Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #1

Towing 2902ss with 2008 Grand Cherokee Jeep Diesel 3.0L

Hello,
I just purchased a Rockwood 2902ss TT and will be towing it with my 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel 3.0L. Its has plenty of power (245hp / 425tq) so that is not an issue. what I find is I get alot of bounce and sway when using 7 links on my Weight Distribution hitch (800lb) and a little less bounce but steering and sway are still an issue with 6 links. Been thinking of going to the ProPride solution. Will this help? Should I install Monroe rear shocks with overload springs.

Jeep Information:
Tongue Weight: 750 lb
Towing Capacity: 7400 lb

2902ss Information:
Tongue Weight: 625 lb
Dry weight: 5,798 lb
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #2

Well, I'm sure you are going to get a lot of input from the senior members here as well. But I think one of the biggest issues you face is length of trailer compared to the wheelbase of the vehicle you are towing it with. That is one long trailer and a Cherokee doesn't have a very long wheelbase. I tow a 2501SS with a Yukon XL and with it I am getting close to the limits of length. There is a table that shows recommended wheelbase and length of trailer that you can find in the searches.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjsas View Post
Well, I'm sure you are going to get a lot of input from the senior members here as well. But I think one of the biggest issues you face is length of trailer compared to the wheelbase of the vehicle you are towing it with. That is one long trailer and a Cherokee doesn't have a very long wheelbase. I tow a 2501SS with a Yukon XL and with it I am getting close to the limits of length. There is a table that shows recommended wheelbase and length of trailer that you can find in the searches.
Yep!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
President ProPride, Inc.

You have two issues there... bounce and sway. Bounce is a weight distribution issue and sway is a pivot point issue. Unfortunately, with a conventional hitch, fixing one will negatively impact the other.

The two previous responses are correct about the wheel base to trailer length ratio when using a conventional hitch. A conventional hitch requires adequate wheel base to counteract the lever arm load placed at the hitch ball when the trailer begins to sway. The ProPride 3P projects the effective pivot point 52" forward of the hitch ball so that there is no lever arm load placed on the hitch ball.

The bounce is a weight distribution problem. You are not distributing enough tongue weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle and that allows it to bounce. The 3P uses a weight distribution jack that is variable and can be jacked to the proper height for the required distribution. The weight distribution is also independent of the sway elimination so you will not negatively impact the stability by adequately distributing the tongue weight.

-
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #5

Hi Sean,
Thanks for the insight to my towing issue. I look forward to installing the 3P and seeing the difference.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #6

Wow I just looked at the 3P website, Impressive but they want $2345.00. That is quite an investment. I am happy with my Equilizer 4 way WDSC hitch at this time.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

WestCoastRV'er, you are pulling about the longest trailer that Rockwood has to offer (33'4" overall) with a fairly short wheelbased tow vehicle (109.5"). The ProPride might help with sway going down the road, but I doubt it is going to help much in an emergency situation when you have to come down on your brakes hard.

A good rule of thumb is to divide your tow vehicle wheelbase in inches by 5, and that should be the maximum total trailer length in feet. With a 109.5" wheelbase tow vehicle, that should indicate a maximum of a 22' trailer.

Also, you are going to be pretty close weight wise. Your stated 7400 lb. towing maximum might be reached by the time you load options onto the dry weight of the camper, and then the weight of your camping gear. Also, you need to consider what you are going to be carrying in the Jeep so you don't exceed the GCWR (gross combined weight rating).

I would also be concerned with the hitch weight rating. The listed 614 lbs. tongue weight of that trailer will grow. In my case, the hitch weight increased over 150 lbs. over stated specs., and I load back heavy to try to keep this weight manageable for my 800 lb. WDH.

Your trailer and tow vehicle combination is not an ideal setup, so just be aware of things. Be careful out there.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #8

Thanks for all your replies,
Yes I know the trailer may exceed my tow capacity and tongue weight if I dont manage camping supplies wisely. The reason I got this trailer is I plan to have it for many years but the Jeep will be replaced in the next couple years with a Dodge Ram 4X4 dually diesel. For the next couple years I plan to take it to the lake and leave it there all summer. I will have to keep speeds down (80-90km) and ensure I have plenty of stopping distance between me and the vehicles infront of me.

Thanks Again
Old 09-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
Grape Escape

Trailer brakes are meant to stop the trailer not the tv brakes. Thats why they are installed on the trailer.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #10
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Trailer brakes are meant to stop the trailer not the tv brakes. Thats why they are installed on the trailer.

Spot on post, dezolen.

I would be willing to bet on the Jeep stopping shorter than a larger tow vehicle if both were hitched to the same length and weight trailer.
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #11

Jeep diesel

I have had 3 trailers in the last 12 years and 2 tow vehicles. 1st trailer 17' towed by and AWD Astro, lots of sway and i thought it was normal. 2nd trailer 99 terry 28' pulled by astro with sway for 1 summer, at the end of the summer I installed a Hensley pulled by 98 AWD Astro until 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel took over no sway, traded 99 terry for 2011 23o4s this past summer and I had to pull it home with the old ball hitch ( lots of sway and no I did not waste my time installing a friction sway control ) Installed the Hensley sway gone completly gone. I won't pull a travel trailer any distance with out the Hensley and I may have to consider a pro-pride as they work by same principle. you have no sway, better control, and no white knuckles. Yes they are somewhat pricey but what price do you put on safety and piece of mind.
harell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #12

Thanks for the information. Its good to see others pulling with same vehicle. Got my 3P ordered and will install myself soon. Sean has been very helpful so far. Did you make any changes to your Jeep. I've installed a chip which added lots of low-end torque for towing and a module to help with thottle response.

Thinking of changing the rear shocks for Monroe "SENSA-TRACŪ LOAD ADJUSTING SHOCK ABSORBERS" or "REFLEX™ TRUCK SHOCK ABSORBERS"
Old 09-30-2010, 05:46 AM   #13

Jeep diesel

No modifications strictly a stock Jeep GC Overland although I have heard of the various chips available for the time being I'm leaving it stock. On our old Astro I installed air shocks that I could pump up to adjust ride height ( I had already replaced the steel leaf springs once to the tune of $700.00 each plus labour, air shocks were a cheaper alternative ) with the soft long travel suspension of the Jeep I am considering doing the same. I also find the stock receiver is too big as every draw bar I have put in is loose and CLUNK even while pulling the trailer, do you have this problem?
harell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #14

Haven't noticed any clunking noise yet. Only been a few trips so far.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by harell View Post
I also find the stock receiver is too big as every draw bar I have put in is loose and CLUNK even while pulling the trailer, do you have this problem?
I have this issue with our 2005 Liberty. Seems Jeep is using larger than normal receiver material on their Class III hitches. I added a little weld bead to the top and bottom of my hitch for pulling our boat and it stopped the clunking but then it won't fit in anyone elses stock receiver. I think Jeep is trying to cut corners and lower costs by using non-standard receiver tube.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to luthernil
Towing

I also had a hard time selecting the right hitch for towing my Jeep Wrangler. The good thing is it was fixed 2 weeks ago and I had this new Jeep Wrangler Hard Top to customize my Jeep a bit.
luthernil is offline   Reply With Quote