Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #1

Tow with a 2015 or newer 6.2l max tow silverado

Hello, hope everyone is doing well. do you have a Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 6.2L and 8 speed transmission? how do you like it?

I'm considering one of this as well as a 2500 Silverado with the 6.0L

the 1500 with the 6.2L would sounds like it will be a fun truck to drive while is not towing anything. I already test drive the 2500 and I like it a lot. I would like to know from current owners what they think about their truck. I have seen a few of them for sale with low miles... makes me wonder why people change their mind other that to get more payload.
Camping-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #2

I had a newer ram 1500 and loved it. Upgraded to a ram 2500 for one reason. more payload and towing. don't get me wrong I love the truck but it has one purpose. towing. the rest of the time I'm just getting awful guess mileage and bouncing around like a lumber wagon. My 1/2 rode like a car.

if I ever downsize to a smaller camper ill down size the truck for sure.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping-man View Post
Hello, hope everyone is doing well. do you have a Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 6.2L and 8 speed transmission? how do you like it?

I'm considering one of this as well as a 2500 Silverado with the 6.0L

the 1500 with the 6.2L would sounds like it will be a fun truck to drive while is not towing anything. I already test drive the 2500 and I like it a lot. I would like to know from current owners what they think about their truck. I have seen a few of them for sale with low miles... makes me wonder why people change their mind other that to get more payload.
I suspect you hit the nail on the head about trade-ins. Gas mileage. Not something I dwell on, the only 'fuel efficient' vehicle we own is a sebring convertible (which ironically enough, is my primary winter car). i'm sure you'll get some truck guys chiming in between the two you mentioned
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

If you are buying a vehicle for good gas mileage...then a truck is not the answer.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #5

I have an 2010 Escalade with the 6.2 and the 6-speed tranny and just upgraded to a 07 F-350 Diesel. We use it to pull the 33'Rockwood TT @ about 7500 lbs.

Fun truck to drive, but I just couldn't justify continuing to tow with it. I realize the 6.2 went through some changes between the model years but I've also been researching those and am finding mixed reviews on the 8-speed as well. If it we're me and I could rewind the clock and I never would have purchased the Escalade.

I had to do the following:
Replaced the tranny
Upgraded tranny cooler
Motor mounts (all)
Rear seal was leaking
Oil pan leaks
Lower temp thermostat
Replaced rear air-ride shocks (2x)
Unven tire wear -replace tires (probably next year).
OBD scanner and the torque app to watch the engine temps (the Esky has a guage but no numbers and an idiot light).

The 6.2 is an all aluminum engine and it just doesn't handle heavy loads well. There is a very good reason they don't put that motor in the 2500 series trucks. The engine temp would shoot up on the hills and in the mountains I was sweating bullets pulling up long grades. It'll pull just fine if you don't watch any of the guages. In fact, it seems to have more power in most circumstances than my new 1-ton Dually.

I suppose a newer vehicle might perform slightly better just because it's newer than my 2010 Esky but if you're planning on keeping it a while and continuing to pull with it for years to come I'd look more seriously at the 2500HD you mentioned.

The Esky is mainly the family hauler now. We all pile in the CC F350 for camping trips (we have 6 in our family) now. I don't have a care at all with the larger truck and I get a lot better gas mileage when towing and around town it's surprisingly close even with the Dually tires.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #6

I did not mention anything about MPG on my post. however since it has been brought up in two of the replies, I suspect the Silverado will be comparable to our 08 Suburban. we get around 21 mpg on the highway while not towing. with the camper on tow we get around 13 mpg. I also have an 07 expedition with a 5.4L that gets me around 20 mpg oh the highway and 12 mpg with the camper on tow. I consider this to be respectable MPG #'s considering they are full size SUVs.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #7

Quote:
I did not mention anything about MPG on my post. however since it has been brought up in two of the replies, I suspect the Silverado will be comparable to our 08 Suburban. we get around 21 mpg on the highway while not towing. with the camper on tow we get around 13 mpg. I also have an 07 expedition with a 5.4L that gets me around 20 mpg oh the highway and 12 mpg with the camper on tow. I consider this to be respectable MPG #'s considering they are full size SUVs.
I seriously doubt you'd see that kind of gas mileage with the 6.2 while towing. I think I got like 6mpg with mine. We would stop every hour and a half to fill it up.

With the truck I can pull for 4.5 or more hours before having to fill up. (Both vehicles have about a 30 gallon tank).

What does your camper weigh?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I have an 2010 Escalade with the 6.2 and the 6-speed tranny and just upgraded to a 07 F-350 Diesel. We use it to pull the 33'Rockwood TT @ about 7500 lbs.

Fun truck to drive, but I just couldn't justify continuing to tow with it. I realize the 6.2 went through some changes between the model years but I've also been researching those and am finding mixed reviews on the 8-speed as well. If it we're me and I could rewind the clock and I never would have purchased the Escalade.

I had to do the following:
Replaced the tranny
Upgraded tranny cooler
Motor mounts (all)
Rear seal was leaking
Oil pan leaks
Lower temp thermostat
Replaced rear air-ride shocks (2x)
Unven tire wear -replace tires (probably next year).
OBD scanner and the torque app to watch the engine temps (the Esky has a guage but no numbers and an idiot light).

The 6.2 is an all aluminum engine and it just doesn't handle heavy loads well. There is a very good reason they don't put that motor in the 2500 series trucks. The engine temp would shoot up on the hills and in the mountains I was sweating bullets pulling up long grades. It'll pull just fine if you don't watch any of the guages. In fact, it seems to have more power in most circumstances than my new 1-ton Dually.

I suppose a newer vehicle might perform slightly better just because it's newer than my 2010 Esky but if you're planning on keeping it a while and continuing to pull with it for years to come I'd look more seriously at the 2500HD you mentioned.

The Esky is mainly the family hauler now. We all pile in the CC F350 for camping trips (we have 6 in our family) now. I don't have a care at all with the larger truck and I get a lot better gas mileage when towing and around town it's surprisingly close even with the Dually tires.
thanks for the input,

We have a 08 Suburban LTZ and it pulls the camper very nice. I also has to replace the rear air shocks and front struts, brakes all the way around. I fixed the crack dash. Aside from the crack dash, the other repairs I consider routine maintenance. our suburban has 145k miles and is still going strong. Our camper is also not as heavy as yours; we live in Houston TX and the area around us is pretty flat so the TV don't struggle much to tow the camper.

the new 6.2L makes 420 hp and 460 lbs. of torque. Other that requiring premium gas, I don't see anything wrong with them.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #9

Seriously.. ask yourself this question.

The 6.2 makes more horsepower than the 6.0. if you were GM in an extremely competitive market place why wouldn't you choose to out that in your HD truck and save money by not continuing to machine the 6.0 (which has been around for probably 15yrs or more) and simplifying your power train lineup?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Seriously.. ask yourself this question.

The 6.2 makes more horsepower than the 6.0. if you were GM in an extremely competitive market place why wouldn't you choose to out that in your HD truck and save money by not continuing to machine the 6.0 (which has been around for probably 15yrs or more) and simplifying your power train lineup?
Why get rid of an engine that has proven itself to be reliable?

I have a 2015 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0L and 4.10 rear end with 66,000+ miles on it now...

It is a trailer hauling beast...most especially in the Rocky Mountains!

And the only continual problem I keep having with this truck is blown speakers!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	883.6 KB
ID:	168905  
Old 04-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #11

our camper weights around 5500 dry weight according to the rockwood website.

I'm in the automotive industry, that's what I do for a living. the 6.0L is a work horse, is reliable and cheap to maintain. that's why they put it on all the commercial vehicles. the 6.2l is more of a hot rod engine. that's why the escalades, Denali, and even some corvettes have it (is a lot more powerful in the Vette).

IMO the 6.2L is for a different market than the 6.0L that's why they have both engines.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #12

Quote:
I keep saying it here...but nobody listens:

Dry weight doesn't mean squat!

It is loaded weight that matters!

Old 04-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #13

Quote:

I'm in the automotive industry, that's what I do for a living. the 6.0L is a work horse, is reliable and cheap to maintain. that's why they put it on all the commercial vehicles. the 6.2l is more of a hot rod engine. that's why the escalades, Denali, and even some corvettes have it (is a lot more powerful in the Vette).

IMO the 6.2L is for a different market than the 6.0L that's why they have both engines.
According to Rockwoods website our camper should be around 6000lbs. However, the actual is around 6700 dry. We're around 7500 when loaded, gas in the tanks, etc.

If you think the 6.2 is fine and a great engine then why are you even asking the question?

All I'm saying is I'd fo the 2500HD route. It's built to haul and will have more headroom if you decide to get a larger trailer.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post

I completely agree with you.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #15

Quote:

If you're "in" the industry then a diesel should be on your short list. I'm not going to say it's a "no brainer" because it seems that people with lots of grey matter use none of it.

Towing: Diesel
Gas: Groceries
vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #16

That 6.2L in the 1/2T uses premium fuel, at least its reccomended. The main reason I wouldn't buy it.

LOL...and it didn't take long for the "diesel" comments to enter the thread!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #17

Quote:

Quote:
I completely agree with you.
X3! Dry weight is just a marketing ploy for suckers and newbies who don't know better.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #18

Quote:

He already says he is towing it fine with his 1/2T Suburban so whatever truck he is looking at will tow it fine as well.

His question is what people think about the 6.2L in a 1500.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #19

An interesting and timely video popped up on my YouTube feed..

It's a Yukon XL Denali (6.2) towing 7k on flat with no headwind = a little over 9 mpg.

https://youtu.be/-suURa67Lz4
Old 04-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #20

Quote:
An interesting and timely video popped up on my YouTube feed..

It's a Yukon XL Denali (6.2) towing 7k on flat with no headwind = a little over 9 mpg.

https://youtu.be/-suURa67Lz4
They did tow at 70 MPH though.