Old 04-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #91

if $15 worth of DEF every 5000 miles is a deal breaker for anyone, they have no business owning anything other than a Prius

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #92
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
everything breaks at some point, and every emission system since forever was not designed to increase power or mileage, just decrease emissions, so where is DEF any different from a cat converter, which will eventually clog or fall apart, an egr, which has many ways to fail?
X2

And That's why you have a warranty, and an extended one available if one so desires.....or just know someone or do it your self.
Not a bad idea to have a warranty on a diesel in my opinion.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
DEF cost money, and the system will eventually break putting it into limp mode.

The DEF does nothing to increase power or mileage, it's a better way to handle emissions is all.
I'm not an expert, but it does seem as though the DEF trucks do make more power and get better mileage. I am thinking the DEF trucks, because of the lowered emissions, have to do fewer and shorter regens, therefore increasing fuel milage overall. Not sure about how they are making the additional power, but it sure seems to have jumped up there on the DEF trucks.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #94
Camper Less Camping

Additional power doesn't come from the DEF, that's the new tuning engineers tweek each year out of the engines.

Better emissions control and mileage...that's the perk with the DEF system on a stock diesel engine setup.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #95

Maybe I miss this somewhere ...trying to follow theses posts..can someone tell me what DEF means?...thanks
Old 04-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpman View Post
Maybe I miss this somewhere ...trying to follow theses posts..can someone tell me what DEF means?...thanks
Diesel exhaust fluid
Old 04-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Additional power doesn't come from the DEF, that's the new tuning engineers tweek each year out of the engines.

Better emissions control and mileage...that's the perk with the DEF system on a stock diesel engine setup.
I know the DEF itself doesn't increase power- it is injected into the DPF, IIRC. Was thinking the DEF maybe ALLOWED the manufacturer to tune to higher performance and still meet EPA guidelines by cleaning up the exhaust. So, not really CAUSING and increase in power but ALLOWING it???? This is merely speculation based upon seeing the numbers skyrocket post-DEF.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #98
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I just traded up from a 1500 to a 2500 to pull something bigger. I looked at a gasser at $38,000 vs a duramax for $44,000. I also did the math of the duramax cost per mile/ features of the allison for towing/improved towing performance/ end of the year promos pricing/ and having bought a extended warranty by GM for 6 years. After all said and done, I felt warm and fuzzy that I decided on the diesel vs gas.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
I just traded up from a 1500 to a 2500 to pull something bigger. I looked at a gasser at $38,000 vs a duramax for $44,000. I also did the math of the duramax cost per mile/ features of the allison for towing/improved towing performance/ end of the year promos pricing/ and having bought a extended warranty by GM for 6 years. After all said and done, I felt warm and fuzzy that I decided on the diesel vs gas.
Was that price difference for exactly the same equipment? I built a diesel on the Chevy website just for fun a few days ago, and it was almost a $10K difference on there to add the DMax and Allison.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #100
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Last month there was over $10,000 rebates for end of model year trucks. I also didn't get top of the line. I just got a middle of the road truck.

elind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle