Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #1

Tow Vehicle Tire Pressures

I just put new tires on my 2008 3/4 ton and have always run 70 psi in the rear tires based on the sticker inside the door frame of the truck. But I got to thinking about the maximum pressure on the tires, which is 80 psi. What should I be running - the maximum on the tires to get maximum weight carrying capability, or 70 psi as it is stamped in the door frame? What do you do?
Old 01-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #2

The sticker on the truck door frame may (or may not) suggest the pressure needed for the maximum axle weight rating.

Based on experience in the motorhome world, where I set tire pressures based on actual loads, I’d think you could do the same on the truck. Weigh the rear axle, or the individual wheels, if possible, with the truck fully loaded and hitched for towing. Then consult the tire manufacture’s chart for your tire size’s load limits at given pressures. Theses charts can be found on-line, either on specific tire brand web sites, or generic based on standard LT tire sizes. Set your tire pressures according to the load they are actually carrying, based on the chart.

This would be better than just guessing.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #3

Higher pressures make stiffer sidewalls which makes for more stability.
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
The sticker on the truck door frame may (or may not) suggest the pressure needed for the maximum axle weight rating.

Based on experience in the motorhome world, where I set tire pressures based on actual loads, I’d think you could do the same on the truck. Weigh the rear axle, or the individual wheels, if possible, with the truck fully loaded and hitched for towing. Then consult the tire manufacture’s chart for your tire size’s load limits at given pressures. Theses charts can be found on-line, either on specific tire brand web sites, or generic based on standard LT tire sizes. Set your tire pressures according to the load they are actually carrying, based on the chart.

This would be better than just guessing.
2X...exactly!
Old 01-26-2020, 02:55 PM   #5
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
I asked the Michelin folks the same question and they said:
Michelin Tire Pressures
For daily driving with tire size LT275/65R20 tires on your Tundra, we recommend 40 psi front and 45 psi rear. Pressures should be checked when the tires are cold.

Additional psi would be calculated depending on the amount of tongue weight added to the vehicle when towing the trailer. The rear axle would need to be weighed without the trailer attached and with the trailer attached then adjust the psi accordingly. Following is the load/psi chart for tire size LT275/65R20 LRE:

2080 lbs @ 35 psi
2280 lbs @ 40 psi
2475 lbs @ 45 psi
2680 lbs @ 50 psi
2850 lbs @ 55 psi
3030 lbs @ 60 psi
3195 lbs @ 65 psi
3375 lbs @ 70 psi
3540 lbs @ 75 psi
3750 lbs @ 80 psi

Also, if you upgrade to a higher load range, don't forget to change the valve stems to reflect the higher pressures.
2018 F-150 4X4 Max tow EcoBoost 3.5
2020 Tesla Model Y
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clange View Post
I just put new tires on my 2008 3/4 ton and have always run 70 psi in the rear tires based on the sticker inside the door frame of the truck. But I got to thinking about the maximum pressure on the tires, which is 80 psi. What should I be running - the maximum on the tires to get maximum weight carrying capability, or 70 psi as it is stamped in the door frame? What do you do?
When towing, I have always increased my trucks tire pressure above what is stamped on the cab door frame. Be mindful and do not exceed actual cold tire pressure as stamped on tires.

I was told by dealership, to obtain maximum load weight on my travel trailer, fill trailer tires to maximum cold tire pressure as stamped on tires and do not exceed. I apply this same principal to my truck tires.

You be the judge. Am I right or wrong? It has always worked for me without an problem.
Maybe more experience individuals can give you a better answer.

Good Luck
Happy & Safe Travels
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:26 PM   #7

I have always kept tires inflated to max pressure when towing, more stable.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #8

Run the max. Too low and you risk tire failure. The only risk in running max is a rougher
ride
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #9
Retired Old Fart

Sticker inside the door frame is for the tires the factory shipped the truck with. If you have changed tires, odds are 99.9% that the maximum load and air pressure ratings for your current tires are different. Go with what is on the sidewall of your tire for the max. Anything less will de-rate the load rating of that tire as Trawlerphil described above (although that chart is for a specific tire, you can usually find de-rating info on the tire makers websites if you have a different tow vehicle tire).
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:10 PM   #10

Tire Pressures...

For what it's worth...I used to build truck / bus radial tires for Bridgestone / Firestone until retirement 4 years ago. Tow vehicle tires, original equipment, should be inflated to recommended pressures given by the vehicle manufacturer. This affords the best possible ride and greatest m.p.g. for that particular vehicle. This applies to when the vehicle is NOT towing or carrying any additional payload in the bed. The tire maximum p.s.i. as "cured" onto the sidewall is the maximum amount of pressure that you can / should use when towing a heavy weight such as a travel trailer or when you are carrying a heavy load in the bed. This stiffens the sidewall and promotes a safer, albeit stiffer, ride in the vehicle. I run my Ford F-250 Super Duty at 65 p.s.i., front and rear, according to manufacturer guidelines. When I tow my 35 ft. travel trailer, I increase pressure in the rear tires of the tow vehicle to the "max inflate" pressure of 80 p.s.i. It helps in towing safely, and increased tire life. Hope this helps some. Happy camping!!
Tirebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:34 PM   #11

Assuming that you always install the exact same make & size tire that your vehicle came from the factory with, then you can go by the sticker. But if you install a larger or smaller tire, then the sticker on the truck does not apply. To be on the safe side, why don't you inflate your tires to the pressure printed on the tire itself and forget the sticker pressure.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerphil View Post
Michelin Tire Pressures
For daily driving with tire size LT275/65R20 tires on your Tundra, we recommend 40 psi front and 45 psi rear. Pressures should be checked when the tires are cold.

