Old 04-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #21
Nice looking setup there.
You are certainly going to get alot of answers, I'm sure, regardless of your loyalty statement. I'm not a loyalty type guy in that respect at all. I have an '08 Ford F350 SRW long bed 6.4 Diesel Crew Cab. I shopped around alot for all the big 3 diesel brands and was familiar with them all as I have camping friends with all configurations and models of them all. I went for the Ford simply because I loved it when I drove it and it fitted my needs exactly. The price was where I wanted to be and the search will eventually make your head spin anyway. I personally dont think there is a bad choice between the brands. I would take a Duramax or a Cummins any day. None of them are without their problems no matter which way you cut it. Again, I have no loyalty to any one. Remember, outside of the shell, as regards the diesels, the motors are not the same badge. Chevy/GMC is Isuzu, Dodge is Cummins, and pre 2011 the Fords were Navistar and others. Depends who you talk too. Some independent truck guys will tell you you cant beat the Cummins for a diesel. And then they will say but you cant beat the Allison tranny which is in the Duramax. Talk to 10 guys and you will likely get 6 or seven different answers. I'm not a mechanic but have been around enough trucks to make the decision for myself that its just that. A personal choice. My next one could be any of them and if it was another Ford it would be a different engine from what I have now anyway. Go drive them all and see what feels good. Do some homework as I'm sure you have, and make a decision on that and your feeling.
I get about 9-12 MPG pulling a 14000lb 5th wheel depending on speed and terrain. I'm stock as far as emmisions but have an S&B Cold Air Intake and a Hypertech Max Energy Tuner that gained me about 1.5 to 2 MPG while towing. Thats big with a 38 gallon tank. Big gain for little $$. My county has emmisions inspection on diesels but may still be able to delete the truck and still pass. (jury still out on that. if anyone has any input I'd appreciate it).
You will get good advice on this Forum for sure. Hope it helps you. good luck..

2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ
2008 Ford F350 Super Duty
6.4L Powerstroke Long Bed CC
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #22
Kinda surprised to see that kind of mileage.... should be around 12...I have have a 2012 ecoboost with the 355 towing around 8000 lbs and I get anywhere from 10 - 12 depending on the terrain.. I stay at about 60 mph

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forest River Forums mobile app

harpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #23
You went 68 mph the whole time????? You don't need more power!

9 mpg seems right.
Eric, Tara, and most of China
2013 Camping Nights: 2
2014 Camping nights: 31
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:34 AM   #24
Site Team
I get 10 mpg pulling 8500lb fifth wheel with half ton tundra, but on if I stay st 60mph or less. At 68-70 I'd get 7-8. Big difference from 60 and 70. Especially for a gasser.

Sent from David's RAZR M.
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Reese Revolution Pin, Reese 16K
2008 Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:14 AM   #25
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Diff issue's?

Sabre owners united!
oops, i meant DEF..

I talked to a fella in the camp grounds with a '12 GM Dually Duramax. He loves it, and it is whisper quiet! I thought it was a gasser when he came driving by, lol
Hubcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #26
Camper Less Camping
I think you are fine with the Ecoboost...just slow down to 60-62 and you'll be over 10mpgs with your current setup.

Compare your truck to some of the posters here who have the 5.7 V8 half tons...your 3.5L Ecoboost is much more efficient in the mpg category...just find the sweet spot in mph for the best gas mileage.

BUT...nothing beats the towing drivability & performance of a diesel HD truck....any of the major brands will serve you well!
Don't worry about the cost difference in fuel...that's peanuts...just like we don't nickel & dime when we're purchasing a $20/30/40K plus campers ,)
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #27
Just my 2 cents, but your fine with what you have as a TV. I don't see any need in going with a diesel right now on your first TV. I tow a 3200BHT tracer with a 1500 with ease, and I just bought a new '14 1500 with the max tow package. Yeah I looked at a diesel, but for the price of fuel and its my every day truck for back and forth to work, I couldn't justify the price for the truck and the price of fuel these days.

As for dodge or ford, stay with the ford, yeah the dodges are nice, but they're a boat load of problems, starting with the tranny. When I was in the Chevy dealer yesterday a guy with a '14 Dodge 3500 came in to trade it on on a '15 Chevy 3500 dually for more power.

As for your weight, you're probably more around #5500 - #5700 when all said and done
2013 Prime Time Tracer 3200BHT
2016 GMC Crew Cab Duramax All Terrain
Ribs in the smoker and Whiskey in hand
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
My wife and I just purchased a Grey Wolf 23BDH as our first TT. It is just us, so we didn't need anything big to start with. I have a 2013 FX4 F150 with the ecoboost and 3.55's. We towed it from North Alabama to Concord NC to the big NHRA race. I think the dry weight is about 4700 or so pounds(dry) and i say loaded it is 5000.
Forest River lists the Grey Wolf 23DBH (if that is the correct trailer) as having a unloaded weight of 5385 lbs. Options, propane, and a battery usually add about 400 lbs. to the mix, so figure 5800 lbs. without gear. Add at least another 1000 lbs. for gear, and I betcha your trailer travel weight is near 7000 lbs.....that is a ton more than the estimated 5000 lb. weight. The only way to find out for sure is to load up the family and head to some CAT scales. There are numerous threads on here on how to properly weigh your rig.

Well the truck done fine towing it, but it got 9 mpg's driving 68 mph the whole way.
9 mpg is not out of line driving that speed, with that much trailer and a huge wind block behind your truck. The aerodynamics probably cause more of a mileage drop then the weight. Betcha get worse mileage with about the same weight as your car trailer.

I am thinking i may need a diesel? 2500?
You may not need a diesel, but a 3/4 ton truck might be needed. Unless you have the maximum payload package on your F150 Ecoboost, you may be over the GVWR and the GCWR. A bunkhouse trailer indicates kids, and along with the missus, pets, camping gear can add up quickly. Then add another 800 lbs in trailer tongue weight, and that can put you over the GVWR, and even the GCWR.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #29
I have a 2013 F150 4x4 V8 5.0 with 355 rear.
I have not towed the trailer yet as I just got the truck at the end of last year and the trailer was already put away for the winter. However, here is what I have found with gas mileage just running with the truck.

The mileage stinks big time in the winter when it is really cold and you can feel the truck being sluggish to get moving down the road when it is so cold. I have already seen a huge improvement in mileage since it has gotten warmer.

Also, speed, even when not towing makes a HUGE difference. I find if I stick at no more than 110 Kms/hr then I don't use as much as even just jumping up to around 120 Kms/hr (speed limit on main hwy is 100 Kms/hr, but many do at least 120). So yes, try slowing down just a tad and see what happens.

2013 F150 v8 4x4 Supercab
2014 Surveyor 192T
rycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:14 AM   #30
Site Team
I don't know how accurate this is, but the BIL claims his F150 went from around 10 MPG towing to 17 MPG towing by installing a cold air intake. Now that sounds a little unrealistic to me to have such a huge difference, but hey, it's what he claims so it might be worth looking into.

There's no use crying over spilled milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is online now   Reply With Quote

tow vehicle