Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2015, 09:47 PM   #21
Who Dares, Wins

And to think... Next month the X-Files are back,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:00 PM   #22
Oklahoma Proud

I live in the country and we haul hay and equipment from time to time. In my old 2005 duramax 2500hd i pulled alot of weight from time to time. My triple axle gooseneck weighs about 7100 lb and I've hauled a 12-14,000 lb tractor on it alot. Sometimes with an extra bucket and with a rhino side by side on too. A couple of times i had to haul an 18,000 lb machine a few miles. I didnt like it, but it worked in a pinch. Not sure the actual tow rating on my old 2500, but the pin weight was easy to adjust .....i just moved the machine till the truck sat right. I never really squatted the truck, tried to haul with the truck sitting level.

Now for towing my sabre, i was right at the limit of my payload with my 2500hd, but i only hauled it empty to my seasonal site twice and back to the dealer once. With my new 3500, ill be fine
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
That's assuming they can figure out who you are from a profile
They can, and if you are sued in a wrongful death suit they will. The plaitiffs attorney's will know more about you than you do about yourself. All they have to do is subpeona this site, that will lead them to your ISP, and unless your a member of Anonymous your not anonymous. Believe it or not people have been sued for slander and libel because of forum posts and lots more $ is involved in a wrongful death. Don't consider anything safe now days.

The NHTSA, weight police, or Dept of Transporation won't be coming after you but
If you're knowingly exceeding specs, get lots of insurance and make sure it doesnt have the disclaimers that void it because you knowingly operated above limits. Good luck findng that. Its your house and everything else you own at risk.

I personally could care less what anyone else does except when it could endanger my family. If you tow overloaded and then brag about it I won't openly post what my opinion is of you, but its not good which doesn't matter one iota. When I see someone overloaded I give them a wide berth. Its easy to tell. I used to frequent a Honda Ridgeline forum. They had an entire section where everyone bragged for my stones are bigger than yours rights who towed the most over limits and capacities. That section was popular. Most people who posted on it were total morons.

I'm also not lilly white either, and have towed overweight........I didn't brag about it. A few years back a buddy ran a red light and killed a woman and child. He lost everything by the time they were done with him, and he had a lot of everything. That was without giving the other side extra ammuntion.

Now I'll take off my tin foil hat.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:29 AM   #24

The attorney would have to figure if smokingun was john doe & that might take more time that it is worth. They would have to check all RV sites and probably 100 or more ISPs just from this site alone. Not saying they would not but...... all to get the $1.50 that I don't have..........

You are right about one thing depending on the attorney, judge, etc. Anything can happen, whether over weight or not. We have a great attorney here (using the term loosely) He got a lady off for running through a stopped school bus red lights going & hit a child..... because the Commonwealth Attorney could not prove the that big yellow thing with blinking red lights met the legal definition of a school bus in the Commonwealth of Virginia. He got a young man off for breaking into our friends camper & his finger prints were all over it.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:51 AM   #25

Right at GAWR & GCWR, under max tow rate, over payload weight. Air bags keep it level, "E" rated tires carry the load and a good brake controller stops the trailer. Vehicle maintained more often than required.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #26

As always do your homework..... not knowing what to expect when we started out I bought a used 22 foot Terry pulled it several years. I did not know until we bought a new trailer that the 1973 had NO working trailer brakes....... & we stopped fine pulled it up and down the east coast even in DC traffic......... But the 1/2 trucks back then were real trucks not the bud cans that they are today....... come to think about it bud cans back then were real cans not like the paper they make them out of today.....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-04-2015, 08:38 AM   #27

Quote:
The attorney would have to figure if smokingun was john doe & that might take more time that it is worth. They would have to check all RV sites and probably 100 or more ISPs just from this site alone. Not saying they would not but...... all to get the $1.50 that I don't have..........

You are right about one thing depending on the attorney, judge, etc. Anything can happen, whether over weight or not. We have a great attorney here (using the term loosely) He got a lady off for running through a stopped school bus red lights going & hit a child..... because the Commonwealth Attorney could not prove the that big yellow thing with blinking red lights met the legal definition of a school bus in the Commonwealth of Virginia. He got a young man off for breaking into our friends camper & his finger prints were all over it.......
Haaaaa, I'd have to bet you have a little more than a buck fifty sitting around.

When you get into the numbers that come with unlawful death suits you have the paralegals whose whole purpose is to dig up every tidbit they can find to reinforce their case. Towing and towing safety are huge. There are no shortage of lawsuits every year involving towing accidents nationally. They know how to find stuff and having something where a person publicly stated they were ignoring limits on purpose..........that's huge. A case winner.

We had a guy take a dive off a building under construction....clear suicide. His wife sued for wrongful death to the tune of 26 million despite the guy telling people for months, including the wife, that he intended to kill himself and had found a way to do it. They attempted to call it a construction accident. The wrongful death suit took close to 5 years and millions in preparation. It eventually was dismissed but to make a long story short our insurance companies attorney showed us some of the things the other side had obtained about myself, and some of the other onsite supervisors, to use if it had ever gone to jury trail. The whole game is flinging crap at walls to see what sticks. I still don't believe some of the stuff they found. I'm not sure how some of it would of helped them but it made me open my eyes to what they can dig up when the potential is there to make some money.

A public forum post by someone would stick to the wall really well.

Most people take this kind of crap with a grain of salt, I have learned not to.

Now I remove my tinfoil hat again

Quote:
But the 1/2 trucks back then were real trucks not the bud cans that they are today....... come to think about it bud cans back then were real cans not like the paper they make them out of today.....
Haaa. they're not cans, they're cars lol. They stopped being 1/2 ton trucks and became 1/2 ton cars around 1990. I think my last real 1/2 ton truck was a 1987.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #28

I would not tow over the rated maximum for the vehicle. While most vehicles can tow well over their maximum you will run into more wear and tear due to straining the various components. In particular I would expect to see things like the transmission, suspension and brakes have more problems. If you are ever in an accident you also have potential legal problems. It wouldn't be hard for an attorney to show you were negligent by being overloaded as all of the towing specs are published and readily calculated. The best thing is to buy a trailer that is suitable for vehicle and when you buy a new TV buy larger than you currently need to allow for an upgraded trailer in the future.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:11 AM   #29

I was concerned about this issue so I ran my rig over the scales just last week. Good results....GCVR 2,400 pounds below max, trailer (with Harley inside) has over 2,000 pounds of payload remaining, the worst axle load was more than 2000 pounds below rated capacity. Truck was full fuel, two people inside and shows 510 pounds of payload remaining.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #30

I think I am under but not by much as I would like to be....I have tried to find what my truck is rated for but no luck. I do know the payload capacity but not the combined trailer towing capacity........... All I have found is what a general engine / axle rating for that year truck rating is......... But another potential issue is someone before me has done so mods that I have tried to undo . The vin number has been of no help......

My question when your camper is spread over 4 lanes of interstate how can anyone know you were overweight? (Assuming you are not driving a new truck that the computer might tell you). I don't even want to think how many times I have seen that......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #31
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
I think I am under but not by much as I would like to be....I have tried to find what my truck is rated for but no luck. I do know the payload capacity but not the combined trailer towing capacity........... All I have found is what a general engine / axle rating for that year truck rating is......... But another potential issue is someone before me has done so mods that I have tried to undo . The vin number has been of no help......

My question when your camper is spread over 4 lanes of interstate how can anyone know you were overweight? (Assuming you are not driving a new truck that the computer might tell you). I don't even want to think how many times I have seen that......

Mods do not increase the rating of the truck. I am sure someone (or many) will argue this but the sticker is the sticker. You may think that blower and chip made your truck more capable (and it MAY have) but the rating is still its rating. As far as the computer, just over 10 years ago we had a fatal crash involving a speeding SUV. the computer was sent in and inspected by the maker. It told us how fast the vehicle was going, g forces and all the data about brakes and throttle position. You do not necessary need a "New" vehicle.

If your trailer is spread out over four lanes of highway, I do not know. I guess they will scoop up the parts and weight em? But this is just a though.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 12-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #32

Quote:

According to what I found on the Dodge website the GCWR is 21,000 or 23,000 lbs depending upon the rear end (I also made some assumptions about model, body style, etc). It also has a max trailer weight of 16,300 lbs. but that of course that could be lower based on other factors. Here is the link to the main website page:

Dodge Towing Guide - By Vehicle
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #33
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Haaaaa, I'd have to bet you have a little more than a buck fifty sitting around.

When you get into the numbers that come with unlawful death suits you have the paralegals whose whole purpose is to dig up every tidbit they can find to reinforce their case. Towing and towing safety are huge. There are no shortage of lawsuits every year involving towing accidents nationally. They know how to find stuff and having something where a person publicly stated they were ignoring limits on purpose..........that's huge. A case winner.

We had a guy take a dive off a building under construction....clear suicide. His wife sued for wrongful death to the tune of 26 million despite the guy telling people for months, including the wife, that he intended to kill himself and had found a way to do it. They attempted to call it a construction accident. The wrongful death suit took close to 5 years and millions in preparation. It eventually was dismissed but to make a long story short our insurance companies attorney showed us some of the things the other side had obtained about myself, and some of the other onsite supervisors, to use if it had ever gone to jury trail. The whole game is flinging crap at walls to see what sticks. I still don't believe some of the stuff they found. I'm not sure how some of it would of helped them but it made me open my eyes to what they can dig up when the potential is there to make some money.

