Old 01-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
When that 2.7 is dragging a 7k trailer up a mountain it is putting out a significant amount of power. That's not free. It takes fuel to produce that power. You got significantly better mileage than a big V8 when unloaded(there are a few variations that would come close, such as the GM 5.3, but only with really high gears that are VERY poor for towing), yet can hook up a 7K trailer and tow it better than those same V8's and get similar fuel mileage when towing. Sounds like a win-win to me.
Not as good with the new 2016 F250 4x4 diesel at 18 locally but expect better towing ~ will know soon as leaving for FL Sunday with about 11500 - 12000# vs 7000#.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Not as good with the new 2016 F250 4x4 diesel at 18 locally but expect better towing ~ will know soon as leaving for FL Sunday with about 11500 - 12000# vs 7000#.
Diesel will always get better mpg when towing. There are more BTU's in a gallon of diesel.

BTW, I have a 2015 F250 6.7PSD FX4 and I get in the 10-11 range towing my ~9400 TT with the cruise on 65. This is in moderately flat terrain to rolling hills in calm conditions. I just did a trip over Christmas that included 4 stops over 9 days. I managed to catch 25+mph headwinds EVERY single time we moved! I didn't check and don't want to know what my mileage was for that run!

Old 01-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
(We are planning a couple of trips through Northern Ontario, which has some long steep grades, and we will be going across Canada out to B.C., so crossing the Rockies. We want to make sure we have something that would have enough power to get over the mountains and something that will stop us on the other side. )

You said steep grades and mountains.
There is only one truck that can handle this and it's a RAM !Attachment 97436
This is the only true mountain towing steep grade stoping truck you will ever need.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Seriously?

I have lived almost my entire life in the mountains of western/central PA and for the last 30+ years have towed construction equipment, campers, and boats all over the damn place. Not the Rockies by a longshot but not New Jersey either. Nothing is flat around here. I have never owned a diesel and have never owned a Dodge or a Ram. I find it hard to believe I survived.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Seriously?

I have lived almost my entire life in the mountains of western/central PA and for the last 30+ years have towed construction equipment, campers, and boats all over the damn place. Not the Rockies by a longshot but not New Jersey either. Nothing is flat around here. I have never owned a diesel and have never owned a Dodge or a Ram. I find it hard to believe I survived.

Me to

Old 01-08-2016, 06:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
He's made it clear he doesn't want a diesel (And doesn't even come remotely close to needing one for the trailer in question). And when you make blind brand loyal statements like this it causes you to lose all credibility and people tend to disregard your advice.

That make two of us ! 😭

So recommending F150s is ok ????

But when someone recommends a real truck the site police come out.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:04 PM   #26

These kinds of threads are on one hand you have the RV dealerships telling people that you can tow these campers "with almost anything" including cars. And then you have people on here that are advocating that one must have a diesel engine and a 3500. Talk about two extremes!

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:31 PM   #27

As far as the f150 echo boost goes I have friends who own them and fuel mileage is not much better than the 5 litre v8 and I would choose the more reliable v8 engine, also am a Ford fan but not the smaller engine.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Mark And Libby
2011 F-350 4X4 Super Crew
2015 Cedar Creek 38FB2
Brampton ON.
Rest and Relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:12 PM   #28

IMHO, most any PU truck will do for your specific needs as long as you have a tow package. Diesel would be overkill. An exhaust brake is really handy for the steep downhill grades, but that's a diesel goodie and $5,000 to $8,500 more.
Plan on loading the bed of a truck with "can't do without" stuff. It WILL happen.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rest and Relax View Post
As far as the f150 echo boost goes I have friends who own them and fuel mileage is not much better than the 5 litre v8 and I would choose the more reliable v8 engine, also am a Ford fan but not the smaller engine.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
What is your source that shows a 5.slow is "more reliable" than the 3.5 Ecoboost? IIRC correctly, they both first showed up in a truck in the 2011 F150 so they both have the same longevity, thus far.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:58 AM   #30

Thanks for all of the replies, they are greatly appreciated. When I first posted I was worried that I was going to open a big can of worms but it hasn't been as bad as I thought.
I have been looking at the F150's and they are really nice trucks, and I do like the look of the Rams. I think I will have to do up a comparison sheet and go from there. Based on some of the comments it looks like V8 is better than V6 for the higher altitude unless it is the eco boost or turbo, but the V6 is better overall mileage.
When it comes to wheel base, I have read elsewhere that longer is better, but is that more for longer trailers? I guess the extra space in the cab/bed couldn't hurt.

Cheers!

Tags
tow vehicle