down one's own nose.
Dang, LOL
Old 01-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #66

Quote:
Quote:
"With absolute ease"
means exactly what is says.
The VW engineering specs says absolutely that this load was within it's engineering limits, withing VW liability limits and within the American litigious limits. After touring the production facility, and seeing the engineering behind this vehicle (the Porsche Cayane and Audi Q7 on the same line), I am convinced of it's capability and safety margin despite any snarky comment. Besides, this is engineering, not a knife or gun fight we are discussing.

Ok, Mr. Snark, let me start off with this since you lacked the courage to quote. When you quote out of context you only do so to prop up a weak argument:

"Let me first say it's your car, your rig, your money, you can do it any way you chose."

I was not and never attacked YOU, VW or anything else. My comment addressed working at the edge of engineering parameters. Vehicle + attached RV even if working inside the operating parameters is still subject to external forces that can impact your safety envelope and break thru those parameters to create a catastrophic event. In fact, we see this on our streets and highway every day.

My views are driven by a career(s) engineering in mission-critical environments for which I will not apologize. As a result, I drive an F 350 diesel with 935 lb of torque and a towing capacity of well over double the towed weight I pull.

I still have no idea of what your definition of "With absolute ease" really is. Sounds more like a fuzzy feeling rather than an engineering metric. From the eyes and experience of a combat Infantry soldier: Don't bring a knife to a gun fight!!!
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
Ok, Mr. Snark, let me start off with this since you lacked the courage to quote. When you quote out of context you only do so to prop up a weak argument:

"Let me first say it's your car, your rig, your money, you can do it any way you chose."

I was not and never attacked YOU, VW or anything else. My comment addressed working at the edge of engineering parameters. Vehicle + attached RV even if working inside the operating parameters is still subject to external forces that can impact your safety envelope and break thru those parameters to create a catastrophic event. In fact, we see this on our streets and highway every day.

My views are driven by a career(s) engineering in mission-critical environments for which I will not apologize. As a result, I drive an F 350 diesel with 935 lb of torque and a towing capacity of well over double the towed weight I pull.

I still have no idea of what your definition of "With absolute ease" really is. Sounds more like a fuzzy feeling rather than an engineering metric. From the eyes and experience of a combat Infantry soldier: Don't bring a knife to a gun fight!!!

Ok, slow down. No need to resort to name calling here. I'm trying to compare feelings to engineering.

I did not take anything out of context, as your entire context is that it is not smart to use a vehicle to do a job that it is engineered for. My argument isn’t weak, as it is based on science. Since you say you have a history in engineering, you should understand this better than most. I am a pilot, accident investigator/reconstructionist, metallurgist, and kinematic engineer. Working on the edge of parameters is exactly what I addressed in my response. When you state “even if working inside the operating parameters is still subject to external forces that can impact your safety envelope and break thru those parameters to create a catastrophic event” shows a lack of understanding the engineering behind the parameters listed publically for the vehicle. The numbers listed on vehicles are based on SAE J684, J2807, J2638 (and others) that were established in 2011 or 2012 if memory serves. These standards include steady state and impact strength of individual components and the whole unit compassed of the individual components. There are five areas to prove; structure, propulsion, thermal handling and braking. The tests are very extensive and proves the vehicle to handle all the outside forces that come into play that may exceed the steady state limits. There are things like speed bumps, swerves, fender benders, headwinds, side winds etc that are taken into the engineering. For fear of repeating myself, then numbers you see on your car sticker are for steady state towing and the outside forces are taken into account. I was in a meeting with Chrysler engineer Jason Briggs, Nisan engineer Richard Miller, Ford engineer Eric Kuehn and others years ago as the SAE standards were being developed. I was a fly on the wall during that meeting, but it was a big eye opener to the amount of engineering on these vehicles capabilities and the further legal liability safety requirements that are further imposed by the manufacturer.

With absolute ease means:
Absolute: free from imperfection
With Ease: without difficulty

Or as an illustration; I pulled the 24’ TT up the Eisenhower (7%) grade at the speed limit the entire way. Also was able to start from a dead stop on Wyoming 14A (10%) grade to the speed limit. I was also able to downshift and use my brakes only three times on the Eisenhower on the way back down. These are indicators of ease. I also averaged 12 MPG towing the TT.

I understand that none of these facts will change your mind. But, the more I read on the forum, I see that there are many who share opinion based on bad information. It is humbling to discover you don’t know what you thought you knew. This still happens to me often. But let’s not dismiss a fact because it requires a bit of humility.
2010 24’ Fleetwood Pegasus
2017 24’ Flagstaff Shamrock 23IKSS
2015 Ram 3500 Diesel MegaCab 4X4 SRW
Old 01-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #68

Looking for tow vehicle to tow Sabre 36bhq 5th wheel

I am looking to upgrade to a Sabre 36bhq 5th wheel and wanted to get help on truck options. I am looking at Ram 3500 srw and Ford 350 srw trucks, of course diesel. Originally wanted a 3/4 ton but figured pin weight would be a problem. The truck will be my daily and I really don’t want to drive around a dually everyday. Appreciate any help/advice.

Trailer specs
Dry weight 12k
Pin weight 2,100 lbs
42ft long
Jhernandez1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:26 PM   #69

J, I'd say that the weights are just fine for a Dodge 3500 SRW. However, the length speaks to it's height. Most likely, it is over 13' tall. That usually speaks to needing a wider foundation (DRW). However, if you are experienced and conscientious of the weather conditions, a SRW will be fine. I would opt for a long wheel base as well. Long box or mega cab will give you better angles needed for stability.
2010 24’ Fleetwood Pegasus
2017 24’ Flagstaff Shamrock 23IKSS
2015 Ram 3500 Diesel MegaCab 4X4 SRW
Old 01-23-2019, 03:40 PM   #70

Quote:
But, the more I read on the forum, I see that there are many who share opinion based on bad information. It is humbling to discover you don’t know what you thought you knew. This still happens to me often. But let’s not dismiss a fact because it requires a bit of humility.
Dang, he did it again
Old 01-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #71
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhernandez1304 View Post
I am looking to upgrade to a Sabre 36bhq 5th wheel and wanted to get help on truck options. I am looking at Ram 3500 srw and Ford 350 srw trucks, of course diesel. Originally wanted a 3/4 ton but figured pin weight would be a problem. The truck will be my daily and I really don’t want to drive around a dually everyday. Appreciate any help/advice.

Trailer specs
Dry weight 12k
Pin weight 2,100 lbs
42ft long
Better to start your own thread with your own question, rather than hijack someone else's thread on page 7. Don't read that as me being offended. I just think you'll get better information from more people in your own thread. I'd normally leave it there, but since the thread has devolved into some petty arguing, I'll indulge you at the risk of hijacking away from the OP's thread ...

I'll start with the obvious: A DRW will tow 40'+, 13,000 lb+ trailers better than SRW, because a DRW will tow virtually any heavy load better than a SRW. Dry weight is pretty useless, so figure another 1,000 - 1,500 lbs on top of that for gear, options, and other stuff. You'll be towing 13,000 - 14,000 lbs ... and that's assuming it's not a toy hauler with something inside.

Your pin weight will be in the 2,300 range and could approach 2,500 lbs, I suppose. So, payload is important here and could push 3/4-ton ratings (I know, you didn't ask about that). A 1-ton diesel should have around 3,500 lbs of payload, give or take a few hundred depending on your trim level, 2WD vs 4WD, and some other bits and pieces. So, even with that stout pin weight, you'll still have over 1,000 lbs for passengers, gear, pets, hitches, and other stuff.

So, a 1-ton SRW will be fine. DRW will be better, but not required.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #72

Thanks for the reply. Yes the camper with optional 2nd a/c is 13ft-2 in height. Looking for a mid bunk house 5th wheel setup and the Sabre was perfect, just wish it wasn’t so big....I’d hate to upgrade to something smaller and than 5 years down the road want something bigger.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #73

My bad! I am new here and will make sure to start a new thread in the future. Thanks for the info. We are very lite packers and keep tanks dry as we mostly camp locally here in florida.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:56 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhernandez1304 View Post

Trailer specs

Dry weight 12k

Pin weight 2,100 lbs

42ft long

Basically looks like my wildcat 38mb with those numbers my f 350 swd towed it just fine I only upgraded to a dually because well honestly I don’t know why I can say empty it rides better and turning radius is better but pulled Wildcat from Texas to Yellowstone and blackhills and more just over 6k in a month with the Ford SWD no problems
Old 01-24-2019, 08:36 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
Basically looks like my wildcat 38mb with those numbers my f 350 swd towed it just fine I only upgraded to a dually because well honestly I don’t know why I can say empty it rides better and turning radius is better but pulled Wildcat from Texas to Yellowstone and blackhills and more just over 6k in a month with the Ford SWD no problems

That’s great to hear. Was your SRW 350 short bed or long?
Old 01-24-2019, 09:08 PM   #76

Long bed crew with 6.7 I enjoyed the truck a lot except turn radius

Tags
tow vehicle