Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2016, 07:42 AM   #1

Tow Vehicle Brake Upgrade

I own an 06 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins (my TV) and have had issues with stock brakes heating up in heavy traffic towing my 40' fifther.
Anyone out there got suggestions about after-market up-grades to beef up brakes such as what type replacement pads and rotors to use, and any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Regards,
Blurose2
Blurose2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
Site Team

I understand your want to upgrade the tow vehicle brakes, but the fifth wheel shouldn't be putting a lot of load on the TV brakes if it's brakes are working properly.

When was the last time the RV's brakes were serviced?

You may be better served by changing the RV's brakes to disc brakes.

If you want to improve the TV brakes anyway, try the Mopar 'Premium' pads and rotors.

Also, do you have an Exhaust Brake installed. If not, I'd suggest that as a first attempt to improve your braking.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #3
clr

The first thing that I would do would be to check out the electrical braking system between the TV and the TT. The first check would be the setting of the brake controller in the truck and see if increasing the gain helps. Next I would check to see what voltage you see at the TV plug when you press down on the brake, you should see close to 12vdc depending upon how hard you are pressing the brake. If you are able to get 12vdc at the truck I would assume that the truck is OK and begin checking the TT. First I would do a visual check of the wiring and the connections to each axle for the brakes. If OK I would then pull the drums and inspect each wheel you may have blown a grease seal and see grease inside the brake assembly.
Do a search of the forum here looking for RAM, Dodge TV brake problems you will find many that may help fix your problem.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #4

If your 2500 Ram is similar to my 2008 2500 Ram you should have 4 wheel disc brakes on the truck, correct ?

If so you should have no problem in stopping the truck and trailer if the trailer brakes are working correctly and the GAIN is set correctly on the brake controller.

Now do you do a brake check when you start to tow as the first thing when you leave? What I mean is do you actuate the emergency brake controller switch to see if the trailer will stop you at slow speed without the use of the service brakes? If the trailer will stop you than the gain and the trailer brakes are set correctly. If the trailer will not stop you either the brakes are not set correctly or the GAIN is set to low on the brake controller.

You will need to either adjust repair the trailer brakes and adjust the Gain on your brake controller.

My Gain is set at 6.3 and will stop the truck and trailer adequately.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurose2 View Post
I own an 06 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins (my TV) and have had issues with stock brakes heating up in heavy traffic towing my 40' fifther.
Anyone out there got suggestions about after-market up-grades to beef up brakes such as what type replacement pads and rotors to use, and any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Regards,
Blurose2
A lot of upgraded, better quality brake rotors and pads available. Cummins diesel forum is a good source to ask.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
Boondocking Only

The stock brakes are very capable.....your RV brakes might need to be adjusted.
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #7
Boondocking Only

The stock brakes are very capable.....your RV brakes might need to be adjusted.
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #8

The stock brakes should be fine, plus also check as to what your brake controller is set at. You can bump it up slightly to let the trailer do more of the braking, but then you'll ware them out quicker and heat them up.
If you really want to upgrade, I've used brakeperformance.com as they sell drilled and slotted rotors that really help with the heat. I've installed these on every tv I've had and even my street cars. On my 2000 E350 diesel van, they made a world of difference on long downhills since it didn't have an engine brake.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:00 AM   #9

The truck's brakes do not stop the trailer. The trailer's brakes should be stopping the trailer? Do you have braking issues when not towing? If not, then you do not need to do anything to the truck, but need to address whatever is wrong with the trailer brakes, or your brake controller.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle