Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #21

Brw,

I just got a 2012 2500 ram diesel a few months ago. I too use this as my main mode of transportation. I was hung up on the 2500/3500 deal for the longest time and must have read thousands of articles online. The tow capacity with similar gearing was only about 1000 lbs. difference and price was about 1500 bucks. All I can say is get the one that will suit your towing needs, as the mileage will be about the same. I have 3000 miles on my truck and average 14-15 mpg..and have been told that will go up after I hit approx 5000 miles. I can pull most mid sized 5rs no problem. But the larger , 38feet plus, quad slid models, you will probably want the extra payload capacity of the 3500 for the higher pin weights. I used to have a 38 foot Montana fifth wheel, weights just under16k lbs, and pulled it with a 2004 dodge 3500 SRW and you didn't even know it was there. My current camper was already in storage when I got my new truck , so I have not pulled it yet, but I did pull my 30 foot boat, a cruiser, weighs 10k and it was great.

As far as Diesel engines , drive them all, as stated, all the manufactures are making great engines now, but I do have to say in my opinion, the cummins in the dodge is the best, and has been for a long time. I have always heard that no matter who I ask. But try them all out. I love mine

2015 Dodge 2500 Big Horn 4x4 6.4 HEMI
2015 Grand Designs Reflections 323 BHS
Reese 16K Quick Slide with Factory Rail Kit Option
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #22
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
One of the things I don't like with the late model 4WD is that the front axle ride is too high...almost the same as the rear ride height. You put away significant weight in the back, it looks like the truck is squatting.

Dave
True for a Ford but sure isn't on a Dodge, our Dodge was over 4" higher in the rear than the Ford and I had a heck of a time getting the trailer to sit level.Iin order to get the Dodge to sit level like a Ford you need a leveling kit to bring the nose up 2 or 3". The later Ford's only have 2" blocks in the back that can be changed for larger ones to get the rear up higher though. I really like the way the Ford sits other than I now have to get a new shank for my Blue Ox hitch in the spring.

One other thing about 4wd's is Ford's are the only ones with locking front hubs right from the factory. They are automatic with a manual lock override. Dodge and GM spin the entire 4wd power train all the time. Although after reading goduc's post above sounds like Dodge is coming around especially given they are going to a radius arm front end like the Ford as well. Maybe they just got rights to use the entire front end design as it is on the Ford's.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #23
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by brw549 View Post
I currently own a Nissan Titan LE with the "Big Tow" package and have had great success in pulling my Flagstaff V-Lite thousands of miles over the past two years. This spring we hope to move up to a fifth wheel and I am looking at the Dodge Ram 2500. Do any of you know if the fuel mileage performance is of significance between the 4x2 and the 4x4? I've owned a 4x4 years ago and only used the 4 wheel drive two times in four years. Any thoughts on the benefits of one over the other is appreciated.
I opted to stay with 2WD due to wanting the most tow capacity...rarely in a situation that needed 4WD so for me, easy choice.
Example, in the GM trucks, diesel, crew cab models...you lose about 1600lbs in tow capacity when you opt for 4WD vs 2WD.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #24

Thanks All, you will be happy to know the battle is over and I purchased a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie, Crew Cad two wheel drive. I have had it a week and have been very pleased with the fuel mileage. Its better than my Nissan gas burner was. I have the 3.73 gear in this one and have averaged almost 20 on the hwy. I can't wait to hook the camper to it. I have posted some towing questions on the Tow Section in the forum because we hope to move up from our TT to a fifth wheel by the spring. Figuring the tow capacity, pin weight and all of the other numbers is crazy... Thanks for all of comments on the truck
brw549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #25

Congrats on the new truck.
We get one on Monday ('13 silverado 1500 4x4). Here in PA the weather is nasty enough you don't want a 2wd truck unless maybe you're retired or have something else for the snow.
I've got a recent (to me) subaru and am dissapointed in it's AWD capability. Our expedition is AWD (full time 4x4) and it's a beast. The chevy is 2wd/awd/4x4/low 4x4 with locking rear axle (which the expy has as well) and I expect great things. I think the subaru has cheap junk tires on it (bought in 3 months ago, used). I"m investing in michelins when it's time to change them.

I talked at length with a dodge product rep at the detroit auto show and to tow what we want a 3;73 gear was needed or better even, or buy a bigger heavier truck - and suffer the mileage issues. Since this will be my wife's daily driver and just about everyone I know with a full size chevy claims great mileage we opted for the chevy.

I"ve been a ford person for nearly 30 years (with a jeep now and then and a dodge minivan) but too many PITA issues (sub frame/suspension recalls/rusting out/failing on the road), the expy is hard to work on, prolly the hardest vehicle I"ve owned in that regard, although the windstar was a close second in some things.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #26

Congrats on the new truck Savor those mpg numbers. My buddy has a 2012 2500 HEMI with the 3.73 and he gets about 12 mpg, 8 when towing his fifth wheel..and I only get 15 with my 2500 diesel so if your getting 20 that's outstanding...

2015 Dodge 2500 Big Horn 4x4 6.4 HEMI
2015 Grand Designs Reflections 323 BHS
Reese 16K Quick Slide with Factory Rail Kit Option
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote