Old 05-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
Tow/weight questions...Some help please??

We are purchasing a hardwall trailer after a BAD experience with a hybrid. Some of you may have read my posts pertaining to that in other threads.

Anyhow, long story short, I am CONFUSED! We have a 2010 Chev Silverado, Crew Cab with a 4.3L V8, 3.23 axle ratio that we still owe $ on for the next 4 years...don't wanna cook the tranny, either!!!

GWVR is 6800 lb
GAWR FRT is 3650 lb
GAWR RR is 3950 lb
GCWR is 10,000 lbs

I only know this because I am pretty good at reading manuals....

What I'm not good at is making sense of this...What is the size/weight of unit I should purchase? Not planning any trips to the mountains with this thing, some peaks and valleys, mostly flat ground. I am so confused by dry weights, axles, etc...I have looked high and low but cannot seem to find a simple answer without a lot of calculation. The dealer we purchased the truck from had no idea, either. Also, I'd like to know what would happen if I was say, 1000 pounds over???

Any help and advice you guys can give me is greatly appreciated! You sure can't get much in the 5000 lb and under category!!!

wagstaff76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Well, for starters, all your numbers are GROSS numbers, good thing to know. Now you also need to know what the truck is, as it sits in the driveway, full of fuel, and wife and dog, and children on board, and anything else you would put in it to go camping, coolers, firewood, etc. Once you know that, then you can start doing the calculations, as to what you can tow, SAFELY!!!!!!!! Mountains , hills, dessert, have nothing to do with it, what can you tow safely!!!!

I'm guessing, and it's late (early), and I won't take the time to look it up, but your truck is going to be between 4500 and 5000 pounds. That leaves 5000 pounds max for trailer weight. Just a place to start, more later.

2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
A little confused. I think the 4.3 was a V6. The 4.8 was a V8. Looking at the stats here, only the 4.8 L was included with a Crew Cab in 2010. And the only 3.23 final drive ratio was in the 4x2 pickups, since the OP did not list the whether it was 4x4 or not. Looks like 4700 lbs. is the maximum tow weight. That matches up pretty good with the GCWR.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Wagstaff, I recall your hybrid experience. So, you're looking to replace and are doing the right thing checking weights first. Good job!

It would help if you could post two more ratings for your truck - Towing cap and payload.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
The 4.3 was not in the crew cab, you have the 4.8 v8, however due to having the 3.23 your total towing weight is only 4,700. IMO you are going to have hard time finding a TT in that range. Truck resale rates are high, you may be surprised at the trade value of you TV. I traded a 2010 2500 in 11 had it 11 months and came out of the deal very good on the positive side financially , may want to look into it, that will open up your selection on TT, hate to see compromise on a TT as you will have it longer than the TV.
2011 GMC 3500HD 4x4 Crew DRW Duramax
Pullrite 20.5K
2012 Sierra 365SAQ
2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote