Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_J View Post
Yes I'd like to get Bilsteins. Not to many shops here carry them. They are mainly Monroe pro, but figure I'll try to get the shop that does my tires to put them on at the same time even if I have to order them in myself.

I get bad sway at times and going to change the WDH out one that has sway control.

I've noticed the squirmy feeling even at 45 mph. It's hard to describe it's one of those feelings you get in the seat of your pants. Even though the truck is locked down to the road it feels like the back of it is on black ice at times, but not all the time. I raise the pressure on the current P-metric tires to 40 - 42 psi when hauling.

The tires are due to be changed out anyway, so now is the ideal time to get something with a heavier sidewall.
I put 50# in my P tires and it was still squishy. I can pretty much assure you that until you put LR E tires on, you can change all the shocks you want with whatever brand you want and it will still be squishy. The P tires are designed for a soft ride and have much weaker sidewalls. You could replace the shocks with solid steel tubes and the truck will still be squishy.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I put 50# in my P tires and it was still squishy. I can pretty much assure you that until you put LR E tires on, you can change all the shocks you want with whatever brand you want and it will still be squishy. The P tires are designed for a soft ride and have much weaker sidewalls. You could replace the shocks with solid steel tubes and the truck will still be squishy.
Yup I agree OC.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #23

I have Nitto Terra Grappler tires LT275/65R20/E on my F250 and love them. Got app 70,000 km on them and no issue. Ride is comfortable, very low noise, excellent in mud/snow and no sway from them. They are not cheap, but that is what keeps you on the road and mine are made in the good old USA.

Nitto Tire - Fueled by Enthusiasts
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
I have Nitto Terra Grappler tires LT275/65R20/E on my F250 and love them. Got app 70,000 km on them and no issue. Ride is comfortable, very low noise, excellent in mud/snow and no sway from them. They are not cheap, but that is what keeps you on the road and mine are made in the good old USA.

Nitto Tire - Fueled by Enthusiasts
The Nitto Grapplers are about the only tire I can get here for 20" wheels. They are E rated and will be what I probably will be going with.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:08 AM   #25

I don't need tires yet but I've been looking so I'm ready. I was going to go with either:

Hankook Ventus AS RH07
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....lar=Crew%20Cab

Or

Continental CrossContact LX20
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....lar=Crew%20Cab

The Hankooks have a heavier load rating. But those Continentals seem like they'd go forever and they have a higher load rating than the OEM Wranglers.

I don't have direct experience with these in this application. It's just what I found while looking. Hope it helps...

V-Dub
2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide CVO - V&H HO's & PC-V
V-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:43 AM   #26

My PU came with Continentals like those, they were not very good in the snow or on ice, so if you go with them take care in the winter.

Tags
tire, tires, tow vehicle