Additional psi would be calculated depending on the amount of tongue weight added to the vehicle when towing the trailer. The rear axle would need to be weighed without the trailer attached and with the trailer attached then adjust the psi accordingly. Following is the load/psi chart for tire size LT275/65R20 LRE:

2080 lbs @ 35 psi
2280 lbs @ 40 psi
2475 lbs @ 45 psi
2680 lbs @ 50 psi
2850 lbs @ 55 psi
3030 lbs @ 60 psi
3195 lbs @ 65 psi
3375 lbs @ 70 psi
3540 lbs @ 75 psi
3750 lbs @ 80 psi

Also, if you upgrade to a higher load range, don't forget to change the valve stems to reflect the higher pressures.
We vary the PSI based on the load. When we tow our 5er we increse the pressure to 75.

When we are not towing we drop it to 55. If we left it at 75 when unloaded the tires would be grossly over inflated and would quickly wear out in the center of each tire as a result.

You can use the "Chalk Test" to determine what the PSI should be for both conditions. This link gives a good explanation and visuals of why this is so:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/t...tml#post157798

Here is the link to tell you how to do it:

https://www.jeepfan.com/tech/checkin...rect-pressure/
Old 01-26-2020, 10:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clange View Post
Theoretically, the tire manufacturer should have a chart for your exact tire depending on axle weight.

First and foremost load up hook up and get weight for trailer truck each axle and if you need to to get your tongue weight weigh the truck again without the trailer just drop it on the way around the parking lot to get back on the scale.

In the real world I know that I'm within 3 or 400 lb of axle gross rating on the truck when I am fully loaded with everything I like to carry. At that point I just run him at 79 or 80 cold in the morning and watch my tire pressure monitors carefully all day.

When I don't carry my hot air balloon in the truck I know I have 1000 pound margin below the maximum axle load rating but I still tend to run the very close to 80 when I'm hauling. Front so let's get past it about 75. it's the St special trailer tires that is a good rule of thumb should always be run at maximum cold rated pressure. I checked those everyday during our travel first thing in the morning.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:08 AM   #14

Michelin provides inflation tables for their tires. Unfortunately, BF Goodrich, owned by Michelin, does not. If anybody has specific information about BFG A/T KO2s on an F150, I'd love to see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerphil View Post
Michelin Tire Pressures

2080 lbs @ 35 psi
2280 lbs @ 40 psi
2475 lbs @ 45 psi
2680 lbs @ 50 psi
2850 lbs @ 55 psi
3030 lbs @ 60 psi
3195 lbs @ 65 psi
3375 lbs @ 70 psi
3540 lbs @ 75 psi
3750 lbs @ 80 psi

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:08 AM   #15

Maximum Cold pressure ?

I took a little road trip this summer and I wanted to make sure everything was right so I put my air pressure to the cold maximum pressure and I had 4 tire blowouts at 4 different times. I personally will not do that again. My Fifth wheel was only a year and a half old so I had pretty new tires. (Goodyear endurance) I only got an hour away from my house when I had my first one and every 2 hours after that.
TGO Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGO Bill View Post
I took a little road trip this summer and I wanted to make sure everything was right so I put my air pressure to the cold maximum pressure and I had 4 tire blowouts at 4 different times. I personally will not do that again. My Fifth wheel was only a year and a half old so I had pretty new tires. (Goodyear endurance) I only got an hour away from my house when I had my first one and every 2 hours after that.
Any chance they were overloaded? What did you do differently after your tire failures?
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #17

Lowered the pressure

I don't think I was overloaded. I was carrying 1/3 fresh water for toilet usage. all other tanks were empty. I knew I would be traveling so I was weight conscience. I didn't weigh it but I'm pretty sure I wasn't over weight. After the blow outs, I lowered the pressure from 80 LBS ( suggested cold pressure) down to 75 LBS. I've been towing a camper since 1996 and never had problems like this but I always kept the pressure about 5 LBS under the suggested cold air max. I just decided for this trip to put them up to the suggested cold pressure max. Big mistake. Did a lot of damage to the camper and wiring. The one flat I didn't see in time and drove on it for a short bit and it ruined the aluminum alloy rim. I have $1000.00 deductible and it is considered four different claims so I am opting to fix it myself. Live and Learn
Old 01-27-2020, 10:18 AM   #18
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGO Bill View Post
I don't think I was overloaded. I was carrying 1/3 fresh water for toilet usage. all other tanks were empty. I knew I would be traveling so I was weight conscience. I didn't weigh it but I'm pretty sure I wasn't over weight. After the blow outs, I lowered the pressure from 80 LBS ( suggested cold pressure) down to 75 LBS. I've been towing a camper since 1996 and never had problems like this but I always kept the pressure about 5 LBS under the suggested cold air max. I just decided for this trip to put them up to the suggested cold pressure max. Big mistake. Did a lot of damage to the camper and wiring. The one flat I didn't see in time and drove on it for a short bit and it ruined the aluminum alloy rim. I have $1000.00 deductible and it is considered four different claims so I am opting to fix it myself. Live and Learn
Any chance your pressure gauge is unreliable at 80 lbs.? I have 4 gauges and they all read differently.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Michelin provides inflation tables for their tires. Unfortunately, BF Goodrich, owned by Michelin, does not. If anybody has specific information about BFG A/T KO2s on an F150, I'd love to see it.
It would look almost identical - if not identical.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #20

Possibly

I suppose the gauge could be off a little but I think the 5 LBS under inflation should cure that. I will check the gauge with others. At this point is a little too late to worry about that with this instance but I just wanted to share my experience with others that it might help.

Tags
pressure, tire, tow vehicle