Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2015, 08:24 PM   #1

Towing

I currently have a 2014 dodge ram 2500hd 6.4 bed truck. I want to buy a Rockwood signature Ultra lite trailer that includes a reese revolution pin box. Im wondering if anyone has this combination or close and how they resolved the hitch in the truck issue? Please advise T
TerranceThearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:31 PM   #2
Always Learning

What kitch in the truck issue? The Reese Revolution Pin Box is designed to rotate back at the pin box vs. at the hitch which means it can be used with short bed trucks.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #3

Thanks for your response The issue is that ive repeatley have been told that the reese revolution requires no special hitch in the truck. But when I ask an installer for hitch purchase advise they all tell me I will need a slider in the truck bed Reese tells me that this sets up a conflict two moving parts. I was hoping someone with a 6.4 short bed had knowledge pertaining to this issue and any help would be appreciated thanks T
Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerranceThearle View Post
Thanks for your response The issue is that ive repeatley have been told that the reese revolution requires no special hitch in the truck. But when I ask an installer for hitch purchase advise they all tell me I will need a slider in the truck bed Reese tells me that this sets up a conflict two moving parts. I was hoping someone with a 6.4 short bed had knowledge pertaining to this issue and any help would be appreciated thanks T
With the Revolution, you do not need a slider. You do need a "wedge" to "activate" the Revolution.

I know that a handful of members here use them - OldCoot and HSVBamaBob are two that come to mind.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:17 PM   #5
WFD

ependydad is correct...you will require a wedge to activate the Reese Revolution but it will come equipped with one. The problem is the O.E.M wedge works for some but not all...You may have to order a custom wedge for it to work effectively, good news is they are not very expensive. Some have used the O.E.M wedge without issue, depends on the hitch.
If I were you I would seek a different hitch installer, because they obviously don't know their stuff. They should know a wedge would be used and that you would actually not have 2 moving parts causing a conflict. All that happens with the Reese Revolution is that the pivot gets pushed back approx 22 inches to pivot at the pinbox and not at the pin.
Our set up is similar to yours, not a Dodge, but a GM, but that really is of little importance. We have a 6 1/2 ft box similar to yours. We have a slider hitch but also have a Reese Revolution. We have used the trailer with both the Revolution activated and not. With it activated, quite unlikely you would ever have need for a slider hitch. Even with the Revolution not activated, I have never needed to use my slider, but it's there if ever the situation arises. I de-activated the Revolution because the O.E.M wedge was giving me grief, and I have not gotten around to finding a custom wedge. If you have not yet bought a hitch, I would just go with the standard hitch and activate the Revolution using the proper custom wedge. It will save you about $400. The instructions that we got with the Rockwood trailer about activating the Revolution were very clear and well illustrated.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:51 PM   #6

I pretty much understand your answer which is more than what I can say about the other solutions I have received Your current reese revolution is not in use and you pretty much rely on your slider hitch. You advise me to install a regular hitch and a wedge for the reese revolution oem 8289 rockwood which is the exact same rig I want to purchase. They also want me to de activate the revolution and purchase a slider for an additional 3500 installed Sound like conflict and robbery to me Thanks T
Old 01-14-2015, 11:06 PM   #7

Also I just purchased this Dodge ram truck so I cant answer about its economy or much else I will be finding out shortly. My reason for buying it is for towing a rockwood 8289 like yours Thanks T
Old 01-15-2015, 04:16 AM   #8

When you activate the revolution check your axle/trailer tire wt.....also pin wt....to see if it takes away or adds too....IMO more pin wt and less trailer tire wt is always better.
As long as limits not exceeded.....good luck...

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
When you activate the revolution check your axle/trailer tire wt.....also pin wt....to see if it takes away or adds too....IMO more pin wt and less trailer tire wt is always better.
As long as limits not exceeded.....good luck...
Would the weights change ?? I can't get my head around why that would happen.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Would the weights change ?? I can't get my head around why that would happen.
Activating the Revolution will not have any influence whatsoever on the weights.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #11
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
I currently have a 2014 dodge ram 2500hd 6.4 bed truck. I want to buy a Rockwood signature Ultra lite trailer that includes a reese revolution pin box. Im wondering if anyone has this combination or close and how they resolved the hitch in the truck issue? Please advise T
I towed the Flagstaff version of that ultra-lite with my RAM 1500 5.7 shortbed and the Reese revolution set up with absolutely no problems whatsoever....your 2500 is more than sufficient
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:16 AM   #12

I've got virtually the same setup you have (Flagstaff version), with the Revolution. You do NOT need a slider. Weight distribution is not affected (the pivot is moved aft but the wt remains the same -- applied over the rear axle). One caution: Since the wedge is set for your particular hitch, it must be adjusted if towed by a different truck. My setup tows beautifully.

