Old 08-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #11
Originally Posted by BadWolf View Post
Thank you again for all the replies. We took a look at the Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie and fell in love (just not with the price tag!) I think we'll hold off and look at the 2014's when they arrive on the lot since camping season will be coming to end by the time we're ready to pull the trigger on purchasing the truck and TT. Can't wait to get out and start camping!
If you want a MegaCab and want to stick within your ratings, you need to look at the 2013s and newer (you did say you were going to be looking at 2014s). The '12s and earlier have incredibly low payload numbers compared to their crew cab counterparts.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
daydreaming about camping
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Posted this elsewhere, but posting it here because I have the exact same TT.

I have a Chevy 1/2 ton 1500 with 3.45 rear end, and I'm disappointed big time. I am actually in South Carolina right now visiting daughter and grandsons. Had I pulled this thing from Arkansas, I'd not have made it!!

Wife's Tahoe blew the fuel pump in driving rain at MM 10.5 on I-40E, on the acceleration ramp of the first NC Welcome Center, going uphill. Scary scary stuff. I doubt I'd have made it up the Smokies with my current setup (I got passed by a lot of similar ones, not sure how they do it), and honestly I wouldn't even try.

I'm waiting on the 2014 Chevy 2500 with 6.2L and Max Trailer Package. Gonna hock the farm and just get one.
I have to think your rear end ratio is what is killing you here. In theory that truck should have the juice to get you there, but the rear end is geared to low (numerically).

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
Don't be fooled by the Dodge Ram 1500, yeah it can tow 10K but the rear springs are no match for towing. I had '09 Ram 1500 CC VSB Hemi 4x4 and I spent hundreds for that thing to handle the weight of a Jayco 228. Well Traded in for a '13 Ram 2500 CC SB Hemi 4x4 and bring on the weight. Traded in the 228 for a Catalina 272BH, 2500 tows like a dream not white knuckled. Be safe not sorry.
TV: 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi Crew Cab 4X4, Factory Brake Control, Equalizer
TT: 2017 Cherokee Grey Wolf 22RR Toyhauler
HDHemi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
With the newer transmissions of 6 speeds and much better then in the past, the rear end ratio, while still important, much less so. Try pulling with a F250 with a ratio of 3.31 or 3.51 and they do very well, no jack rabit starts.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #15
You will be happier with the bigger truck.... I have a F-150 and a F-250. With the F-150.... the truck knows that something is back there, and it don't like it.....the F-250.... goes all day long and not a care in the world....

Safety first and always. Get the bigger Ram.
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #16
I had the same trailer prior to my new trailer and truck. I also pulled it with a crew cab hemi. I had stepped up to the hemi from at Chevy 1500 with the 5.3 I believe... I was impressed going to the hemi, it pulled it well. It rev'd a little harder in the hills then I really cared for, but it would do it all day and not hiccup once. The hemi is a great motor and the 26DBH is a great camper.

After a few shorter trips with the 1500 Hemi I noticed my trans and engine warming up fast, never got to where I felt uncomfortably hot, but it would heat up fast going up hills and such. This is mainly due to the drive train and cooling systems being smaller.

I switched to a 2500 for the added weight to help "boss" the trailer around rather than being the other way. It also gave me added confidence knowing my drive train and cooling systems were built for the task at hand.

Seeing that you will be in the mountains often, I highly recommend the 2500. This will give you a heavier truck for added control. Steering will be beefier, tires stiffer, cooling systems bigger, brakes bigger and drive train much stronger.

The newer body style rams 1500/2500/3500 all ride very nicely! If you can afford a cummins DO IT! you wont regret it! If you do go with a Cummins try to get a 2012 as it wasn't mandatory to have the DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) added to it yet. This is just another task and thing to remember, it will also up your resale as people a few years from now wont want to deal with it!!!

As stated earlier... Buy the most you can afford now... I have gone through 3 trucks in the past 1.5 years stepping up... (dont tell my wife, but I still wish I would have bought a 3500 manual transmission )

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #17
I have a 2013 26 DBH and live in the WNC mountains. I have already towed it over 4000 miles this year with a 1/2 ton truck with an Andersen hitch and had no problems or the need for a larger truck. My truck has 117,000 miles on it and I spend more time in it while not towing so I want a comfortable ride. I used to have a smaller camper that I towed with a 3/4 ton that beat me to death when I wasn't towing so I dropped back to the 1/2 ton and haven't looked back.

intensepisgahbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

grey wolf, tow vehicle