Canadian Contingent

I'll admit it. I'm overweight.

Oh.....I just noticed we're talking about towing and not physical prowess. LOL

(A little light hearted humor)

Old 12-05-2015, 02:17 AM   #62
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I think a few have said that ALL trucks over 5 tons GCWR need to stop in the MD weigh stations according to the state. They do not seem to enforce though.
GVWR - truck alone. I'm over and supposed to stop. But as mentioned- it is NOT enforced. And, I don't stop.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:34 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
You would still need to technically stop, your over 5 tons. I think ependydad is the one who found the final ruling from the state. For the record, I've never stopped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you do not have to stop unless you're hauling that RV commercially, it is not enforced because you do not have a dot number and company name on your pickups, these weigh stations are for anything with a dot number on it, you will never be bothered by them, but throw a number on your door and they will chase you down

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-05-2015, 05:21 AM   #64
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerky View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, you do not have to stop unless you're hauling that RV commercially, it is not enforced because you do not have a dot number and company name on your pickups, these weigh stations are for anything with a dot number on it, you will never be bothered by them, but throw a number on your door and they will chase you down

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Now that I think back to the time I got pulled into a "checkpoint" (which just happened to be located at a weight station) I asked the inspector if I'm supposed to stop. Response was no unless they were doing the occasional safety check. In that case the RV would be notified (via flashing blue lights) of the need to stop.

If you're hauling horses into Florida you're supposed to stop at the first point for a check of proper health paperwork for the animals. They also do a "safety" check but don't bother to look at weights.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #65
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
GVWR - truck alone. I'm over and supposed to stop. But as mentioned- it is NOT enforced. And, I don't stop.
Thanks, could not remember if it was combination or weight. I remember you putting the leg work in to get the final answer from the MD dot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #66
Ambassador

This seems like a silly question, something similar to how many of you walk around with loaded shotguns to your head.. if you do either you had better be walking on egg shells.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K. View Post
This seems like a silly question, something similar to how many of you walk around with loaded shotguns to your head.. if you do either you had better be walking on egg shells.
Not no where near the same thing.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K. View Post
Not even close to apples & oranges in comparison...... more like apples to redwood trees....... Not at all the same............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #69

I am right at 80% of my towing capacity. But, when I figure tongue weight, gear, passengers, bicycles on the front of the truck and two kayaks on top I am probably exceeding my truck capacity. DW says I should go on a diet.

2013 Ford f-150 5.0 3.55
2015 Rockwood 2703ws
Old 12-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #70

If you are commercial can be a different story but the likely hood of of any citation or law suit for being a little overweight is SLIM TO NONE unless it is grossly obvious........... If you are towing a 10000 lb TT with a Ranger maybe....... although a local guy has a duelly Ranger

Most of the trailers I pull don't any longer have the weight ratings due to sun fading & I have a 10000 lb permanent tag on my single axle box trailer (Way over what it can carry) And .......... you can not necessarily go by the number of studs the axle has either........... So it is not always an easy thing to prove........ one way or the other................

Doing the right thing is important being paranoid is crazy........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing