Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #1

Tow Vehicle Tires

I have a Surveyor 30 ft TT (sv302) that I tow with a 2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 (double cab) 4x4 with factory tow package (has the smaller v8 4.7 L)

Many of you say that it's too small of a truck but it does a fine job for the way we use it. (Plus it's paid for!)

Anyway, it's time for new tires. Current size is 255/70r18

I'm looking at Nitto Dura grabber because I like their load rating. Also considering Nexan Roadian HT because of the better price. I'm shopping Walmart right now because I like their lifetime balance/road hazard plan.

Q1 - Any experience or recomendations as to these tires?
Q2 - Should I stick to the original size?

Thanks for any help.
rlray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

A tire with higher load rating (D or E) will give a more 'solid' feel when towing. Do not increase the tire diameter has it effectively changes the rear end ratio and towing performance will suffer.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
A tire with higher load rating (D or E) will give a more 'solid' feel when towing. Do not increase the tire diameter has it effectively changes the rear end ratio and towing performance will suffer.

Dave
X2!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

I have ran nitto durra grapplers before.
-Decent tire for the price, they treads start to cup at an angle when they are getting lower on tread( at least on straight axle F250, but most tires seem to do that on solid ft axles from what I've seen).
-I curently have nitto trail grapplers 10ply, on my Duramax.
- nittos seem to have good load rating(my current trail grapplers are rated at 4080lb cold-single). They are heavy though- because of stiffer sidewalls for increased load.
-Nittos seem to be a good value to me, and have a good size range available.
I got mine at Discount Tire.

You can get a different numaricaly size and still be right about the same size as curently used. Like dave said I would not go any larger in diameter, if you drop a size or two, you will increase your torque a bit.
-fyi-a heavier tire may rob some power from you engine and also change braking performance a bit.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #5

I put on LT MX2 (michelin) E range on my Tundra earlier this year. So far happy with them when towing and not towing
Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #6

My situation my not be a critical as you guys who tow 5th wheels in that I have 1/2 ton PU & bumper pull 30 footer. ??

Also, we don't go all that far as we are in an area several with beautiful lakes close by!

Last year we spent 48 nights camping on not more than 6 trips so the stiffer tires might be a nusance for regular driving.

Any thoughts along that line?

The Michelin LTX A/S that were new on the truck when we got it (used) have only gone 20k miles and are about gone. They preformed ok for towing but seemed a bit 'squishy' at times. (40 lbs air)

Thanks
Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #7

I know from personal experience I had to change my tires on my dually last spring and went from "D" to "E" load rating and it made a world of difference. Yes I am pulling a heavier unit but the same applies to your question. Considering that this is your only connection from your unit/truck to the road don't save money on your tires. Buy what you can afford but don't cheap out, you will wish you hadn't later. Flat repair and roadside warranties are all great but at the end of the day you still have cheap tires.

Your local tire shop should be able to show you what is good better and best for tires and give them all your information as to what your towing, weight etc...

Hope this helps and good luck..!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlray42 View Post
The Michelin LTX A/S that were new on the truck when we got it (used) have only gone 20k miles and are about gone. They preformed ok for towing but seemed a bit 'squishy' at times. (40 lbs air)
The tires feel like that because they're P Metric passenger tires. Going to D or E rated and about 60 - 65 psi air pressure will solve that issue. Your OEM rims won't be rated high enough to air tires up to 80 psi most likely.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by leencharlotte View Post
I put on LT MX2 (michelin) E range on my Tundra earlier this year. So far happy with them when towing and not towing
Double check your wheels to make sure they are rated for E tires before you put them on a "1/2" ton. I had a dealer refuse to put E's on my last F150; they said it wasn't safe. And E's may have more capacity than your truck has payload. I guess you could always run them at 50 or 60 pounds instead of 80.

That being said, I have C rated tires on my new F150; and I think they do add stability when towing and also lessen any bouncing. IMO they also provide for better handling when empty. I notice that there is absolutely no wear on the outside edges of the front tires whereas I did have this with my P tires. Had to rotate religiously. Now is still rotate my tires but I don't see any shoulder wear.

The downside to C's or E's is, of course, ride. They do pound a little harder.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlray42 View Post
My situation my not be a critical as you guys who tow 5th wheels in that I have 1/2 ton PU & bumper pull 30 footer. ??

Also, we don't go all that far as we are in an area several with beautiful lakes close by!

Last year we spent 48 nights camping on not more than 6 trips so the stiffer tires might be a nusance for regular driving.

Any thoughts along that line?

Thanks
I have a bumper pull myself and when not towing i use a lower air pressure and have not really noticed a difference. My original BF's wore out with 22-23k as well. The m/s2 are LT and rated for 70k
Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by leencharlotte View Post
I have a bumper pull myself and when not towing i use a lower air pressure and have not really noticed a difference. My original BF's wore out with 22-23k as well. The m/s2 are LT and rated for 70k
My tire size is 255/70R18 - When browsing I don't see a rating id as 'D' or 'E', rather a number like 112, 114 or 124 -- I may need to go with 265/70R18 ?

