Old 01-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
That make two of us ! 😭

So recommending F150s is ok ????

But when someone recommends a real truck the site police come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Not the site police, maybe the common sense police however

Would the Ram Diesel you recommend, that the OP needs for that 3500lb GVW rated 7'-6" wide trailer with the massive 300lbs of hitch weight, need to be a 3/4 or 1 ton, and a SRW or DRW?

Anyhow thanks for the laugh.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Not the site police, maybe the common sense police however

Would the Ram Diesel you recommend, that the OP needs for that 3500lb GVW rated 7'-6" wide trailer with the massive 300lbs of hitch weight, need to be a 3/4 or 1 ton, and a SRW or DRW?

Anyhow thanks for the laugh.

What's the smaller truck you can get with a exhaust brake ?
I hope we all agree that this is the safest way to slow down a TV towing without burning up the electric brakes on steep declines.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #33

Quote:
I hope we all agree that this is the safest way to slow down a TV towing without burning up the electric brakes on steep declines.

Considering NONE of them had an exhaust brake until the past few years, even those towing really heavy, I'd say the OP will be just fine without an exhaust brake for a 3500 pound trailer.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #34

As stated friends own them and towing they are harder on gas and they say they would be more likely to get a 5 liter in the future that is my dole source as my trailer weighs in at 14000 I don't have much use for a 1/2 ton .

Mark And Libby
2011 F-350 4X4 Super Crew
2015 Cedar Creek 38FB2
Brampton ON.
Rest and Relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #35

Quote:
Come on Ok its the safest way.

I have never had a pickup with an exhaust brake, and I have yet to burn up brakes no matter what I have been towing. You don't need an exhaust brake to descend a grade without toasting the brakes. You just need to know how to drive, use the transmission, and not be a moron. Most of the exhaust brakes I see are used by idiots on the PA turnpike who come running up beside you and throw them making a s$%tload of noise, as some kind of a "I'm a manly man" statement.

Probably 99% of the vehicles on the road towing RV's and other trailers no matter what the size, don't have exhaust brakes. I would like to have one, but wanting or liking to have one, and needing to have one, are two different things.

I would agree the exhaust brake came in handy the few times I drove a tri axle from the quarry with about 23 tons of limestone on it, but traveling the same roads and grades with the camper I have never needed one. I don't think the OP would need one either with a 3500lb camper.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #36

I had the 2015 F150 2.7 EB and locally saw 22 MPG often. Towing it dropped to 9.3 with 7000# from the beach to the mountains of NC. A few times 23 MPG showed up and never under 18 when my foot was in it. With the new 5er I have the 6.7 and will see what it does towing about 12000#. It will be great for the OPs current needs.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #37

We have a similar size camper, towing with a basically stock 97 Chevy ext cab 5.7 v8. tows just fine.
Rolling hills of the upstate 12-14MPG, heading into the Blue Ridge 10-11 MPG. average daily driving 18-20mpg.
Have been researching a replacement for a while, will be getting 2001-2006 GM ext-cab 5.3 with 3.73 gears.
BUT>>>>>
What ever you get make sure it has the FACTORY installed tow package.
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rest and Relax View Post
As far as the f150 echo boost goes I have friends who own them and fuel mileage is not much better than the 5 litre v8 and I would choose the more reliable v8 engine, also am a Ford fan but not the smaller engine.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

You are speaking of the 3.5 Ecoboost. I think the problem is in the way Ford marketed it. They claimed V6 mileage with V8 power. It's actually more like small block V8 mileage with big block V8 power(at 2000 fewer RPM to boot). So, while mileage is very similar to the 5.0, towing performance is in a whole different league. I towed my ~9400lb TT thousands of miles at 65 in 5th gear at 2k rpm, downshifting to 4th to pull moderate grades at ~2750 rpm. A 5.0 would have been kicking and screaming to move that load, constantly revving and dropping gears. It would not have been a pleasant experience. BUT- you are missing the fact that we are recommending the 2.7 Ecoboost. It does get a nice jump in mileage- one PO reported 22-23 everyday driving many posts back- but you can hook it to a TT and tow with ease and comfort. Once again, it's a win-win for those looking for everyday mileage AND towing performance. A naturally aspirated truck WILL be a trade off in those two areas. You get a bigger V8 with lower gears for towing performance but less mileage or you opt for a smaller V8 with higher gears for increased economy yet anemic towing performance. Many people are comfortable going this route and feel the trade off for a less complicated engine setup is worth it, and that's cool. You'll see that early on I threw out several V8 options as viable for the OP. Just stating that MY personal preference would be the 2.7EB.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetavon View Post
BUT>>>>>
What ever you get make sure it has the FACTORY installed tow package.

Definitely.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:07 AM   #40

Your thinking about a ford ecoboost. I think your right on the money. So many people on the site love them and pull big loads. 3.5 or 2.7 . towing in the mountains I would go with the larger. But either sound like they would work. My boss has 3.5 and loves it !!

Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle