Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #1
Coachmen Clipper Fan

Tow Vehicle Brake Controller Not Working...

Hello: Just making the final camping trip of the year and after getting all hooked up and ready to roll, I noticed my brake controller in my Ford Expedition (installed five years ago by my trailer dealer) wasn't working.

I just had two dots, so there was power going to the controller, but not the usual lowercase 'c' that shows me its connected such that when I do step on the brakes, the numbers of braking power are displayed.

I checked the 7-pin connector going into the socket on my car and it was securely inserted. All my lights, turn signals, hazards, running lights, etc. all work ok--just not the brake controller inside the car (underneath the dashboard.

When I push the emergency brake engage switch on the controller, I get what looks like a lowercase 'n c', which I'm assuming means "Not Connected" (?)

Any ideas what else I can look at? Fortunately, I was only driving 50 miles to the campground and on fairly level roads. I just took my time and got here ok, but I do want this fixed before the first trip next Spring.

Thanks for any and all assistance re: this issue....
Old 10-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #2

Tow Vehicle Brake Controller Not Working...

It thinks it not connected. Need to trace blue wire starting at brake controller. Most problems are at the 7-way plug or wire
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
Coachmen Clipper Fan

Thanks, Learjet....I'll see if I can figure out where this problem may be then....

Tags
brake control, controller, tow vehicle