Then there's the issue of my wheels being able to handle the higher pressure. Are your wheels similar to mine?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4642.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	22669  
Old 01-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #12

The 112,114 & 124 is the load index of the tire at max pressure. A 114 tire is 2601 lbs and a 124 tire is 3261 lbs per tire at max pressure.

I also see a alternate size possibilty of 275/65r18 for your truck and I'm asking tire rack to see if the outside diameter is the same.

IMHO Kuhmo and Hankook are good tires for the money. We are starting to see quality issues with Michelin as they get about halfway thru their life then you have to jump thru hoops to get Michelin to help.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #13

I have sr-5 aluminum wheel like your and tire place told me they were good to go Having said that i run 35-40 empty and 50 towing, i dont need all 85psi. That would probably be a rough ride

If you searching by vehicle LT wont come up due to door jamb saying "P". Try to search by size. My tires are 275/65r18, i am not sure if they carry the lt in your size
Old 01-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #14

Tire rack confirmed that they are same outside diameter so hopefully that opens up some additional options.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #15

I'm kind of liking the Kumho Road Venture AT Tire P265/70R18.
(Son-in-law is a big Kumho fan.)
or
Hankook DynaPro ATm Tire P265/70R18
or
Nitto Terra Grappler Tire P265/70R18
or
BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A Tire P265/70R18

Until I upped the size to a P265 some of these were not an option.
As I see it the 265 is but a bit wider than my 255...

All of the above have the load index of 114 which is better than my OEM tires. ( I think I see that I have not been running enough air in my old ones. )

This has been a good learning experience for me -- THANK You to all for help/advice!!!

Happy Camping!!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #16

PS - Come on down to Lake Ouachita (wash-it-ta) in Arkansas for a beautiful view!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #17

If your driving any truck in my opinion you should not have a "P" tire you should at least have an "LT". To all my friends in the U.S. are there not state laws about your vehicle should have with regards to gvw on the truck and what your pulling..?

I know up here if DOT catches you the fines are large..!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #18
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff View Post
If your driving any truck in my opinion you should not have a "P" tire you should at least have an "LT". To all my friends in the U.S. are there not state laws about your vehicle should have with regards to gvw on the truck and what your pulling..?

I know up here if DOT catches you the fines are large..!
I agree with the lts.
I havnt heard about the dot gvw enforcement around here, I think they need to and on trailer gvrw, and lights, proper load restraint and the list goes on and on. You see a lot of junk on the road sometimes.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #19

OK Question.....If one or all of the US truck manufactures recomand towing with "P" rated tires based on the equipment that is on the truck that is built by them would you disagree with there design and engineering?....I do have a reason for asking this question and that is as follows:

I have a 2008 Chevy Heavy Duty 1/2 ton pick-up, it is called the "Vortec Max". This truck came from the factory with a 6.0 V8 gas engine, 4:10 rear, heavy duty 4 speed trasmission, factory brake controller, heavy duty tow package. The brakes on the truck are the same brakes that are on the 2500 HD pick-ups, NOW here is the kicker, the tires on the truck are "P" rated tires from the factory, the truck is rated to tow 10,500 lbs, now before I sign on the dotted line i had the service department call GM and question everything about the way it was equiped and it's weight rating and it was comfrimed that the tire where in fact the correct tires for the design and engineering of this truck.

Now I have towed a 34 foot FR 8314ss and have had no problems with the tires or handling with this truck, and just this past week I bought a new 31 foot 5th wheel and tow the 5th wheel from "State College" to Hanover PA with this same truck and the same equipment and had no problem with the way it handled. I increase the tire pressure to 44 psi before picking up the camper.......But I will tell you this I do agree BUY TRUCK TIRES FOR A TRUCK IF YOU ARE GOING TO TOW, I am checking into "E" rated tires for my truck, I look at it as a safety net with me towing I have all of you in mine while towing I need to look out for your safety as well......
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #20

If you look on the side wall of the tire it will say what it is rated for weight wise IE: how many pounds it is rated for. This is where the math kicks in, the weight on the tires is the weight of the truck and anything you are putting in the box regardless if it is a camper or 5th wheel pin. "P" tires are Passenger tires, "LT" stands for Light Truck. BTW increasing your pressure does nothing for load rating or what you can haul.

Your truck may be rated to "TOW" 10,500 but what is the load rating on the tire? What is the weight of the trailer on the hitch? Factor in fuel, water, food, passengers and anything else, weight of the truck, weight of the trailer and remember there is a difference between wet and dry weight.

Does it exceed your tire load rating?

The last question is a personal one, if put in an emergency situation of braking or having to turn what tire would you like under your truck??

Buy what you like but I make sure I always lean to the side of safety and something that someone said to me was that the only thing between you and the road is that little section of rubber those few square inches that contact the road.

I like your choice to upgrade to "E" tires..!!