Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #1

Towing 2012 Ford Focus Auto

Just wondering if anyone has had experience towing ford focus auto trans. Ford manual indicates turning ignition to position 2 ( engine running )then shifting to Neutral then turning ignition to 0 position which is key withdrawl position. Then of course disconnecting neutra battery cable When I try doing this ignition only rotates back to 1 position (accessories) with with key not being able to be withdrawn.
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomore9-5 View Post
Just wondering if anyone has had experience towing ford focus auto trans. Ford manual indicates turning ignition to position 2 ( engine running )then shifting to Neutral then turning ignition to 0 position which is key withdrawl position. Then of course disconnecting neutra battery cable When I try doing this ignition only rotates back to 1 position (accessories) with with key not being able to be withdrawn.
Yes I posted a focus with Roadmaster brackets I installed a month ago. Do not attempt to leave key in 0, the steering would be locked. Yes all 5 cars I've flat towed must leave key in Ing. With battery disconnected bad guys can't get it. LOL Book describes it this way also (Ford) manual.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #3

Vince thanks. Never considered steering lock senerio in key withdrawl position. Good thing didn't happen but makes you wonder why engineering types at Ford who put out manual didn't catch that prior to it going to print.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #4

If you disconnect batt cable, how do you get power for toad braking system?

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
If you disconnect batt cable, how do you get power for toad braking system?

Bill
Wire direct, otherwise internal draws will ko battery in a long tow. Not for sure about amount of current draw, but this is the best automatic for towing, has internal lube pump driven by tailshaft lubes entire trans all the time. There are electronics feeding back to brain, hate to chance Fords wisdom and cause damage. They are very emphatic to disconnect battery.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #6

RV tech who did towbar and brake buddy install wired power for bb direct from battery.Instructions from Ford are to run vehicle within 15 minutes when done towing.We usually take car for 15 minute run to recharge although after reading this I may get bb power rewired from motorhome instead.