Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 130
Tow with a 2015 or newer 6.2l max tow silverado

Hello, hope everyone is doing well. do you have a Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 6.2L and 8 speed transmission? how do you like it?

I'm considering one of this as well as a 2500 Silverado with the 6.0L

the 1500 with the 6.2L would sounds like it will be a fun truck to drive while is not towing anything. I already test drive the 2500 and I like it a lot. I would like to know from current owners what they think about their truck. I have seen a few of them for sale with low miles... makes me wonder why people change their mind other that to get more payload.
__________________

Camping-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 980
I had a newer ram 1500 and loved it. Upgraded to a ram 2500 for one reason. more payload and towing. don't get me wrong I love the truck but it has one purpose. towing. the rest of the time I'm just getting awful guess mileage and bouncing around like a lumber wagon. My 1/2 rode like a car.

if I ever downsize to a smaller camper ill down size the truck for sure.
__________________

Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
MillMitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: MN
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping-man View Post
Hello, hope everyone is doing well. do you have a Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 6.2L and 8 speed transmission? how do you like it?

I'm considering one of this as well as a 2500 Silverado with the 6.0L

the 1500 with the 6.2L would sounds like it will be a fun truck to drive while is not towing anything. I already test drive the 2500 and I like it a lot. I would like to know from current owners what they think about their truck. I have seen a few of them for sale with low miles... makes me wonder why people change their mind other that to get more payload.
I suspect you hit the nail on the head about trade-ins. Gas mileage. Not something I dwell on, the only 'fuel efficient' vehicle we own is a sebring convertible (which ironically enough, is my primary winter car). i'm sure you'll get some truck guys chiming in between the two you mentioned
__________________
Mitch in MN
2018 Patriot (Grey Wolf) 23MK travel trailer
2011 Durango 5.7L and OEM tow package
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 1,865
If you are buying a vehicle for good gas mileage...then a truck is not the answer.

__________________
JohnD
2015 Heartland Prowler P292 5'ver (SOB)
2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L Gasser w/4.10 rear axle

Just because someone has been "doing it for years with no problems" doesn't mean you should!
JohnD10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 810
I have an 2010 Escalade with the 6.2 and the 6-speed tranny and just upgraded to a 07 F-350 Diesel. We use it to pull the 33'Rockwood TT @ about 7500 lbs.

Fun truck to drive, but I just couldn't justify continuing to tow with it. I realize the 6.2 went through some changes between the model years but I've also been researching those and am finding mixed reviews on the 8-speed as well. If it we're me and I could rewind the clock and I never would have purchased the Escalade.

I had to do the following:
Replaced the tranny
Upgraded tranny cooler
Motor mounts (all)
Rear seal was leaking
Oil pan leaks
Lower temp thermostat
Replaced rear air-ride shocks (2x)
Unven tire wear -replace tires (probably next year).
OBD scanner and the torque app to watch the engine temps (the Esky has a guage but no numbers and an idiot light).

The 6.2 is an all aluminum engine and it just doesn't handle heavy loads well. There is a very good reason they don't put that motor in the 2500 series trucks. The engine temp would shoot up on the hills and in the mountains I was sweating bullets pulling up long grades. It'll pull just fine if you don't watch any of the guages. In fact, it seems to have more power in most circumstances than my new 1-ton Dually.

I suppose a newer vehicle might perform slightly better just because it's newer than my 2010 Esky but if you're planning on keeping it a while and continuing to pull with it for years to come I'd look more seriously at the 2500HD you mentioned.

The Esky is mainly the family hauler now. We all pile in the CC F350 for camping trips (we have 6 in our family) now. I don't have a care at all with the larger truck and I get a lot better gas mileage when towing and around town it's surprisingly close even with the Dually tires.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 130
I did not mention anything about MPG on my post. however since it has been brought up in two of the replies, I suspect the Silverado will be comparable to our 08 Suburban. we get around 21 mpg on the highway while not towing. with the camper on tow we get around 13 mpg. I also have an 07 expedition with a 5.4L that gets me around 20 mpg oh the highway and 12 mpg with the camper on tow. I consider this to be respectable MPG #'s considering they are full size SUVs.
Camping-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping-man View Post
I did not mention anything about MPG on my post. however since it has been brought up in two of the replies, I suspect the Silverado will be comparable to our 08 Suburban. we get around 21 mpg on the highway while not towing. with the camper on tow we get around 13 mpg. I also have an 07 expedition with a 5.4L that gets me around 20 mpg oh the highway and 12 mpg with the camper on tow. I consider this to be respectable MPG #'s considering they are full size SUVs.
I seriously doubt you'd see that kind of gas mileage with the 6.2 while towing. I think I got like 6mpg with mine. We would stop every hour and a half to fill it up.

With the truck I can pull for 4.5 or more hours before having to fill up. (Both vehicles have about a 30 gallon tank).

What does your camper weigh?
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I have an 2010 Escalade with the 6.2 and the 6-speed tranny and just upgraded to a 07 F-350 Diesel. We use it to pull the 33'Rockwood TT @ about 7500 lbs.

Fun truck to drive, but I just couldn't justify continuing to tow with it. I realize the 6.2 went through some changes between the model years but I've also been researching those and am finding mixed reviews on the 8-speed as well. If it we're me and I could rewind the clock and I never would have purchased the Escalade.

I had to do the following:
Replaced the tranny
Upgraded tranny cooler
Motor mounts (all)
Rear seal was leaking
Oil pan leaks
Lower temp thermostat
Replaced rear air-ride shocks (2x)
Unven tire wear -replace tires (probably next year).
OBD scanner and the torque app to watch the engine temps (the Esky has a guage but no numbers and an idiot light).

The 6.2 is an all aluminum engine and it just doesn't handle heavy loads well. There is a very good reason they don't put that motor in the 2500 series trucks. The engine temp would shoot up on the hills and in the mountains I was sweating bullets pulling up long grades. It'll pull just fine if you don't watch any of the guages. In fact, it seems to have more power in most circumstances than my new 1-ton Dually.

I suppose a newer vehicle might perform slightly better just because it's newer than my 2010 Esky but if you're planning on keeping it a while and continuing to pull with it for years to come I'd look more seriously at the 2500HD you mentioned.

The Esky is mainly the family hauler now. We all pile in the CC F350 for camping trips (we have 6 in our family) now. I don't have a care at all with the larger truck and I get a lot better gas mileage when towing and around town it's surprisingly close even with the Dually tires.
thanks for the input,

We have a 08 Suburban LTZ and it pulls the camper very nice. I also has to replace the rear air shocks and front struts, brakes all the way around. I fixed the crack dash. Aside from the crack dash, the other repairs I consider routine maintenance. our suburban has 145k miles and is still going strong. Our camper is also not as heavy as yours; we live in Houston TX and the area around us is pretty flat so the TV don't struggle much to tow the camper.

the new 6.2L makes 420 hp and 460 lbs. of torque. Other that requiring premium gas, I don't see anything wrong with them.
Camping-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 810
Seriously.. ask yourself this question.

The 6.2 makes more horsepower than the 6.0. if you were GM in an extremely competitive market place why wouldn't you choose to out that in your HD truck and save money by not continuing to machine the 6.0 (which has been around for probably 15yrs or more) and simplifying your power train lineup?
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #10
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Seriously.. ask yourself this question.

The 6.2 makes more horsepower than the 6.0. if you were GM in an extremely competitive market place why wouldn't you choose to out that in your HD truck and save money by not continuing to machine the 6.0 (which has been around for probably 15yrs or more) and simplifying your power train lineup?
Why get rid of an engine that has proven itself to be reliable?

I have a 2015 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0L and 4.10 rear end with 66,000+ miles on it now...

It is a trailer hauling beast...most especially in the Rocky Mountains!

And the only continual problem I keep having with this truck is blown speakers!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	883.6 KB
ID:	168905  
__________________

__________________
JohnD
2015 Heartland Prowler P292 5'ver (SOB)
2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L Gasser w/4.10 rear axle

Just because someone has been "doing it for years with no problems" doesn't mean you should!
JohnD10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.