Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Yeah, that didn't seem right.... Until I went out the garage.

My Ram 1500: 1150 lbs payload
DW's Caravan: 1150 lbs payload

Don't let the DW know this. Otherwise she's gonna claim we can just pull the TT with her minivan and try to get me to give up my truck.
Go back out and take a look at the frame, suspension, brakes, wheels and tires and see if you can figure out why the are listed to carry the same load.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Go back out and take a look at the frame, suspension, brakes, wheels and tires and see if you can figure out why the are listed to carry the same load.
Lots of the Ram 1500s have coil springs in rear for some reason and that has no where near the load capabilities of leaf springs

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
Lots of the Ram 1500s have coil springs in rear for some reason and that has no where near the load capabilities of leaf springs

True. But my F150 has a listed payload about the same as my MILs Honda Odyssey. Basically what that says to me is that the stronger frame, bigger brakes, stronger wheels and tires, MUCH beefier suspension, more powerful drivetrain and so on is only capable of carrying it's own additional weight. Anyone have a compact 5 seater car you could get the payload number from???
Old 04-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #134
Site Team

Quote:
True. But my F150 has a listed payload about the same as my MILs Honda Odyssey. Basically what that says to me is that the stronger frame, bigger brakes, stronger wheels and tires, MUCH beefier suspension, more powerful drivetrain and so on is only capable of carrying it's own additional weight. Anyone have a compact 5 seater car you could get the payload number from???
A lot of that has to do with the total GCWR, not so much just payload. As others have said, a minivan needs a high payload in order to carry the weight of the extra passengers. But that doesn't mean the minivan's drivetrain, brakes, etc can also take the added stress of 8k lbs of trailer on it's tail.

When we had a Mazda MX-5 (pre kids) it's payload was only 300 lbs. I'm almost that by myself so if DW and I were both in the vehicle we were over. Add luggage for a weekend getaway and we were way over.

And to Dave, yes my Ram has the coils, but my BIL's ford doesn't have much more payload and he has the leafs. Probably only talking 100-150 lbs difference.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #135

The vans have the payload for people, but like was already said, the rest isn't up to par for much of and towing, since it has no frame like a truck and less of everything

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #136

Remember, one payload is not always equal to another payload. It's calculated at 150lbs for the driver, a full tank of fuel and standard equipment. That seven passenger van? 6X150=900 then a couple of hundred pounds of crap in the back or on the roof, 1,100 pounds.

But look at the distribution, nice and even. The brakes have a chance to control things more or less equally.

The truck? They know you're going to drop that payload in the bed. Drop that same load over the rear axle of the van and watch it squat.

Reality is, while the numbers may be the same, the loads are actually completely different regarding handling and control. Plus, my axle ratings combined are actually 2,484 pounds higher than my GVWR, if that doesn't tell you there's much more margin for error in load ratings than commonly known I don't know what does.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #137

My wife's 2012 Camry has a payload of 910.

My Ram 3500 has a payload of 4280.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Remember, one payload is not always equal to another payload. It's calculated at 150lbs for the driver, a full tank of fuel and standard equipment. That seven passenger van? 6X150=900 then a couple of hundred pounds of crap in the back or on the roof, 1,100 pounds.

But look at the distribution, nice and even. The brakes have a chance to control things more or less equally.

The truck? They know you're going to drop that payload in the bed. Drop that same load over the rear axle of the van and watch it squat.

Reality is, while the numbers may be the same, the loads are actually completely different regarding handling and control. Plus, my axle ratings combined are actually 2,484 pounds higher than my GVWR, if that doesn't tell you there's much more margin for error in load ratings than commonly known I don't know what does.
What if you have all the heavy people on one side of the minivan? I understand what you are attempting to say. The point is they really have no idea what you will load or how you will load it. I've seen small cars rolling through Walmart before with 2 VERY heavy people on one side with small people all on the other. Looked like it was about ready to roll while traveling straight on.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstover View Post
My wife's 2012 Camry has a payload of 910.

My Ram 3500 has a payload of 4280.

Your Camry has nearly as much payload as the top trim Dodge 1/2 ton crew cabs!!!!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #140

Quote:
What if you have all the heavy people on one side of the minivan? I understand what you are attempting to say. The point is they really have no idea what you will load or how you will load it. I've seen small cars rolling through Walmart before with 2 VERY heavy people on one side with small people all on the other. Looked like it was about ready to roll while traveling straight on.
All they can do is plan for typical usage. I've seen the vehicles tipped to their side, I've seen a minivan with the seats out and what must have been a ton on wood in the back.

But when they design it, the marketers say we need a van that seats seven. They plan it around average, anticipated use. They can't account for ignorance unfortunately.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle