Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2007, 12:09 PM   #1

Towing 8317SS

We placed an order for 8317SS which we will pick up in the spring.

I'm at the poing that we are looking for a tow vehicle. My original idea was to go with '08 f-150 KR. Went through some numbers with the dealer and it seems that we should be within specs.

The vehicle will be used as my daily commuter and we will make maybe 8 camping trips a year.

Now, I know that the f-250 would tow it much nicer with the v-10. But here is the negatives - higher initial price, I hear it's not as nice/comfortable for everyday driving, higher fuel consumption and overall seems to be an overkill of a truck for everyday use.

I know that power will be one of the limitations of the f-150 - going uphill that is. Second, might be payload.

We have traded up from our FR HW2580 which had a towing weight of about 3500lbs. We towed it with '03 Sorento. Pulling it uphill had been a struggle and at times the engine seemed to work harder than I would've liked. We were getting to a point that I was seriously thinking of getting a heavier duty vehicle as I thought we were running the vehicle down, like maybe an Analanche for the tent trailer. But, then we decided to upgrade the trailer as well.

Will I experience the same negative things as with the tent trailer? I know pickup truck are built differently, so maybe I wouldn't necessarily be running the vehicle down. I really would like to stay with the f150 for above reasons but at the same time I would like to have a pleasant towing experience. I'm not looking to race on the highway either.

I like how the f150 looks in and out. Also, the backup camera for '08 is a major plus. I know for '09, there might be some more engine choices, but our timing is off. I would've loved to get a 6L into the f150 with comparable fuel economy.

Another option would be GMC Sierra with the Vortex package and their 6L engine - this engine has similar gas mileage to the 5.4l f-150 (at least on paper). But, I like f-150 better, plus GMC does not have the backup camera.

I would appreciate some feedback and things that maybe I have missed?

Thanks.
finny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #2

we had a 2003 expedition 5.4 liter and we were not comfortable going uphill, really lugged hard, and I didnt want to burn up the tranny, so we sold it and bought a used excursion w/ v10, soo much better now. I think the f150 also has the 5.4, I think it will be ok on flat land, but going uphill may make you a little white knucle if you know what I mean
Old 12-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #3

I have a family member who pulls 6400 dry with a 2007 4.6 quad cab.

It works ok on the flats but he has stated it would never make the hills that his 2005 5.4 ext cab would have.

So I am not much help but he spoke highly of the 5.4 ext cab and the 6400 dry weight and he tows heavy. BUT HE NEVER HIT THE HILLS WITH THE 5.6 either

My opinion buy a bit more truck than you need and enjoy the trip. As per my sig I have a bigger truck and I am fortunate to work from home so it goes to the airport or the campground and thats about it. But I have pulled heavy with a 4600lb triler and a s-10 and was not over loaded but I always felt white knuckled

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:46 PM   #4

I'm thinking a CAT D10 would be appropriate

Plenty of power both on the flats and the hills; although speed and mileage may suffer with all that power. Passenger capacity isn't all that greate either.

please disregard any posts made by aintgotnun this evening as they may be tequila inspired.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:03 AM   #5

i vote for the Chevy Silverado 2500hd /6.0
Old 12-12-2007, 09:09 PM   #6

8 camping trips a year? I think your King Ranch with the 5.4 and 373 gears will be just fine for your 8008lb max trailer. With all the numbers crunched, you are about 800 to 1200lb under your max. Depending on your options on the F150......18 or 20 inch rims, 4WD or 2WD, you will still be under.

I am not sure if you would want to go with the V10 if you are going to be using it as a daily commuter......ouch.....but it can't be good and the price difference between the F150 and the Siera or Silverado, I went with the F150.

Good luck in your decision, I know I spent about 3 months researching and I ended up with the F150. Best bang for the buck.

MrSen

Night's camped in 2010 36
MrSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #7

I use my F-150 for every day use as well. My TT max weight is 7,800 lbs.(dry-5,680), TV max is 8,000 lbs. I stay 200 to 500 lbs. below my max TT weight when I tow (including anything I have loaded in my TV). I don't have any mountains to pull, but a few hills here in eastern OK. So far the TV has handled everything very well.
I'm like you. I really like my F-150. Very comfortable and I like the looks inside and out.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8317ss