Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #11

Jeep diesel

I have had 3 trailers in the last 12 years and 2 tow vehicles. 1st trailer 17' towed by and AWD Astro, lots of sway and i thought it was normal. 2nd trailer 99 terry 28' pulled by astro with sway for 1 summer, at the end of the summer I installed a Hensley pulled by 98 AWD Astro until 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel took over no sway, traded 99 terry for 2011 23o4s this past summer and I had to pull it home with the old ball hitch ( lots of sway and no I did not waste my time installing a friction sway control ) Installed the Hensley sway gone completly gone. I won't pull a travel trailer any distance with out the Hensley and I may have to consider a pro-pride as they work by same principle. you have no sway, better control, and no white knuckles. Yes they are somewhat pricey but what price do you put on safety and piece of mind.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:39 PM   #12

Thanks for the information. Its good to see others pulling with same vehicle. Got my 3P ordered and will install myself soon. Sean has been very helpful so far. Did you make any changes to your Jeep. I've installed a chip which added lots of low-end torque for towing and a module to help with thottle response.

Thinking of changing the rear shocks for Monroe "SENSA-TRAC® LOAD ADJUSTING SHOCK ABSORBERS" or "REFLEX™ TRUCK SHOCK ABSORBERS"

Old 09-30-2010, 06:46 AM   #13

Jeep diesel

No modifications strictly a stock Jeep GC Overland although I have heard of the various chips available for the time being I'm leaving it stock. On our old Astro I installed air shocks that I could pump up to adjust ride height ( I had already replaced the steel leaf springs once to the tune of $700.00 each plus labour, air shocks were a cheaper alternative ) with the soft long travel suspension of the Jeep I am considering doing the same. I also find the stock receiver is too big as every draw bar I have put in is loose and CLUNK even while pulling the trailer, do you have this problem?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #14

Haven't noticed any clunking noise yet. Only been a few trips so far.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by harell View Post
I also find the stock receiver is too big as every draw bar I have put in is loose and CLUNK even while pulling the trailer, do you have this problem?
I have this issue with our 2005 Liberty. Seems Jeep is using larger than normal receiver material on their Class III hitches. I added a little weld bead to the top and bottom of my hitch for pulling our boat and it stopped the clunking but then it won't fit in anyone elses stock receiver. I think Jeep is trying to cut corners and lower costs by using non-standard receiver tube.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to luthernil
Towing

I also had a hard time selecting the right hitch for towing my Jeep Wrangler. The good thing is it was fixed 2 weeks ago and I had this new Jeep Wrangler Hard Top to customize my Jeep a bit.