Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2015, 04:01 PM   #1

Tow vehicle truck or SUV

I'm looking for a new truck and I've got narrowed down to a Yukon and a silverado they both have the same engine and transmission and tow package just wondering which one would be better for towing
MikeCarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #2

The lighter one.
Lighter TV will give you a larger weight cushion or room for more stuff.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:15 PM   #3

I haven't checked the tow ratings, but since the Yukon is likely heavier than the Silverado, it will have a lower tow capacity.

2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37MBH
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L, DRW, 4.10 Rear end
BGKirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #4

My guess is the trucks wheel base will be longer = better towing. Most trucks are built for working... Most SUV's are built for riding, in my opinion. Don't forget too that when it pours down rain Sunday morning, you'll need to put all that wet stuff somewhere... Either inside your SUV or in the bed of the truck. This was a kicker for me to move away from the SUV... Bikes and/or firewood. No place to carry them in an SUV.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 03-15-2015, 05:09 PM   #5

Have had both

We had a 31' TT until last May and for a little while we had a Yukon and a 1500 Silverado. The Yukon would pull it but had a lot more trouble with sway control. I got to the point I refused to pull it with the Yukon. The Yukon appeared to have a softer suspension and I think that was the reason I had more trouble with it than my truck. FYI I do have a lot of experience pulling trailers and have had my CDL 18 years. My advise would be the truck over the SUV unless you need the extra passenger space. Either way you go just make sure you stay close to the rated capacity of the vehicle.

IMHO the main thing is
Steven379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:43 PM   #6

Yukon is basically a "soccer Mom " vehicle , meaning it is designed for ride and hauling people and light luggage. Longer wheelbase is best......Remember with a long trailer if it gets to whipping or swaying all of a sudden you have "the tail wagging the dog".......IMO buy the heaviest duty truck that you can afford just for the safety and stability of the tow vehicle ! ! !
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47chevy View Post
Yukon is basically a "soccer Mom " vehicle , meaning it is designed for ride and hauling people and light luggage. Longer wheelbase is best......Remember with a long trailer if it gets to whipping or swaying all of a sudden you have "the tail wagging the dog".......IMO buy the heaviest duty truck that you can afford just for the safety and stability of the tow vehicle ! ! !
NO! Just because the OP said "new" doesn't mean "brand new" but could maybe be "new to him/her," and I can assure you our 2004 Yukon XL 2500 SLT is no soccer mom grocery getter just because it has the 3rd row bench! It's a 2wd, 8.1L, 4.10 geared, 8600 GVW and stickered payload is with 2440# payload (toss the 3rd seat for at least another 75#) and the maximum trailer weight is 12,000# and GCWR is 19,000#. Stoutest full-size SUV GM ever offered!

OK, so if new means "brand new" I'd go pickup as well.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
Site Team

Unless it's the 3/4 ton Yukon, then the Silverado will have more towing capacity and way more payload.
Mike, just because they have the same engine, trans and tow package, really doesn't mean that much.
it's more about the entire specs of the vehicle.
trucks' capabilities can vary wildly, depending on the specs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #9

Look up the formula on the internet that figures the wheelbase of the vehicle and how long of a trailer you can safely pull. I know there are several formulas out there but I think you will quickly see the Yukon/Tahoe does not appear to be the best choice for a longer trailer. We were faced with this same question, and we decided on the longer wheelbase on the truck.
DeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #10

You'll be much more stable and comfortable with the longer wheelbase of a truck. Unless you're towing a pop up, I'd go with the Silverado.
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:25 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

My vote is with the truck. We like to use the truck bed to store a lot of things and debated either a topper or a cover and went with the 4-piece hard-plastic cover because it locks and, also, isn't very hard to remove if needed. (A one-person job.)

Sure you don't want a Tundra? :-)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:01 AM   #12
Engineer of Crazy Train

My 2 cents. All depends on your total use of the vehicle, and if your vehicle can handle your trailer. Towing a few times a year, but using it the rest of the year as a grocery getter, get the SUV. Towing a lot, and using it for stuff like hauling wood and stuff, get the truck. That is if BOTH can handle your trailer. If not, more than likely, the truck can better handle the trailer.

As far as wheelbase, longer is better on the highway, but man, my libby can make nice u-turns with the trailer...too good, as I have to make sure I don't corner the trailer.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:12 AM   #13

Old 03-18-2015, 06:14 AM   #14

Thanks for all your input I should have said I was looking used. I have decided not to trade in my old f150 just yet even though it struggles a bit in the mountains and has a hefty repair. It's good to know if I do trade it in it will be another pickup I just like the idea of being able to lock stuff up in a SUV since it would be my daily driver too. Some day I'd like to get a larger Tt and don't want my truck to be too small to handle it.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
NO! Just because the OP said "new" doesn't mean "brand new" but could maybe be "new to him/her," and I can assure you our 2004 Yukon XL 2500 SLT is no soccer mom grocery getter just because it has the 3rd row bench! It's a 2wd, 8.1L, 4.10 geared, 8600 GVW and stickered payload is with 2440# payload (toss the 3rd seat for at least another 75#) and the maximum trailer weight is 12,000# and GCWR is 19,000#. Stoutest full-size SUV GM ever offered!

OK, so if new means "brand new" I'd go pickup as well.
Given em hell goe.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle, truck