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Activating the Revolution will not have any influence whatsoever on the weights.
That was my thinking.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #14

Quote:
I pretty much understand your answer which is more than what I can say about the other solutions I have received Your current reese revolution is not in use and you pretty much rely on your slider hitch. You advise me to install a regular hitch and a wedge for the reese revolution oem 8289 rockwood which is the exact same rig I want to purchase. They also want me to de activate the revolution and purchase a slider for an additional 3500 installed Sound like conflict and robbery to me Thanks T
Terrance, yes indeed, that is a conflict and absolutely, it's robbery. The whole point of the Revolution is so that you don't need a slider hitch with a shortbed. To deactivate it only to add a slider is a complete waste of money. The Revolution will come with the wedge that others have mentioned. The wedge is to simply stop the trailer from pivoting at the hitch so that it only pivots back under the trailer. As others have also stated, the revolution has no effect on weight distribution on the pin or truck. As to the hitch, if you want to maintain the flat surface in your bed when the hitch is removed, I'd recommend B&W or the Reese Elite. Both have under bed mounting rails that leave you with a flat bed when the hitch is removed.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #15
Hawksclaw554

Terrence, I am towing my 2014 Rockwood 8289ws with a 2012 Ram 2500 4x4 mega cab with short bed 6.7 cummins diesel. I used the sidewinder and have never had a problem. Pulls like it is not even back there. Longest pull to date has been from Baton Rouge, Louisiana to Walt Disney world. About 700 miles each way. Once I hitch up I check the air pressure in my tires including spare then do a walk around to check lights, turn signals etc. Since the Chinese bombs are rated for a max of 65 mph I tow at 60 mph in the right lane. I turn on Tow/Haul and Engine exhaust brake. Once on Interstate I set cruise at 60 and enjoy the ride. If some one cuts in and is close I disengage cruise also do same in the rain. I have a standard reese hitch the dealer threw in so you can be sure it is not the highest of quality. I have backed into some very tight spots. One thing I found out when I went to pick up the trailer was the mechanics ( I use that term loosely) had no clue on how to set the sidewinder up. It was two hours and 5 bozos trying to figure it out. Now this dealer has an very large selection of Rockwoods with the sidewinder so you think they would have a class on it. It comes with a universal wedge which they had to grind down to fit in the throat of my hitch. When I got home I called the Sidewinder folks and got an engineer on the phone. He explained the proper way to set it up. They also make custom wedges for certain hitch brands. Anyway set hitch in sidewinder mode, connect to standard fifth wheel hitch and enjoy. They also tried to sell me a nylon hitch plate that reduces friction it you tow a regular 5th wheel without the sidewinder. I had to explain to them it was not needed since the pivot point was 22 inches back, in the case of my Ram 2500 its a little past the tailgate. Also I lube the sides of the wedge and throat and the bottom of the hitch pin assembly every few months with some white spray lituium grease I got at the local auto parts store, slides in locks real easy.
Hawksclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #16

I have a Ram 1500 short bed. Standard hitch and a Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite with the revolution hitch. Works wonderfully.

xs1ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #17

More confusion Wilbur. My original question was will the reese revolution pin box eliminate the need for a special hitch (slider) in my 2015 ram 2500hd 6.4 box bed.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #18

Quote:
More confusion Wilbur. My original question was will the reese revolution pin box eliminate the need for a special hitch (slider) in my 2015 ram 2500hd 6.4 box bed.
Not following you here Terrance. It would appear we all have given you your answer. No slider needed with your truck and a Reese Revolution pinbox...
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #19
Infractee

I do believe that question has been answered several times.
With the revolution you will not need (nor can use) a slider hitch.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
My original question was will the reese revolution pin box eliminate the need for a special hitch (slider) in my 2015 ram 2500hd 6.4 box bed.
Yes. You eliminate the need for a special slider hitch by activating the Reese Revolution.

Tags
towing