A public forum post by someone would stick to the wall really well.

Most people take this kind of crap with a grain of salt, I have learned not to.

Now I remove my tinfoil hat again

Haaa. they're not cans, they're cars lol. They stopped being 1/2 ton trucks and became 1/2 ton cars around 1990. I think my last real 1/2 ton truck was a 1987.

All kidding aside, and no foil hats... I am shocked at the amount of people who do just not give a rats hind end what they are doing. I cringe when I am passed by a minivan full of a family, roof loaded with a roof carrier and a trailer bigger than mine. Or these small suvs (CRV, Explorer types) pulling a 30ft TT behind them.

I am also JUST AS SHOCKED by the amount of well educated and informed people HERE that blatantly disregard the "Lawyer Sticker" as it is called here.
They will fight to the death that their 250/2500 is just a 350/3500 minus some overload springs or a steel block.. While that MAY be true that does not make them a 3500 because they added them...

Or their 1500 / 150 can pull a 5er with three axles and the size of a bus because they know that the car company "just said they could not to make money or sell another larger truck." They will argue that they know what they are doing and the people who build the vehicle did not. Because they know better, and they know what their vehicle can "actually" tow.. I cringe and laugh to myself at the same time reading this.

Am I towing over weight.. I actually have NO IDEA. I have a 2500 pulling a trailer that is max weighted at 7500 lbs or so.. I would not think so as I am not a hoarder but I have never actually hit a scale, though I would like to. Would I knowingly put my family at risk or those on the road to have an extra foot of leg room? I would hope not. Do I think if I were in a crash I would be weighed and sued over it... I do not know.

The reality is we get these threads once a month and someone always says they will be sued and arrested / cited for being over weight. But I have yet to ever get or see a true case where this happened to an RVer (not commercial vehicle). They are more of an Urban Legend to me.. Someone always new someone who had a friend kind of thing...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 12-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
If your trailer is spread out over four lanes of highway, I do not know. I guess they will scoop up the parts and weight em? But this is just a though.
If your simply spread out over 4 lanes, even if another vehicle is involved and no major injuries, probably not. They might "make a guess" that you were but only from the standpoint of writing you a citation. At that level all you're talking is a couple hundred in potential fines.

If someone over in lane #3 was killed however, you can bet they are going to pick that 4 lanes of trailer apart with a fine tooth comb. I would not be surprised at all if they loaded it all up and hauled it off to the scales.

A young man here in PA of the southern Amish variety lost a flat trailer with a bobcat a few years back, it went into the opposite lane and killed some people. He's doing some major jail time. Being overloaded was part of it in addition to some other things like improper tie downs, inoperative brakes etc. They had to cart that mess off the road and weigh it somehow you would think?
Old 12-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #35
Who Dares, Wins

You are right... At minimum it would be weighted as it is brought to the dump or scrap yard..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 12-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #36

Quote:
The reality is we get these threads once a month and someone always says they will be sued and arrested / cited for being over weight. But I have yet to ever get or see a true case where this happened to an RVer (not commercial vehicle). They are more of an Urban Legend to me.. Someone always new someone who had a friend kind of thing...
The only thing I know is I'm not going to be the guy that disproves your theory doc73. Lots of others though could care less taking the chance as you have already noted.

I like the tin foil hat.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:36 AM   #37

Here's a good site for Dodge weight limits: Dodge Towing Guide - By Vehicle
Old 12-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #38
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
The only thing I know is I'm not going to be the guy that disproves your theory doc73. Lots of others though could care less taking the chance as you have already noted.

I like the tin foil hat.
Oh, I say this, but I agree with you 1000% I do not want to be the first dummy either...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 12-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #39

got my pop corn in the micro....
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #40

Quote:
All kidding aside, and no foil hats... I am shocked at the amount of people who do just not give a rats hind end what they are doing. I cringe when I am passed by a minivan full of a family, roof loaded with a roof carrier and a trailer bigger than mine. Or these small suvs (CRV, Explorer types) pulling a 30ft TT behind them.

I am also JUST AS SHOCKED by the amount of well educated and informed people HERE that blatantly disregard the "Lawyer Sticker" as it is called here.
Just for poops and giggles and kicks, leaf through some of the idiotic posts in this link. Keep in mind we're talking something with a unibody, a payload of around 1500, 6000 tow rating and 10K GCWR with some models/ years having lower capacities.

Ridgeline's can tow (photos) - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

Tags
towing