Old 09-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #21

just looked at page 74 in the Maryland dmv book thanks to ependydad. I'm just wondering what they mean by non-commercial vehicle with a travel trailer (65') In ca. ALL pick-ups have a commercial tag. A car couldn't tow a TT to a max of 65'.. If you know what they mean let me know. In 99 when I had a 3/4 ton suburban I went todmv and paid for a commercial tag. went to highway patrol office to inguire about pulling triples. rv dealer said illegal to tow ball to ball instead of 5th wheel to ball. CHP said ball to ball was legal. I towed this set-up for 6 years got pulled over 3 times because the officer wanted to check for commercial drivers license..sorry got off subject....hopefully you might be under the 65' part.. try asking a highway patrol officer especially a commercial officer like at a truck scale on the highway.. good luck

Old 09-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #22

LOL, looks like I won't be going to New Jersey anytime soon (50' max). Oh, what a shame!!

Rancho RS9000XL's and Firestone airbags
Pullrite Superglide 18k hitch
alphadog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
Fulltime family RVer

Robert- my truck is about 22' and my FW is 42', but my overall length is only 58.5'. My with thought I was pretty crazy as we measured it with our little 10' tape measure!

So, in MD- trucks (even duallies) are NOT automatically registered as commercial. But, we do have special licensing requirements for trailers over 10,000 pounds or gross combined weights over 26,001.

That said- this prompted me to email the MD SHA email address that was provided in the handbook. I'm curious as to their take.

I'm also more curious as to what I'll do if it really is 55'!
Old 09-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #24

Wow I never even consider this.
Ontario has interesting maximums

--------------
From the Ministry of Transportation

Maximum lengths

Motor home or truck camper, including load and extensions: 12.5 metres (41 ft).

Fifth wheel house trailer:
14.65 m (48 ft), or up to 16.2 m (53 ft) if certain conditions are met, i.e. must have air brakes on all wheels of the combination.

Hitch pull type house trailer: 12.5 m (41 ft)

Combination of vehicles: 23 m (75' 6").
----------------

So as I read it you can have a
5er up to 53ft or
TT up to 41ft
With the combination TV/5er or TV/TT max of 75ft. 6in.

Or a 41ft. motor home/truck camper

I am well under with a TV of 19ft 9in. and a TT of 23ft 9in. which gives me the combined length of 43ft 6in.

2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn V8 Hemi
Previous Trailer -> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Robert- my truck is about 22' and my FW is 42', but my overall length is only 58.5'. My with thought I was pretty crazy as we measured it with our little 10' tape measure!

So, in MD- trucks (even duallies) are NOT automatically registered as commercial. But, we do have special licensing requirements for trailers over 10,000 pounds or gross combined weights over 26,001.

That said- this prompted me to email the MD SHA email address that was provided in the handbook. I'm curious as to their take.

I'm also more curious as to what I'll do if it really is 55'!
well I guess that would be at least 2 of us trying to figure it out...LOL..
Old 09-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #26

Reason for being "LEGAL"

The patrolman's reply was right on, giving us a realistic perspective on the subject of being "legal" with all the charts and numbers. He was to concerned with "speeders" to be worried about an RV / TT legal details.

I feel it should be pointed out that besides peace of mind the MAIN reason to apply all of these numbers and determine if you are legal is to avoid a challenge in a court of law. Especially in the USA, where "ambulance chasing" lawyers are well established. If the perverbial "little old person" pulls out in front of you and you cannot avoid the colision then you better be legal when his lawyer starts running the numbers to prove in court that the accident was caused by an RV and TT that where not legal because.........................

This is the main reason I drive to a CAT scale, get weighed, documented, and have a signed receipt before every trip on the USA highways.
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #27

My bet is your only option is UP -- carrying it on a custom rack on top of your cab. I saw a pretty sweet rack on a truck outside of an RV show last year. Nothing was up there, but the rack was freaking insane. We assumed it was for carrying a golf cart or something like that.[/QUOTE]

Do you happen to remember what this setup is called or who made it?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #28

We have not dealt with any state issues, but we have heard that CA stops RVs, measures them and gives hefty tickets for those even a smidgen over.
That said, we currently tow a 32 ft 5er with our long bed crew cab F350 and were in New Jersey a couple of times. No issues there. Interesting discussion.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzyteach View Post
We have not dealt with any state issues, but we have heard that CA stops RVs, measures them and gives hefty tickets for those even a smidgen over.
That said, we currently tow a 32 ft 5er with our long bed crew cab F350 and were in New Jersey a couple of times. No issues there. Interesting discussion.
I never thought this thread would get so many replies.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Wow, I had no idea some states were at 60', and DC and Maryland at 55'.

Trailer Life Directory

So much for us recommending long wheelbased TVs for long trailers.

Plead negligence.
Shouldn't this information be required to be posted at each RV dealer as well as being afixed to the RV unit so every RV buyer knows there are limits in the various states?