Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2016, 11:45 PM   #1

Towing 365SAQB from GA to IN?

Tow vehicle is a 2001 F350 Dually (7.3 diesel). It's not the Rockies, but there are some pretty decent inclines going through Tennessee and Kentucky. Anyone done a similar trip with a similar sized 5er?
tmsbandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You will be just fine. Take it easy going up and down the mountains. Go down the mountain in the same gear you go up in. Use your engine instead of your brakes. That diesel will be your best friend going down the mountain. When you do use your brakes, do a quick 10 mph deceleration and then let off the brakes, use the engine to keep your speed down.

My fiver weighs 12,300 lb loaded, I have a duramax 3500 SRW and no issues going from NC to IN. Been up and down some long 7% grades without even a little issue. Slow and easy, you will be fine.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
You will be just fine. Take it easy going up and down the mountains. Go down the mountain in the same gear you go up in. Use your engine instead of your brakes. That diesel will be your best friend going down the mountain. When you do use your brakes, do a quick 10 mph deceleration and then let off the brakes, use the engine to keep your speed down.

My fiver weighs 12,300 lb loaded, I have a duramax 3500 SRW and no issues going from NC to IN. Been up and down some long 7% grades without even a little issue. Slow and easy, you will be fine.

Thank you. I feel better. I neglected to include "4x4" in my TV description. I read something about using 4x4 low going downhill. Is that legit? Doesn't seem like 4x4 low would go at any kind of highway speed, but would 4x4 high be helpful? Also-truck only has stock gauges. Exhaust is very open (4" straight pipe from turbo back, exits in front of wheel). Do I need to get something to monitor Trans temp and EGT?
tmsbandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:57 PM   #4

I wouldn't do it. I don't think you have enough truck.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Don't use 4x4 that will tear up your transfer case. My truck is newer so it came with a tranny temp monitor. It is helpful info to have and many do run them but is not 100% necessary. That said the tranny temp monitor on my old armada helped keep me from burning up my engine taking my old tt up a mountain. When the temps rose, I down shifted and the tranny cooled off some. Without the monitor, I wouldn't have known to do that.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:51 AM   #6

I've made the trip from VA to IN towing a 365 with a 06 ram 3500 SRW a few times and it's no problem at all. Your over thinking it. Just take your time and drive normal. That truck should go up and down the mountains just fine. Definitely do not use 4x4 just use your tow\haul mode and you won't have any problems.
inspectorgf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
365, 365saq, towing