Old 04-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I don't know how accurate this is, but the BIL claims his F150 went from around 10 MPG towing to 17 MPG towing by installing a cold air intake. Now that sounds a little unrealistic to me to have such a huge difference, but hey, it's what he claims so it might be worth looking into.
Total BS. If mpg can be increased that much the manufactures would be putting them on and claiming 27 mpg hwy. I'd check your BIL's alcohol blood level. I'm sure he'd blow a 1.5 after saying that.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #32

Quote:
I don't know how accurate this is, but the BIL claims his F150 went from around 10 MPG towing to 17 MPG towing by installing a cold air intake. Now that sounds a little unrealistic to me to have such a huge difference, but hey, it's what he claims so it might be worth looking into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Total BS. If mpg can be increased that much the manufactures would be putting them on and claiming 27 mpg hwy. I'd check your BIL's alcohol blood level. I'm sure he'd blow a 1.5 after saying that.
Agreed, can't see that happening.

Funny part about most of those claims, they factor it in as replacing a dirty air filter. Just a fresh filter will do most of the work, there's gains to be had but not like that.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #33

To the OP FYI your trailers ST tires are only rated for 65mph. It's your TT and you life but having a blow out from driving too fast can cause a good amount of damage to you and your TT, along with anyone else caught in the carnage.

Slow down to 62-63 and you'll gain 1+mpg.

Buying a diesel with a $9000.00 surcharge will never pay off unless you tow the majority of the time. Your 3.5 will get better mpg unloaded than the diesel will. And your towing mpg will only increase by 2 mpg at the most.

If you tow 4000 miles year the difference between the diesel and the gasser is only $175.00 a year figuring .30 difference in fuel cost @2 mpg increase from the diesel.

$9000.00 for the diesel option would take 51 years to pay for it's self.

Only benefit is having a sturdier truck while towing.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post

Funny part about most of those claims, they factor it in as replacing a dirty air filter. Just a fresh filter will do most of the work, there's gains to be had but not like that.
Never could figure out why everyone gets their best mpg's on the internet.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post

Oh, I agree. I thought it was a little far fetched myself, but I was giving the OP another option to look into besides upgrading his TV.

PS. BIL doesn't drink, so I can't see him blowing a 1.5. However, I can see him wildly exaggerating his claims in order to justify this to the SIL.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #36

I breezed through this post so sorry if I am repeating anything
I can say a 2500 is worth the cost. They are built to pull.
A diesel can be useful for a larger rig but not for mileage. If you are trying to save money in the tank it will take a while to offset the higher purchase price of a diesel truck.

Speed is important. The faster a vehicle goes the greater the drag, the lower the mileage. It could be fun to do a long drive at constant speeds to check the affect.
Looking into devices to improve mileage never hurt.

Good luck either way you go.

2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
I breezed through this post so sorry if I am repeating anything
I can say a 2500 is worth the cost. They are built to pull.
A diesel can be useful for a larger rig but not for mileage. If you are trying to save money in the tank it will take a while to offset the higher purchase price of a diesel truck.

Speed is important. The faster a vehicle goes the greater the drag, the lower the mileage. It could be fun to do a long drive at constant speeds to check the affect.
Looking into devices to improve mileage never hurt.

Good luck either way you go.

Oh I can tell you, my old truck with the TT, 7MPG normal at 55, 5MPG me not happy and 65. Same route, same stuff, going the same direction.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #38

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that the tires on the TT are most likely rated for a maximum of 65 mph. Now, 68 mph is not much over that, but the extra heat generated will degrade the tires over a period of time. Besides, slowing down to about 63 mph could get you an additional mpg.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl View Post
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that the tires on the TT are most likely rated for a maximum of 65 mph. Now, 68 mph is not much over that, but the extra heat generated will degrade the tires over a period of time. Besides, slowing down to about 63 mph could get you an additional mpg.

Joel

Covered in post #13 & #33. Still, always good to remind people. I cringe when I see TT's being pulled by 1/2 tons on the interstates at 70-75 mph.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #40
Camper Less Camping

Quote:

Covered in post #13 & #33. Still, always good to remind people. I cringe when I see TT's being pulled by 1/2 tons on the interstates at 70-75 mph.
Actually any truck...Every trip there's the fifth wheel combo's blowing by at 75mph while I'm safely creeping at 62mph...seems more people than not have no patience towing this houses ,)

Tags
tow vehicle