Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcs1jrt View Post
. Don't I remember you from the TM site?
Cheri
Uh-uh......I've been busted.

I still hang around there, and sometimes contribute.

Welcome to the world of a non-folding camper. My TM was great, but now we enjoy the convenience of a camper we can walk into anytime on the road, from those quick pit stops to lunch looking out at the world through our picture window. The walk around queen, full sized fridge, and overhead cabinets are a big plus also. The gas mileage......well, you gotta take the bad with the good.

I was a little fearful of taking the leap to a conventional camper after reading all of the scary stuff on sway. Once I got the WDH setup properly, I now realize that was the least of my concerns. Did I mention the gas mileage?

I had to relearn some of my driving techniques because this camper is longer and higher. I have scrubbed a couple of curbs, that but has gotten better. Can't get this one into some camping spots that the TM would fit into. And I have to remember........NO DRIVE-THRUS NOW !!!!

Enjoy the new camper.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #22

I did love my TM, having come from a tent trailer that had zero amenities. (no bathroom no hot water, no water pump even.) But like you, we decided we needed to make the change after 5 years of building and unbuilding. We will sign the papers on the new tow vehicle this weekend so maybe by Jan we will be ready for a shake down voyage. Bye Bye gas mileage, but Hello creature comforts and quick set up and get away.
DH is a FedEx driver and no stranger to big rigs. I, on the other hand will need to learn the ropes of towing. I had just gotten around to sharing the duties on the TM this year. Still haven't tried parking the thing..

Thanks for all the help. I am sure there will be more questions to come. This site is every bit as friendly as the TM site. Thanks everyone
By the way, I tried to send you a private message but did something wrong, I guess...or you'll get it 4 or 5 times : (
Cheri
3bcs1jrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #23

Ok, so wdh is mounted. Now I need to transfer the brake controller from the Astro to the new van. Can we do this ourselves? or is this a bad idea. DH wants to give it a go. I am paranoid. Is the "wiring harness" the existing one that runs to the 7 prong plug? Or is there a harness specific to the brake controller?

Cheri
2010 Wildwood T23FBS
2009 Chevy Express 2500 van
Old 12-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cheri, a 2009 Chevy van with a tow package should have the proper plugs so that you don't have to splice anything. If you have the directions for the brake controller, you have the "pigtail" that comes with new vehicles, and you can find where the plugs connect, then you can probably do it yourself. On my F150, the brake controller plugged into 2 places under the steering wheel, and then there was relay that had to be installed on the passenger side.....I think. I let the shop where I bought the controller do it, but realized that I probably could have done it myself with the directions.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #25

I did not order my van. It was on the lot but the dealership mounted the hitch and 7 prong plug. I don't know if that would be a "tow package" it did not include mirrors or any other towing amenities. (Tranny cooler is standard.) I know our prodigy brake controller does not unplug in the back. The wires will have to be cut. I guess we will take a look for this "pigtail" over the weekend.
To be continued...
Thanks
Cheri
2010 Wildwood T23FBS
Old 12-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

The pigtail that comes with new vehicles is just some wires sticking out of a plug-in fitting, if I remember correctly. Since your dealer installed the hitch and bargman connector, then I doubt your van came with a towing package. The wiring harness might not accept a plug in adapter. If it were me, I would let someone more familiar with these things do the brake controller wiring.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #27

That's kind of how I felt.

Thanks Chap
2010 Wildwood T23FBS