Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #1

Tow Vehicle (toad) Info Please

We are taking the plunge into a tow vehicle for our Lexington. I have checked and rechecked the internet for flat towable vehicles, and get some mixed information. So for those of you that have TV's, what do you tow? I've talked with several people on our latest trip (4500miles!) and majority had CRV's, someone had Ford Edge (thought you couldn't tow those), one had a Lexus RX350, others had cars, we are in need of small SUV.
We have a 5000 lb limit.
HELP!

Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Andi.........

Have a look at the Motorhome section of the forums and then specifically under the heading of Georgetown. Have a look at the thread about "Towing Information" and you'll see where I referenced a link about finding out which vehicles can be flat towed (all 4 wheels on the ground) or not. This might explain why you saw certain vehicles on your recent trip being towed. A link can be accessed for any number of model years of vehicles.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #3

Thanks Ken and Terry...this is getting confusing, but your site may help.
Andi
Old 09-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Check the website I referenced for the SUV's that are flat towable. You mentioned you nede a small SUV and the Honda CRV is the SUV of choice for flat towing...........I'm just not sure if it has to be AWD or FWD. Although they no longer make them, the Saturn VUE, which is a small SUV, has been seen flat towed, but again I'm not sure what drive train design it must have.......AWD vs FWD.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #5

We towed our 2010 CRV four down and it was the AWD/4 wheel drive model.
2013 Cardinal 3030RL
B&W Companion Hitch
“Trail Air” air bag pin box
jt1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #6

We tow a jeep. Most jeeps come with a transmission made for flat towing. Press a button and the transfer case disconnects. Just finished 10500 miles towing it. Watch and you will see most flat tows are jeeps. The towing is done with the transmission in park, key out in your pocket and doors locked. No pumps, no leaving the car in neutral and the key in the ignition.
oldprof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #7

I have a georgetown 34' that tows my 2005 Wrangler (easy flat tow) and I also sometimes tow the wife's 2007 Chevy HHR (also a easy flat tow suv) neither vehicles require any changes to driveline...
papataz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #8

Well, after driving alot of cars last week, we settled on the Honda CRV. We traded in our Suburban for it and OMG! The difference in mpg!! I knew it would be significant, but WOW!
Now we need to get smart on Tow Bars like Blue Ox...seems like I'm always writing a check for something RV related
Thanks for the info everyone...see you on the road.
Andi
Old 09-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #9

Congrats on your new CRV. We are on our second one and have had good luck with all of our Honda's. We had the Roadmaster tow kit installed and I have found it's easy to use and my wife likes that it can be easily removed when we're not towing on a regular basis. We also used the Easy Brake system.
2013 Cardinal 3030RL
B&W Companion Hitch
“Trail Air” air bag pin box
jt1920 is offline   Reply With Quote