Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
You don't have to convince me.
I have a 1ton, 2 ton and i had a class 8, i sold it when i was done heavy trucking otr, but will get another as soon as i need it.
The thing is I'll never try to convince someone to get the smaller truck that is in their proposed lineup.

Im out !
So if someone comes on here wanting to tow a pop up and wants to know if he should get an F350 dually or an F150 you're going to tell him to get the dually???? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that viewpoint. I know that this is an extreme example, but you said "never". On a serious note, though, if the OP had say 2 kids and didn't load more than say 1K into the trailer, I think he'd be much better served with the F150, especially is he needs it as a daily driver. We now know that's not the case, he hauls a lot of people and a lot of stuff, so I've conceded that the SD would be the wiser choice.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:12 AM   #22
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
So if someone comes on here wanting to tow a pop up and wants to know if he should get an F350 dually or an F150 you're going to tell him to get the dually???? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that viewpoint. I know that this is an extreme example, but you said "never". On a serious note, though, if the OP had say 2 kids and didn't load more than say 1K into the trailer, I think he'd be much better served with the F150, especially is he needs it as a daily driver. We now know that's not the case, he hauls a lot of people and a lot of stuff, so I've conceded that the SD would be the wiser choice.
Thumbs up!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #23
Canadian Contingent

So what's the big deal with having a diesel as a daily driver???

I just sold my 2013 F150 Platinum 4x4 Ecoboost because it wasn't enough truck for my situation.
I have no issue with my Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 being my daily driver other than the suspension is stiffer than my F150.
I actually get better fuel mileage in my Ram 3500!

Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post

I just sold my 2013 F150 Platinum 4x4 Ecoboost because it wasn't enough truck for my situation.
I have no issue with my Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 being my daily driver other than the suspension is stiffer than my F150.

X2.

I daily my 3500.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 01-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #25

Quote:
But if he took the advice in your first couple posts he would be driving a F150 EB. My point is you have to know more about what the person going to do and what he plans to carry in the truck. If you towing a 7,000 TT and has ATV in the back truck with four two pound passengers, weeks worth of fire wood and tank of fresh water most F150 would not handle that. This if less than 10,000 RV the F150 is the answer is not always the case!
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post

The problem with the new diesels is they don't like short trips that don't allow the engine to reach full operating temp. My daily commute involves 6 trips ranging from 3 to 5 miles- not an ideal situation at ALL for a new diesel. So, I take steps to mitigate issues such as taking unnecessary runs on occasion, changing the oil regularly, swapping with the wife when she needs to make a longer drive, etc. Even considering keeping an older Expedition we have that I really need to sell just to keep the short trips off of the PSD.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
But if he took the advice in your first couple posts he would be driving a F150 EB. My point is you have to know more about what the person going to do and what he plans to carry in the truck. If you towing a 7,000 TT and have ATV in the back truck with four two pound passengers, weeks worth of fire wood and tank of fresh water most F150 would not handle that. This if less than 10,000 RV the F150 is the answer is not always the case!
I agree on everything except the "four 2 pound passenger ". Got trigger happy.

Edit: In my defense, however, he was using a van, so I assumed he wouldn't be hauling loads of firewood or an ATV. And if he's considering a CC PU he wouldn't be hauling more than 6 people, most likely 4 children. And it's very common to only load 1K into a trailer, making his towed load ~7600. Under these circumstances, I still contend the F150 would work well. You are correct, though, that I did make several assumptions.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:01 PM   #28

Quote:
On a serious note, though, if the OP had say 2 kids and didn't load more than say 1K into the trailer, I think he'd be much better served with the F150, especially is he needs it as a daily driver.
I have 2 kids. 6 and 3. Once we load everything and are ready to camp my truck is 700lbs over sticker empty weight. Car seats, blankets, stuffed animals, drinks and snacks, activity books, and just misc parenting supplies add up fast.

We have bin with toys, balls, frisbees, coloring books, games, etc... in the camper.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Face it , the Ecoboost failed with your set up and you needed to get a bigger truck. No embarrassment there, we all screw up with this stuff from time to time. But we Learn from our mistakes.
You should have reached out to this forum before buying the Ecoboost!
😝

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
So, when I ditched the first 6.7PSD it had failed me, too, I suppose. If you'll take the time to read you'll see that my "setup" changed, so my TV did as well.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:46 PM   #30
Site Team

This thread has gotten way off OP topic and is becoming personal. He was looking for a few suggestions on TV decisions. There are many opinions and no one is always right. Please keep the discussion on topic and friendly.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #31

To finish as the OP I ended up buying a 2013 f150 with the max tow package 6 1/2 foot bed Crew cab with 24000 miles on it. Picking it up today
campfirefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #32

Sorry forgot to add it's the echoboost with 3.73 gear ratio
campfirefun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle