Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle HUBS???? How many have had to replace??

Just replaced the second rear hub in my '14 Ford Flex. 1st at 40K miles, this one at 55K miles.

5th hub I've replaced in 2 vehicles I've owned that have them!!!

Flex is rated 4500# towing, 500# hitch. I have a custom-built 7x14 Lightening Toy Hauler modified to a Rolling Man Cave. I'm pulling 3200# at most, 340# hitch weight at most.

Seems like a terrible design to me. I long for the old 'long spindle and two big bearings' design.

anyone else experiencing significant noise requiring eventual replacement of wheel hubs???
JanFMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Well, you have a vehicle built for transporting people, NOT for towing.
So it will suffer from stress of towing, since it's not designed for the rigors of towing.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #3

Don't forget to add the weight of everything in the back seat and cargo area. Have you weighted it fully loaded and hooked up to the trailer?
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
So it will suffer from stress of towing, since it's not designed for the rigors of towing.
Expected a reply like this, don't flame me now, but ... Ford says it is if AWD and with Tow Package which mine is/has, did extensive research, many use the AWD Flex with factory tow package as a tow vehicle for far greater weights than I am. I did not want a Huge Giant Pickup Truck... ( and the vehicle needed to fit in my garage.. (:> )...

Hoping for an answer to the question, not a chastising for 'wrong vehicle'.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #5

Yup. fully loaded, both trailer and vehicle, on a semi-trailer scale, actually full and empty as well.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:00 PM   #6

I had a Ford Explorer irs that liked to eat hubs and they were a pita to swap out. After having ford do it a couple of times I didn’t it myself and found that the hubs were way over torqued. After I replaced all 4 I never had another issue
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkjr72 View Post
I had a Ford Explorer irs that liked to eat hubs and they were a pita to swap out. After having ford do it a couple of times I didn’t it myself and found that the hubs were way over torqued. After I replaced all 4 I never had another issue

This is usually the reason!!!! Over torqued!!!

Lazy techs using good and too tight method!!!
Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #8

Over-torqued makes perfect sense, as it would be far faster and easier to just rattle the hub nut on with an air gun as opposed to using a torque wrench. I expect even on the assembly line air tools are used that are supposedly set to the proper torque, but may not be calibrated often enough. Both the Flex hubs have been done either a Ford garage or a highly rated local shop. Never occurred to me to ask if they actually use a torque wrench. Normally I'd replace these myself, but first was under warranty, second just yesterday was replaced in a shop because of -12 weather and I hurt my shoulder and cannot do the work at this time.
Good info, thanks!!!!
Old 01-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
bikendan is not chastising just making statement. Your car might be good to tow at rated limit a hand full of times, but not on a regular basis.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle