Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #1

Smile Towed with a Hensley

I don't want to sound like I'm selling a product here, but I do want to let you all know that there is a product that will ease your mind, your arms, your butt and make a passing truck,buss, and high winds completely un-noticeable.
I towed from Mi to AZ and back last year a 2010 30' Rockwood 8319SS with a 2007 1/2ton HD Silverado using a Hensley hitch. Kind of pricey but if you are bothered with high winds and trailer sway, Check out the web site. It'll be the best money spent..
When I sold my Rockwood and got the CC 5th wheel I traded my Hensley in for the Hensley trailer saver 5th wheel hitch. Very nice hitch and I don't feel the 5er at all behind me.
I have no affiliation with Hensley in any way except that I advertise for them on my web site, but when I find something I like and know it'll help someone, I like to tell all and even plug them on my web site.
www.hensleymfg.com

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
Grape Escape

Not to knock the Hensley but I have a Reese signature 5th hitch and forget the 5th wheel is attached behind us. 5th wheel towing is a whole different ball game.
No more white knuckles other than when some idiot cuts you off because they can't see the 8x12x33'trailer in tow
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
No more white knuckles other than when some idiot cuts you off because they can't see the 8x12x33'trailer in tow
I can fully understand that! Seems to be a lot of those screwball's out there.
If I were to go back to hauling a travel trailer,I'd have to get another Hensley. Safety and piece of mind it's the best bet on the road.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Old 11-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #4

I use the EQUALIZER W/D S/C hitch and have no problems with passing anything.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #5

Yep it`s nice not to have sway. I use a Reese Dual Cam and it is the best money I`ve spent. no sway and ease of towing!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #6

Us Too!

Hello,

We have owned and towed with a Hensley Arrow hitch assembly since 1996. Would not tow a tag along type trailer without the Hensley Arrow. Count it as one of the absolute best items we have ever purchased. Can't beat it for safety and peace of mind while towing.

Thanks,
Eric
ELJ1st500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELJ1st500 View Post
Hello,

We have owned and towed with a Hensley Arrow hitch assembly since 1996. Would not tow a tag along type trailer without the Hensley Arrow. Count it as one of the absolute best items we have ever purchased. Can't beat it for safety and peace of mind while towing.

Thanks,
Eric
That's cool Eric..It is the best hitch available. Glad to hear you have one and are happy with it.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsthetwoofus View Post
That's cool Eric..It is the best hitch available. Glad to hear you have one and are happy with it.

Hello,

My friends think I sound like a commercial for Hensley whenever I talk about that hitch. I can't help it though. I am serious when I say I will not tow a travel trailer or an enclosed car trailer without a Hensley Arrow.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 11-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #9

Smile

No doubt in my mind Eric. I know just what your saying. Most people look at the price and that makes their decision not to buy one. A person can contact the company and get a re furbished one for just 2,500. It's better then the 3000.00 cost of the new one. BUT no matter what you pay for one, you will never be sorry.
Ya know what Eric..I don't work for Hensley either but after having one for better then 4000 miles, I'm a firm believer that every trailer needs to be hooked to one so the driver can drive and not worry about that trailer behind him.
I love their 60 day free trial and the money back guarantee. AND the lifetime guarantee once you own it.

That's why I have the Hensley Trailer Saver hooked to my 5th wheel..
This is no sales pitch!! Honest. Just suggesting and food for thought.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #10

Hello,

I always recommend the Hensley Arrow to anyone that wants to talk trailer hitches with me. Yes, it is pricey, but it is worth every penny in my book.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 11-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #11

OK After reading about them and hearing you guys talk about them. I found a Hensley Arrow in a auction super cheep. Haven t had a chance to tow with it yet. But I like the idea everthing stays on the trailer. No more storing bars and sway control in my storeage boxies.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flirtypup View Post
OK After reading about them and hearing you guys talk about them. I found a Hensley Arrow in a auction super cheep. Haven t had a chance to tow with it yet. But I like the idea everthing stays on the trailer. No more storing bars and sway control in my storeage boxies.

Hello,

Good luck with your Hensley. I am sure that you will not be disappointed.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 11-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #13

Husky Centerline WD with active sway control here.

No issues at all.

great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #14

Smile

We bought a used hensley on ebay 6 years ago on ebay, packed the bearing a couple of times thats about it, what convinced me of the safety aspect was when I had to make a 65mph evasive maneuver and panic stop on I95 from the fast lane to the shoulder and was in complete control! Does anyone with a hensley notice that the bar settings are somewhat sensitive? I have a lot of tongue weight now, it will be a 150 lb. lighter when we get our new trailer so it may be less of a problem.
Dave and Rainy

2002 excursion v10
05 crossroads cruiser(soon to be forest river palomino sabre)
daverain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:04 AM   #15
Wanna Be Camper

I have done alot of thinking about this and I think we are going to get a Pro Pride unit in the next year. I have run into sway from cross winds using a Blue Ox and I will say it is not plesant when it happens. I think the Pro Pride and Hensley are awesome, I just think the PP has fine tuned a few things as well as being more adjustable for different TV's without factory support and if I need to spend that kind of $$ well it is what it is. But there will be others who disagree. Of course if I found a smoking deal on a Hensley well I would take it no problems I think.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
I have done alot of thinking about this and I think we are going to get a Pro Pride unit in the next year. I have run into sway from cross winds using a Blue Ox and I will say it is not plesant when it happens. I think the Pro Pride and Hensley are awesome, I just think the PP has fine tuned a few things as well as being more adjustable for different TV's without factory support and if I need to spend that kind of $$ well it is what it is. But there will be others who disagree. Of course if I found a smoking deal on a Hensley well I would take it no problems I think.
I had the same situation as you. I purchased a Rockwood 2901SS this summer (33 ft long camper) and the dealer suggested a Blue Ox (he also sells Equalizer). The hitch towed great except in severe cross winds and then WHOA, never got above 55 mph on the interstate. I found a great deal on a Hensley so I now tow with it. Got it installed but only used it once before putting the trailer away for the winter but on that one trip it pull "straight as an arrow".
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #17

I am right with all of you also. I hate to sound like I am a promoter for Hensley, but I absolutely love the system. It tows great it is fast and easy to hook up. I just purchased a new tow vehicle which is considerably taller than the last one. I live in the next community from where Hensley is located so I went to there office and just like they said they gave me a new hitch-bar with a greater drop on it. Unfortunately it was not enough so when I called they told me just to bring it back and they would get me one with a 8" drop. While there I picked up a TruControl Gold brake controller and it is great also I am very happy with it, the Tekonsha Primus IQ I had worked well also but there was alot of adjusting needed. Once I found the right setting I never had to touch the Hensley controller again. I also picked up a pair of the X-Cholcks which sadly my axles were too close to get it between the wheels, when I called Hensley, I think I spoke with Pat, he was very helpful and even suggested a different brand (in fact there competition) which he was also right about that also. The good news was they fit my brothers trailer and he felt it made a huge difference in the stability of the trailer! Terry, Aaron and Pat (or Ron sorry!) are all great to deal with.

FYI ......The Sasks, they are now selling reconditioned units. I was talking to them about them when I was there as my brother wants one but does not want to part with the money!
Hensley TruControl Gold Brake Controller
scweaver is offline   Reply With Quote